General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't think there's necessarily much bias around.  Possibly some - we definitely all love to moan when soft decisions go the way of Man Utd - but I think the problem is that they aren't picked up readily enough.

I think there's unconscious bias. But rarely conscious bias.I think quite a bit is a kind of fear thing from the officials - like, if I don't award this penalty to the red team and I get it wrong it might cost them the league, so though I'm not convinced, I'll give it to them. Whereas for the non-Sky team it's like "if I don't award them this penalty, and I get it wrong it means they might finish 12th instead of 11th and it doesn't matter".

I'm much more of a view of it's cock-up not conspiracy. Some of the officiating is just really poor and some of the refs are pretty often awful. VAR has been implemented diabolically, though is less bad now (but still bad) than at the start of the season and they are far to insular in protecting themselves from 'fessing up to howlers.

• Like 2

Keeping a very close eye on this Liverpool match with Burnley - Chris Kavanagh is refereeing. I expect every instance of players going down without sufficient contact for it to be a foul to be punished with yellow cards.

Doesn’t seem to have done so yet, maybe they’re given at the end of the game? I’m sure he’ll be consistent anyway.

Salah just hung his foot in to the keeper after the ball had gone, manufactured contact and threw his other shoulder over, then looks back at the ref with his arms out.

No yellow card from Chris Kavanagh.

45 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Azpilequeta's red has been overturned. 

It's fine to put hands in faces now then. Precident set. 

That is nuts. 

Its fair enough, I think people are accepting when people are honest about making mistakes. If Jon Moss for example had admitted he made a mistake instead of the rules being arrogantly changed then nobody would have had an issue with it

• Like 2

That's incredibly gracious by the manager there.

It does raise a great point about apologising for mistakes. I don't believe refs are genuinely corrupt but they do make mistakes. It feels like it's the same in all sports where apart from egregious errors, leagues will come out and bend over backwards to defend bad referring decisions, which just angers the aggrieved supporters even more. I sometimes wonder whether it's a betting thing, with the league not wanting to be held responsible for bets that are lost because of bad referring decisions or to have any controversy about that, so they just go straight into denying a problem and political spin mode.

People will have a lot more time for referees if they aren't held up as being infallible.

On 02/06/2021 at 01:11, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Awful from the linesman but a very gracious response from the manager on the wrong side of it.

Bigger man than me. I’d be absolutely fuming and saying some very rude things about the linesman and most of his extended family. 

Edited by El Zen

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta love the handball "rule". Of all the things that are broken in football the handball rule is right up there near the top.

Edited by sne

PL has introduced 4 new refs for the upcoming season. Gillett iirc is the one from that was mic'ed up in viral video from ALeague a few years ago. 

Four new referees for 2021/22 Premier League

This season’s Premier League will feature four new referees after Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) announced that Jarred Gillett, Michael Salisbury, Tony Harrington and John Brooks have been all been promoted to Select Group 1.

The four new referees will join the group of referees who officiate in the Premier League, increasing the total number of Select Group 1 referees to 22.

Jarred Gillett

Gillett (below) became part of the Select Group 2 referee’s list for the 2019/20 season.

Previous to that he was one of the most high-profile officials in his native Australia, refereeing in the A-League from 2010 to 2019. He is in line to become the first Australian to referee in the Premier League.

Jarred Gillett

Michael Salisbury

Salisbury (below) began his refereeing career in 2001 in Preston’s local leagues, thanks to the influence of his father Graham, also a referee. Graham retired on the final day of the 2020/21 season, with Michael his fourth official. 

Michael has been a referee in the EFL since 2016 and was part of the Select Group as an assistant referee.

Michael Salisbury

Tony Harrington

Harrington (below) spent four years as an EFL assistant referee and four years as a National League referee before promotion to the EFL in 2012.  He has been a Select Group 2 referee since 2016 and has refereed nearly 200 EFL matches.

Football is in the blood of Harrington. He is the grandson of former Hartlepool United player Tommy McGuigan.

Tony Harrington

John Brooks

Brooks (below) first took up the whistle in 2004 and has been in Select Group 2 as a referee since 2018. He was in charge of the FA Vase Final at Wembley in the same year. 

Prior to refereeing in the EFL, Brooks was a Premier League assistant referee, having this role for the 2016 FA Cup Final. 

John Brooks

New assistant

In addition to those with the whistle, the Premier League will have a new face on the touchline as Wade Smith joins Select Group 1 as an assistant referee. 

Smith has operated on the National List of assistant referees since 2016 and most recently in Select Group 2.

"We’re absolutely delighted to welcome Jarred, Michael, Tony, John and Wade into Select Group 1 for the 2021/22 season," PGMOL Managing Director Mike Riley said. "Their promotions are testament to their dedication and commitment on and off the pitch and the quality of their performances in Select Group 2.

"We very much look forward to supporting them with their continued development going forward and we are sure that they will all make a positive contribution on and off the pitch to the Select Group next season

59 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's further evidence that Var is actually ok (emphasis on ok and not great) but the Premier league have implemented it apallingly

It was fine at World Cup 2018 and it's been fine at the Euros. Why have the Premier League tried to be so different and got it so spectacularly wrong?

There's something fishy going on and I'm not talking about the contents of Baldricks apple crumble. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's further evidence that Var is actually ok (emphasis on ok and not great) but the Premier league have implemented it apallingly

It was fine at World Cup 2018 and it's been fine at the Euros. Why have the Premier League tried to be so different and got it so spectacularly wrong?

Mike Riley.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's been decent in most European Leagues too. The premier League pgmbol whoever have tried to be too clever.

• Like 1

Â