General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

2 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

All we as fans want is officiating consistency -- and granted we can't have 100% consistency. when Ollie gets a booking for "simulation", I'd really like to see that standard being upheld and simulation getting punished by bookings

That's the worst part...that's basically the only yellow given for simulation in the entire league this season...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The ref in our game shows how a ref can influence the game by being poor generally and not by making any huge wrong decisions.

He singlehandedly let them kick us off the pitch in the 2nd half. Watkins was fouled 5/6 times with no foul; their guys get fouls for the same thing.  23 fouls 3 yellows **** off

The standard is just unbelievably poor.

I’ll add that he also let players do whatever they wanted once they were yellow carded. Kouyate had a couple of clear fouls after his booking which the ref didn’t give seemingly because a second yellow might have been needed.

He was just really poor in general and refs like him are an encouragement to play the way teams like palace, Burnley and Newcastle for example do.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I’ll add that he also let players do whatever they wanted once they were yellow carded. Kouyate had a couple of clear fouls after his booking which the ref didn’t give seemingly because a second yellow might have been needed.

Same for Konsa too tbf, he probably should have walked.

We got the rougher side of it, but he was just a very poor ref with no control over the game. I'm still absolutely staggered that the second goal counted.

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

Same for Konsa too tbf, he probably should have walked.

We got the rougher side of it, but he was just a very poor ref with no control over the game. I'm still absolutely staggered that the second goal counted.

Yeah fair point. I did mean to mention that to. It was the same for both teams it’s just that they were looking to foul for the entire game so it played into their hands.

Annoyingly there was a Kouyate tackle on Watkins near the start of the game where Watkins toed it past him down the line and went down after he got flicked by a dangling boot. 

This week, it was a free kick to us without a question from any player or commentator. Last week it wasn't a penalty and a yellow for simulation with pundits all agreed it needs to be stamped out of the game.

So which is it?

9 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

The ref in our game shows how a ref can influence the game by being poor generally and not by making any huge wrong decisions.

He singlehandedly let them kick us off the pitch in the 2nd half. Watkins was fouled 5/6 times with no foul; their guys get fouls for the same thing.  23 fouls 3 yellows **** off

The standard is just unbelievably poor.

I checked the stats the after game.

Schlupp made at least 6 fouls without a booking.

Edited by The_Steve

Call me bonkers but I do believe we should use foreign referees in the Premier league in the future. 

The Premier league should be looking for strong refs which can't be easily influenced across the globe. They should be well payed to attract them and even flown in and out from there country per game. 

I personally believe English referees have an unquestionable bias towards certian teams. And even fear making the right decisions against the top teams as fan backlash on social media scares them. Whenever a controversial moment happens in a game with any of the big teams(scum 6) the spotlight on the decision is insane and they fear fan backlash in real life(death threats) . I mean the fans from the scum 6 are the overwhelming majority of fans and they pile in whenever they feel wrong and it's hard to even see right and wrong sometimes when an overwhelming bias is at large. 

Returning to the original idea I believe referees from abroad would be partially immune from this. As they wouldn't see your local dickhead scum 6 fan out whilst shopping if they flew in and out. Also another thing to take into account is English referee's integrity and who they really support or where they are from I also think this is fixed as most foreign referees won't have serious loyalties. 

7 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Call me bonkers but I do believe we should use foreign referees in the Premier league in the future. 

The Premier league should be looking for strong refs which can't be easily influenced across the globe. They should be well payed to attract them and even flown in and out from there country per game. 

I personally believe English referees have an unquestionable bias towards certian teams. And even fear making the right decisions against the top teams as fan backlash on social media scares them. Whenever a controversial moment happens in a game with any of the big teams(scum 6) the spotlight on the decision is insane and they fear fan backlash in real life(death threats) . I mean the fans from the scum 6 are the overwhelming majority of fans and they pile in whenever they feel wrong and it's hard to even see right and wrong sometimes when an overwhelming bias is at large. 

Returning to the original idea I believe referees from abroad would be partially immune from this. As they wouldn't see your local dickhead scum 6 fan out whilst shopping if they flew in and out. Also another thing to take into account is English referee's integrity and who they really support or where they are from I also think this is fixed as most foreign referees won't have serious loyalties. 

In principle not a bad idea, but ultimately anyone hired the Premier League to ref the games will be "encouraged" to benefit the top teams.

