General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

The refs at the Euros let things flow and it was great.

The word removed yesterday just outright refused to give a free kick for the first 15 minites no matter what happened. Ludicrous.

• Like 2

I couldn’t quite believe what I was watching the first 15 minutes yesterday. That can’t be the new normal.

Thankfully, he improved after that and for about 60 minutes he gave an overall decent-ish refereeing performance. 

3 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I couldn’t quite believe what I was watching the first 15 minutes yesterday. That can’t be the new normal.

Thankfully, he improved after that and for about 60 minutes he gave an overall decent-ish refereeing performance. 

Pretty sure was his Premier League debut so probably nervous as well. He did improve as game went on

Not booking Murphy for that dive was dreadful. He got a yellow later on aswell 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Pretty sure was his Premier League debut so probably nervous as well. He did improve as game went on

He refereed 21 games last season in addition to last week...

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

That would explain it. Anyway, he’s forgiven 😅

Edit: Just saw the next post. Doesn’t matter. He’s still forgiven. We won. 

Edited by El Zen

3 minutes ago, a-k said:

He refereed 21 games last season in addition to last week...

Then the NBC commentator lied 😜

i only remember his name for his shit VAR calls but didn't know he did games 

I'm all for free flowing football and some physicality but not at the expense of allowing fouls. 2 in the lead up to Wilson's 4th minute 1-on-1 that he missed. Horrible reffing, though he slowly got on top of things.

And if the aim of this "new direction" in officiating is to discourage diving - then how did Murphy NOT get booked?

Really this 'let the game flow' line means just don't buy the player's tactical flops and play acting. Everyone knows what it is and what it looks like. Going down easy, pull backs, slowing play and so on. It was great seeing Kane and Sterling try it in the Euros and just get ignored.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Klopp and OGS already moaning about referee decisions, Saying there getting fouled too much.

Already trying to influence referee's into benefitting them.

Pair of spunktrumpets.

They think no team has the right to tackle them. 

I like the new approach. I was surprised on Saturday, like most people at how much the ref let go at the start, but watching the telly recording later he was right. None of the possible fouls was at all clear. Mings wasn't fouled and McGinn was a 50-50 could have gone either way if he'd blown for a (soft) free kick.

He was much better than I thought when actually at the match.

And I never thought I'd hear the ground singing for VAR and TWICE! We slightly got away with the Newcastle pen, mind - it was pretty marginally offside.

Interesting one here in the Danish 2nd tier.

The ref blows his whistle for a clear foul, and doesn't play advantage when the ball spills to an attacker in good position. The ref immediately realises his mistake and has his head in his hands briefly. 

The comments about this have been overwhelmingly positive. It's great to see a ref obviously upset at his own mistake and showing contrition.

I'm not sure why the PR for so much refereeing and umpiring across major sports all over the world is seemingly about refs being infallible, justifying poor decisions with dodgy interpretations of the rules. It just makes them seem corrupt. It's not about them not making mistakes, it's about admitting them and apologising. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Interesting one here in the Danish 2nd tier.

The ref blows his whistle for a clear foul, and doesn't play advantage when the ball spills to an attacker in good position. The ref immediately realises his mistake and has his head in his hands briefly. 

The comments about this have been overwhelmingly positive. It's great to see a ref obviously upset at his own mistake and showing contrition.

I'm not sure why the PR for so much refereeing and umpiring across major sports all over the world is seemingly about refs being infallible, justifying poor decisions with dodgy interpretations of the rules. It just makes them seem corrupt. It's not about them not making mistakes, it's about admitting them and apologising. 

The guy on the attacking team even tells the ref its fine. I think some refs have an arrogance about them

Jon Moss says he gets the Mings error wrong its fine and forgiven. But no his organisation made a **** up on the spot rule change to back him up

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The guy on the attacking team even tells the ref its fine. I think some refs have an arrogance about them

Jon Moss says he gets the Mings error wrong its fine and forgiven. But no his organisation made a **** up on the spot rule change to back him up

Yep, the Mings one and the aftermath was the one that immediately came to mind when I saw this. The doubling down after the match was absolutely atrocious. It's okay to be wrong. It's even okay to be wrong and then tidy up the rules to make it more straightforward for refs afterward. Doubling down makes you look corrupt. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Yep, the Mings one and the aftermath was the one that immediately came to mind when I saw this. The doubling down after the match was absolutely atrocious. It's okay to be wrong. It's even okay to be wrong and then tidy up the rules to make it more straightforward for refs afterward. Doubling down makes you look corrupt. 

Still makes me irrationally angry to this day.

And then talking heads quoting them verbatim too. Arseholes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Still makes me irrationally angry to this day.

And then talking heads quoting them verbatim too. Arseholes.

I'm still waiting for Kevin Friend to admit he was wrong.

Maybe I'm blind, but what was the ref even blowing for in the first place?

Can't blame him though for not expecting that defending to muck up. But yes, if referees just admit they made a mistake it is 100x better

Â