Ratings & Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

277 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/02/21 at 23:59

It's a funny old game Saint(s).

Not at our best and rode our luck. But three point none the less. How does that work?

Not great game  management from Deano. Why no subs (95 mins does not count)? You would think we would want to get some game time for Trez, Morgan or even Marvellous.

Good goal. Gave my man of match to Targett, I thought he played well. Konsa and Martinez also deserve a mention.

Another big game with one our mini league contenders next.

• Like 1

I said it before the game but playing that front 6 makes us too easy to play against. I would start either Marvelous or Trez and then use the other players from the bench to keep up the intensity. Having said that, I am thrilled with the jammy 3 points because it’s the first time all season we have enjoyed some luck of the good variety. UTV. Well done boys

1 minute ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Funny bunch on here, great result. Played some nice stuff and their goal was offside, no sympathy for them cos we've had it many times..

My only criticism is I really wish Dean would use subs a bit earlier 

Some very over the top reactions. We looked far more composed than against Burnley even if we weren't as attacking.

Good to see we can win ugly. Worked hard, showed that you can grind these results out if you're capable of a few moments of quality.

I love Smith and he deserves all the praise in the world, but he really does need to make earlier subs. Some of the lads were dead on their feet tonight, and our squad isn't deep enough to be taking those risks. Still though, delighted with the result.

One thing, why does Alan Smith hate it so much when we're winning?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cosmik Debris said:

Yup and yet still people are voting good and very good... No subs and hard to see any match winning tactics... 

After Burnley though how can we not be happy to have rode our luck to get all 3 juicy points .. Nice 

Yet we won... 

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Everyone questioning the manager's decisions or lack of. What if he had changed things and we had lost ? You would still be questioning his judgement. The fact is we won and we had to ride our luck, but those victories are something to savour. Our defensive commitment was a joy to watch. 

Nope you are talking shite, we could all see subs were needed and bar another Bullshit Var decision it would have been a draw .... 

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Everyone questioning the manager's decisions or lack of. What if he had changed things and we had lost ? You would still be questioning his judgement. The fact is we won and we had to ride our luck, but those victories are something to savour. Our defensive commitment was a joy to watch. 

Dunno - we had some poor performers and some tired legs  and some players both (Traroe)  - Can't give any kudos to the manager for not bring fresh legs on. 

Ngl I'm a massive John mcginn fan (not the one of late) and prob have been on of nakambas biggest critics..

But the last two especially after the game nakamba did play, I feel so bad for nakamba and feel we'd of been a much better with him than mcginn for the last 2 by a long way.

For me if sansom ain't quite prem fit yet, nakamba deserves that shirt and mcginn needs to be benched, also similar scenario with el glazing, as traore both excites and terrifies me in equal measure.

But on another note is it to soon to give emi a new contract ????

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Penalty decision was correct.

We played ok and stifled them, but was one of our least pretty performances this season. Would have liked to see us change it up proactively because that final chance was coming.

Now, I’m **** buzzing that VAR thought that was offside.

But the phrase ‘t-shirt’ line doesn’t mean wherever the players sleeve is and Ive been banging on about it all season when it’s **** Ollie over.

Some more lines for you - the blue is the t-shirt line, not the yellow. it is a 90 degree line on the arm drawn from the armpit. This was made clear when the rule was brought it as it doesn’t discriminate for the manufacturing of the short.

I have no idea why the ‘line drawers’ don’t know this and have been consistently picking out the end of the actual sleeve because they’re wrong and it has saved us 2 points today.

Can't wait to see this highlighted to its extremes when someone wears long sleeves :D 

Just now, The_Steve said:

Some very over the top reactions. We looked far more composed than against Burnley even if we weren't as attacking.

agreed. it was a close game for sure but we were more clinical. end of. Soton are a good team and so are we. Fair play to us and totally deserved win.

• Like 2

Very, very fortunate. I thought we were okay first half and expected us to have the better of the second but I thought we were very poor. 

Dean’s my favourite ever Villa manager but I’d love to hear the reasoning for the lack of subs. Barkley was particularly awful in the second half and contributed nothing to the defensive effort. Traore, too.

I’d be gutted by the VAR offside decision if I was a Saints fan but equally, I’d have been livid if it had been allowed after the goals we’ve had ruled out. 

Jack, McGinn, Mings and Targett our best players. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cosmik Debris said:

Nope you are talking shite, we could all see subs were needed and bar another Bullshit Var decision it would have been a draw .... 

It wasn’t a VAR decision, and it wasn’t BS. The linesman correctly flagged Ings offside. His shoulder is offside by about an inch, which is close, but it isn’t grounds to overturn the linesman’s intitial decision. You can’t have VAR overturning objectively close decisions because they’re close. That would be a complete miscarriage of justice. 

Edited by Michelsen

Delighted with such a hard fought win but let's be real there were two objectively abysmal refereeing decisions in that game. McGinn penalised for being fouled on halfway when nearly in, and then Southampton flicking a bouncing ball in the air and heading it back to the keeper, which is a backpass and a yellow card. Disgraceful shithousing

• Haha 2

Â