Ratings & Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

277 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/02/21 at 23:59

1 minute ago, The_Rev said:

If you can't be good be lucky.   Southampton will be furious with that and I don't blame them.  

they should be furious at VAR, like we've been all these times. they should maybe also be furious at their own team for not being clinical, like we've also been a couple of times this season. I don't think they'll say they were shit though and neither should we. both our teams are good and we edged them tonight because we put our chance away. we had many chances too that were really close so it's not like Soton had a monopoly on creating dangerous plays.

1 minute ago, Michelsen said:

It wasn’t a VAR decision, and it wasn’t BS. The linesman correctly flagged Ings offside. His shoulder is offside by about an inch, which is close, but it isn’t grounds to overturn the linesman’s intitial decision. 

It's shit that that's the rule, but we've been disadvantaged by it more than we've benefited from it this season, and at least Ings wasn't being fouled into an offside decision by a defender like Watkins was at West Ham

• Like 1

The biggest Villa shithouse win I've seen in a long time. I thought we were pretty crap, I thought it was a handball by Cash and well the offside rule is just a shambles. How we've come away and won that I don't know. 

However we've had some pretty awful VAR decisions against us and there's no doubt we'll have more so you best believe I'm bloody chuffed with them decisions tonight. 

First win against Saints since 2013 ffs, we need all the help we can get. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Yet we won... 

oh yes and I’m delighted but we were lucky tonight... That’s how it goes though doesn’t it, we bossed it on Wednesday with silky football especially the first half and yet we lost that one... 

• Like 1

I don't think that was a game for Sanson to debut in, I'd have brought Nakamba on earlier, but most of the section of that game was largely contested in the middle. A big criticism is that we let teams with bigger strikers bully us, but tonight saw everyone throwing themselves at the ball when required.

• Like 1

Absolute robbery there. We're lucky Saints are toothless and the offside rule is nonsense.

Martinez - a couple of game winning saves, but not to his usual standards. Looked off colour.

Cash - involved more defensively than he's been used to so far but did well with a few vital interventions and touches.

Konsa - solid as ever.

Mings - usual performance, less pissing about, and just, just got away without his customary **** up.

Targett - he's been fantastic this season and this was no different. Defensively rock solid, beaten once, and links up going forward so well.

Luiz - not the best performance from him, kinda summing up the central midfield. Struggled to put a stamp on the game and was left to hassle and try to nick the ball all match.

McGinn - he's off colour. Looked off the pace, taking that split second too long on the ball, misplacing simple passes, and not getting his usual hustling style going. Made a few good interventions but the game largely passed him by.

Traore - barely in the game with us so often on the backfoot. He's useful as an out and he's got the ability to bring something of nothing but this game wasn't for him.

Barkley - basically played as a second striker, but even Watkins was more useful defensively and the game passed him by. And then he scored. And it was a great header. And then the second half mostly passed him by. He's got quality dripping off him but without the ball today he's been useless. But got the goal.

Grealish - much more of a defined winger performance. He's brilliant. He's just brilliant. Fantastic cross. The out of every attack. Brilliant.

Watkins - worked hard in a pretty thankless night. I do think he's struggling a little too go past his man at times with the ball, he's much better running onto a ball. But worked hard and he's a great presence up front.

Nakamba - managed to go across the touchline.

Smith - that wasn't a good performance and the lack of subs is **** stupid with the fixture congestion now. Especially as it was obvious a few were not at the races today.

We've been saved by the offside law being absurd.

• Like 1

first win against Southampton in 7 years yet still 9  very poor rating (at the moment) for the manager and lots of negative/ lucky comments on the match thread.  not sure what more some people want,  we are a team that survived by their finger nails last season, a team growing a team to be proud of. UTV

• Like 4

Â