I imagine fans of Spanish, Italian, French and German teams moan their refs/FA favour Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Juve, Milan, Inter, PSG and Bayern.

Wouldn't be any different if there were international refs imo.

I fear we're stuck with this shit

7 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Yeah that concerns me a lot.......there does seem to be something odd going on regarding bias towards the sky scum 6 (apart from the FA cup Var against Chelski!) and this is amplified by VAR.

As much as I love the Villa and have followed them since my first game at VP in 1968 V Brissol City (lost 2 - 4 btw!), to be honest I am not sure I can continue to invest emotion, time and money to something which appears at best biased and inconsistent and at worst corrupt....

Please try and convince me 😐

Regards to all

Del

8 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

In principle not a bad idea, but ultimately anyone hired the Premier League to ref the games will be "encouraged" to benefit the top teams.

I imagine fans of Spanish, Italian, French and German teams moan their refs/FA favour Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Juve, Milan, Inter, PSG and Bayern.

Wouldn't be any different if there were international refs imo.

The same teams that stabbed the Premier League in the back a few weeks back. Its all just dodgy, VAR has actually made it a lot more corrupt

I’ve only just seen the first Liverpool goal from yesterday. 

WTAF, at which point does it become reasonable for a team to just walk off the pitch in protest, how can anyone justify why Mike Dean (of course it would be that odious tw@) gave a free kick, no offence had been committed by a WBA player, this shits getting out of hand now and the bias toward the ‘top teams’ is more than evident in my view.

edit - and then comes the gaslighting from Sky to normalise it, Stephen Warnock on SSN just now saying Albion have no grounds for complaint because that happened on the halfway line and a lot else occurred for it to then end up in the net. 

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 1

I am baffled the general standard of refereeing goes uncontested by clubs. When you see the refereeing performance we had to deal with against Palace... why we don't complain is beyond me.

If it was a media darling club, i.e. the usual suspects that would never go quietly, which is why we get far more of those shit refereeing performances than they do.

It was a completely brown envelope performance. And it's happened a LOT this season.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

What's so frustrating about blatantly horrendous refereeing performances like yesterday is that they muddy the waters and make it harder to objectively evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of our performance. Yes there were some things that were glaringly obvious even with the bad refereeing but it still makes it harder.

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’ve only just seen the first Liverpool goal from yesterday. 

WTAF, at which point does it become reasonable for a team to just walk off the pitch in protest, how can anyone justify why Mike Dean (of course it would be that odious tw@) gave a free kick, no offence had been committed by a WBA player, this shits getting out of hand now and the bias toward the ‘top teams’ is more than evident in my view.

edit - and then comes the gaslighting from Sky to normalise it, Stephen Warnock on SSN just now saying Albion have no grounds for complaint because that happened on the halfway line and a lot else occurred for it to then end up in the net. 

I can only assume there's some ruling about giving a team a free kick if the referee impedes them or something - but genuinely no idea.  So bizarre.

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I can only assume there's some ruling about giving a team a free kick if the referee impedes them or something - but genuinely no idea.  So bizarre.

Well, I only recently realised that whether the ball goes backwards or not has no bearing on a player being offside, I always thought you could only be offside from a forward pass so perhaps again I'm wrong but I'm not aware of any such ruling and I don't think I've ever seen it happen before.

It's just like the opening goal City scored against us at their place in January, it wasn't subjective, it's just a basic and blatant error which can only have come about via incompetency or corruption/bias, these are meant to be the country's elite referees and they cannot get basic decisions right, it's absolutely not good enough and more should be done about it.

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well, I only recently realised that whether the ball goes backwards or not has no bearing on a player being offside, I always thought you could only be offside from a forward pass so perhaps again I'm wrong but I'm not aware of any such ruling and I don't think I've ever seen it happen before.

It's just like the opening goal City scored against us at their place in January, it wasn't subjective, it's just a basic and blatant error which can only have come about via incompetency or corruption/bias, these are meant to be the country's elite referees and they cannot get basic decisions right, it's absolutely not good enough and more should be done about it.

Not sure what the first part relates to(?), but I don't think there's necessarily much bias around.  Possibly some - we definitely all love to moan when soft decisions go the way of Man Utd - but I think the problem is that they aren't picked up readily enough.

We've definitely had favourable decisions this season - I just can't remember them because they don't outrage me the same way as, say, Fernandes stamping on Konsa's ankle then throwing himself to ground to win a penalty.

Â