Ratings & Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

277 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/02/21 at 23:59

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

I agree but then think about some of Watkins goals ruled offside......swings and roundabouts

oh ye, we deserve some VAR luck, but that should have been a goal imo, just like some of Watkins' should have been.

Happy it went our way for once though.

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

we had some good chances too so I'm not so sure it was totally undeserved

Feels good after deserving to win at Burnley the other night I guess this it what being a Burnley fan feels like?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That was a hard, hard, watch but it’s 3 points against a hoodoo team.

keeper earned the 3 points with two magnificent saves while defence was solid.

Otherwise a poor performance but you know what they say about teams who win while not playing well.

One of the luckiest wins you’ll ever see. We were poor for pretty much the entire game. For the manager to make just one substitution in the 95th minute is bordering on negligent, an absolute joke that we didn’t utilise the bench, to at least  time. Happy to win but not daft enough to see that was pretty poor all around, GK aside.

• Like 1

Poor performance, good result. Will take it and it's a fantastic 3 points, but why DS continues to not make subs when players seem knackered I do not know.

Our bench was strong today - Sanson, Trez, AEG, Nakamba - but only one of them came on in the 95th minute and we could so easily have conceded by then but for some absolutely last ditch goalkeeping and defending. McGinn was poor but stayed on the whole match incredibly.

He needs to learn how to change things up for the better. Yes, we may be winning but you could see Southampton pushing us back time and again and it's only due to their lack of goalthreat today that we didn't concede. We weren't even playing particularly well so I couldn't believe he left the same 11 on for so long.

Penalty decision was correct.

We played ok and stifled them, but was one of our least pretty performances this season. Would have liked to see us change it up proactively because that final chance was coming.

Now, I’m **** buzzing that VAR thought that was offside.

But the phrase ‘t-shirt’ line doesn’t mean wherever the players sleeve is and Ive been banging on about it all season when it’s **** Ollie over.

Some more lines for you - the blue is the t-shirt line, not the yellow. it is a 90 degree line on the arm drawn from the armpit. This was made clear when the rule was brought it as it doesn’t discriminate for the manufacturing of the shirt.

36063291-605-C-4-F03-A3-DA-E204710-AE267

I have no idea why the ‘line drawers’ don’t know this and have been consistently picking out the end of the actual sleeve because they’re wrong and it has saved us 2 points today.

Edited by a m ole
  • Thanks 1

Undeserved but makes up for Burnley!

Nice to see another team suffer that last minute VAR offside heartbreak instead of us for once!

Fantastic defensive effort tonight, real body on the line stuff!

• Like 1

we didn't perform so well, but honestly Emi made the saves, our defense was solid and our attack produced a couple of brilliant chances of which one went in. Soton didn't. We deserved this. I'm going to fully enjoy this win! UTV!

• Like 2

I heard the commentators say things even themselves out over a season but they're not supposed to, VAR is meant to give you what you deserve.  Luckily it was our night tonight and it happened in a tight game we could knick.  The 6 minutes added time was bemusing as well.  The back 5 and Martinez especially won us 3 points there, not Dean's finest match but it shows how small the percentages are in the PL.  If Dean did ever leave I'd love Hassnehuttl here.

• Like 1

Martinez outstanding. Threatened always on the counter, even when they were well on top in the first half. Got some luck with the tight decisions (about time) and rode our luck a bit but generally we defended really well. no crime in that. Away from home, get a goal up and play out the game. If you are capable of doing that against a side as good as Southampton then fair play I say. Not vintage entertaining Villa but 3 points. 

• Like 3

Â