Ratings & Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

277 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/02/21 at 23:59

Just now, One For The Road said:

I think he probably would have put someone on in his place of he took him off. ;) And who knows how that would have panned out. 

You think the replacement would have been in exactly the same place? I doubt it. If we conceded then we can speculate if it was right or not. But we didn't.

• Like 1

That was prime Villa at the end, hanging on for dear life and expecting to concede any minute. Southampton can count themselves unlucky, and a draw would have been a fair result. However we defended heroically, Martinez was outstanding! Time and time again we blocked and battled. Not at our best tonight but we finally had some luck with the decisions. Our goal was sublime, that half volley from Jack was perfect for Barkley. So good to see. 

The only criticism I have is for Smith not making a sub early on. I’d have brought Trez on for Traore at 60mins to shore up that right side. 

• Like 2

Scraped the win but we way overdue a win like that. 

VAR was bang on. Not clear and obvious penalty and clearly offside by the rules. 

emi was fantastic. As was the whole defence. 

Don’t normally criticise Dean smiths subs and it’s usually logical but today he could have taken Barkley or Watkins off from 70th min

1 minute ago, darrenm said:

You think the replacement would have been in exactly the same place? I doubt it. If we conceded then we can speculate if it was right or not. But we didn't.

What about the moment when McGinn's replacement scored a worldie and made 2 goal line clearances at the death?

Winning a game and keeping clean sheets is well and good, but it feels a bit dirty to win like this. I don't understand why the rules are practiced the way they are, particularly when it comes to offside.

Also, subs before 95 minutes are played is usually a good thing in a high pressure game in the midst of a period littered with frequent matches. Would be nice to have Smith answeer the question about subs on telly.

• Like 1

Just now, darrenm said:

We’ve absolutely got away with it though, by a whisker. We invited pressure by leaving tired legs on the pitch and were fortunate. I don’t think McGinn off was the right sub anyway, Trez and Nakamba for Traore and Barkley around 75 would have been sensible to bring on cover for the defence and work rate late in the game, plus a 3rd sub to time waste and break up play at the very end. 

1 minute ago, Gompedyret said:

Winning a game and keeping clean sheets is well and good, but it feels a bit dirty to win like this. I don't understand why the rules are practiced the way they are, particularly when it comes to offside.

Also, subs before 95 minutes are played is usually a good thing in a high pressure game in the midst of a period littered with frequent matches. Would be nice to have Smith answeer the question about subs on telly.

Didn’t need them, got the win, rested the players on the bench, good management for me. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, darrenm said:

No, but do you think that had we stopped the game and made a substitution that shot would have still happened. And exactly like that?

Sliding doors.

It certainly was a great block though.

Anyway I think McGinn is still coming back to his old self after covid and I wouldn't be surprised to see him benched on Wednesday.

Â