General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

Have they gone with the independent Dr on the concussions yet? 

That was touted years ago and me made perfect sense, if there's a potential concussion then it's the decision of a PL appointed Dr to decide if the player is allowed back on, not the player and not the teams medical staff 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That was touted years ago and me made perfect sense, if there's a potential concussion then it's the decision of a PL appointed Dr to decide if the player is allowed back on, not the player and not the teams medical staff 

And concussion/blood subs too.

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

How independent would a doctor be at Anfield ?

Decided to check out Rule 11 as it was "onside according to the rules" and spotted this...

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

• interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
  • *The first point of contact of the 'play' or 'touch' of the ball should be used
  • or
  • gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
  • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
  • been deliberately saved by any opponent
  • A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent. 

Quelle surprise, you can't challenge an opponent from an offside position...

Also italicised the bit being used to justify it, but Rodri doesn't receive the ball from Mings, he **** tackles him, so that surely shouldn't apply.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

42 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

We have a VAR thread, but it seems to capture all of the borderline offsides as well that are apparently technically correct.

This needs to be tweeted again and again, it's farcical. Seems borderline a conspiracy why it's happening to Villa all the time, last season was bad but this year we are on the receiving end of dodgy and potentially corrupt decisions from VAR.

The penalty decision against Brighton, the decision against Watkins v West Ham, penalty against Manure and now this against City.

Villa have a massive online presence, get sharing this injustice!

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

I no longer trust officials or the VAR process in the Premier League. Can’t actually believe I’m saying it but for me the integrity of the league is coming into question.

I stop short of thinking there is a big conpiracy although at times I’m close but there is a lack of integrity in the officiating.

I said VAR would be used subjectively and it’s exactly what has happened and as I predicted more often than not it only goes to support the bias that already exists to the bigger clubs.

I genuinely no longer feel the game has integrity and that is a shocking position to get to.

• Like 2

Just now, TrentVilla said:

I stop short of thinking there is a big conpiracy although at times I’m close but there is a lack of integrity in the officiating.

I'm partial to this. I don't think it's overt match fixing (though I struggle to ignore the idea that the PL benefits hugely from a successful Man United, for example), but I have little doubts that the PGMOL is an old boy's club who will do whatever is necessary to look after their mates, knowing it'll be reciprocated. And it goes to the top with the FA putting out stats about refs being 98% accurate or something ridiculous. It's almost impossible to define something as absolutely, 100% wrong by the rules of the game, there's always a bit of leeway and discretion to help the ref out. 

Nice vague rules, cover up mistakes, and when you get one wrong, someone else will look the other way. Small price to pay for an easy life. 

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

depends how much Klopp is shouting abuse at him

That's the thing, it's not a ref decision or some sort of interpretation

Its a qualified medical professional saying the players not fit to continue 

It would take a certain character to want to do it but the reality is that they know better than the player and the manager and imo arguing with them would be seen as hugely negative towards them both 

Just now, Davkaus said:

I'm partial to this. I don't think it's overt match fixing (though I struggle to ignore the idea that the PL benefits hugely from a successful Man United, for example), but I have little doubts that the PGMOL is an old boy's club who will do whatever is necessary to look after their mates, knowing it'll be reciprocated. And it goes to the top with the FA putting out stats about refs being 98% accurate or something ridiculous. It's almost impossible to define something as absolutely, 100% wrong by the rules of the game, there's always a bit of leeway and discretion to help the ref out. 

Nice vague rules, cover up mistakes, and when you get one wrong, someone else will look the other way. Small price to pay for an easy life. 

See... here is the thing. A few years ago Parry as head of the PL in an interview openly stated that it was in the leagues “business plan” to have a different winner every x number of years, three or four I can’t recall. Just let that ruminate a moment, the guy who runs the league saying they have a business plan which factors in a different winner every x number of years.

Exactly. What the actual? If the league has integrity they have no place having that sort of agenda.

Sp when VAR comes along and Liverpool seem to get a very very generous rub of the green on their way to the title you start to wonder. Then all of a sudden Man United are getting a penalty whenever they need one.... is it really so far fetched to start to wonder?

I’ve had a growing feeling about this for a few years now. I used to think their was just a bias of officials caused by pressure that comes from within the game and the media of giving decisions against the ‘big’ teams. Now, with the league stating they plan for different winners... well makes you wonder doesn’t it.

Football is riddled with corruption, we in this country point through finger willingly at FIFA or UEFA and rightly so but we always seem to just assume our games straight even when what is being said and done perhaps suggests otherwise.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

If you can dig out any articles about that I'd be really interested in reading them @TrentVilla. Not doubting you at all, but Parry comes out with so much bollocks it'll be hard to narrow it down! 

Apologies had it slightly wrong, it wasn’t Parry it was Scudamore and he said every 6 years. If you Google that you’ll find it easy enough, I just did. I’m on my phone so too hard to quote and link.

• Thanks 1

To save @TrentVillatime, here's what Scudamore said in 2016. It's really quite something.

Speaking to Sky Sports News HQ from the Premier League launch in Islington, north London, he said: "Without being disrespectful to any club, we have a strategic plan at the Premier League and the strategic plan says putting a new name on the trophy in every six-year period.

"That doesn't mean we don't want any team to win it. It just means we would rather see some sort of rotation, for all neutrals in the game (what Leicester achieved) was a big moment."

Crazy.

Wasn’t there an official who said ‘we can’t be having another Leicester’ or words to that effect. 

now to me that strongly suggests a big club bias. How can it not? Outside the big 6 teams are deemed fashionable enough to win, although I’d strongly say Leicester’s win was the most enjoyable I can remember because it was against the odds. 

3 minutes ago, Loxstock92 said:

Wasn’t there an official who said ‘we can’t be having another Leicester’ or words to that effect. 

now to me that strongly suggests a big club bias. How can it not? Outside the big 6 teams are deemed fashionable enough to win, although I’d strongly say Leicester’s win was the most enjoyable I can remember because it was against the odds. 

Yes there was a quote like that

Â