General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

19 hours ago, Genie said:

Away goals rule scrapped. 
Seems like they all forgot why it was introduced in the first place.

So people who have an away leg second game can be as negative and dull as anything then get out of jail last 20 mins of a tie by scoring a double xp scuffer and taking all energy and jeopardy out the game and killing it instantly?

I despise the rule.

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

So people who have an away leg second game can be as negative and dull as anything then get out of jail last 20 mins of a tie by scoring a double xp scuffer and taking all energy and jeopardy out the game and killing it instantly?

I despise the rule.

I think we’ll see a return of very cagey first leg games if there is no incentive for the away side to attack. They’ll wait till the home leg. 

25 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Now to get rid of ‘legs’ and play 90 minute matches.

I thought this was going to be a much more drastic change to the rules than it ended up being

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

What is the benefit of not having away goals? I don’t get it. As for moving to one legged ties, again, why? Playing home and away is fair.

Away goals means some goals matter more than others. That’s not fair. Football matches are supposed to be 90 minutes long, not 180. Playing a football match is fair, home and away is luck of the draw.

I like that idea of keeping the actual game that’s played pure. That is that all games follow exactly the same rules from the very bottom to the very top of the pyramid. Teams playing for a draw in an away game so they can get a perceived advantage at home because they switch at what is effectively half time is not in the spirit of the game for me.

Aside from that, it means the first game means less and there’s no conclusion to the match. It’s dull. It also gives more advantage to the better sides with bigger squads. It also allows UEFA to squeeze more and more money out the game.

One, exciting knockout game for me. Drawing at 90 minutes? Penalties.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

They're doing a really good job of saying that contact isn't a foul, lots of barging and bustling being let go and it's great to see 

One thing I think they are picking up on though is tackling through the player, doesn't matter if you get the ball if you go through them it's a foul 

Apart from hummels on mbappe which was an all dayer at the time and now in that context looks even worse 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I expect it was posted in the match thread (haven’t checked), but fair’s fair this was pretty good from Kevin Friend today.

In all honesty, I wouldn’t mind seeing more of this sort of interaction.

Contains a bit of swearing, so nsfw.

26 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I expect it was posted in the match thread (haven’t checked), but fair’s fair this was pretty good from Kevin Friend today.

In all honesty, I wouldn’t mind seeing more of this sort of interaction.

Contains a bit of swearing, so nsfw.

Pretty sure he is from Bristol and a City fan, probably his mates

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but sin bins have been introduced at grass roots football. (I was not aware of this rule change as i dont really watch grass roots stuff)

https://www.thefa.com/get-involved/respect/sin-bins

From the 2019-20 season, temporary dismissals also known as 'sin bins' will be introduced across all levels of grassroots football. Players dissent will result in 10-minute temporary dismissals from the pitch.

The mandatory rule change will be implemented up to Step 5 of the National League System and Tier 3 and below in women's football. Sin bins of 10 minutes will be issued at the discretion of referees as punishment for dissent, and will apply to all levels of grassroots football, including youth, veterans, and disability.

It appears that not all of the officials are aware of what matches/competitions are affected by this as an FA Cup preliminary match is going to have to be replayed as a ref sent a player into the sin bin. FA Cup matches are not affected by this, so apparently the FA have decided the match should be replayed. 

Here is a clip showing the incident. You can clearly hear people shouting at the ref that he can't sin bin people in the cup.

Incidentally, Bridgewater won the first match 2-1

Staggering really and shows a certain level of arrogance from the official.

I like the theory behind ‘letting more go’ this season but I fear it will lead to further inconsistency and will no doubt end up benefiting the bigger clubs again.

Letting a borderline decision go in a Burnley v Brighton game is all well and good but would either of those teams get a borderline decision against Liverpool, or United or City? We’ll have to wait and see I guess but i fancy not.

5 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

This 'letting things go' nonsense is going to get someone hurt.

Yep, you could see it in the first 10 mins or so of our game today, the refs seem confused as to what to do now, perhaps it just needs time to balance itself out.

I’m all for letting games flow more and not giving free kicks when players are looking for it and/or going down easily but finding consistency is going to be difficult.

• Like 1

Â