General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

I have to be fair and consistent, so clearly that shouldn’t be offside, but why were they checking for a touch from Cash? Makes no **** difference if he had played the ball or not. Offside (or level in this case) is offside. If we’d have got done by that nonsense again I’d have been **** raging.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I have to be fair and consistent, so clearly that shouldn’t be offside, but why were they checking for a touch from Cash? Makes no **** difference if he had played the ball or not. Offside (or level in this case) is offside. If we’d have got done by that nonsense again I’d have been **** raging.

Yep came to say the same, that's not the rule and is utterly **** stupid, if that grazes his shin he's not offside? Cash attempted to play the ball because of the offside player

Its common sense being ignored because PGMOL believe they are cleverer and better than they actually are

Ruining the game more than VAR

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Yep came to say the same, that's not the rule and is utterly **** stupid, if that grazes his shin he's not offside? Cash attempted to play the ball because of the offside player

Its common sense being ignored because PGMOL believe they are cleverer and better than they actually are

Ruining the game more than VAR

But is it even actually the rule? I’m not going to believe it is just cause Carragher kept saying so.

13 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

But is it even actually the rule? I’m not going to believe it is just cause Carragher kept saying so.

Its not the first time I've seen it

Our goal vs Newcastle at VP was the same from memory 

They've made more stupid "small" amendments to the rules in the last year than they have in my previous 30 years of watching football, they've also started to interpret some rules in a completely different way such as this offside rule and they've let fans believe that it's all VARs fault

Mike Riley has broke football

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Its not the first time I've seen it

Our goal vs Newcastle at VP was the same from memory 

They've made more stupid "small" amendments to the rules in the last year than they have in my previous 30 years of watching football, they've also started to interpret some rules in a completely different way such as this offside rule and they've let fans believe that it's all VARs fault

Mike Riley has broke football

After the Mings against city bullshit an infamous incident resurfaced when the same ref (Moss?) was asking the linesman for a tv replay long before VAR and they were saying it all depends if the defender touched the ball, when it absolutely did not **** matter if it grazed off a shin or not. And then the word removed just said **** it I’m giving a penalty, and all of this audio is recorded and on YouTube.

Jon Moss and Mike Dean are older than Dean Smith, Roy Keane, the entire class of 92 and people like Zidane etc

How can that be acceptable to be reffing in the so called greatest league in the world

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Jon Moss and Mike Dean are older than Dean Smith, Roy Keane, the entire class of 92 and people like Zidane etc

How can that be acceptable to be reffing in the so called greatest league in the world

Exactly 

Said many times before why are people wondering why overweight 60 year olds can't keep up with world class athletes in their mid 20s? And that's before you look at the support teams each of them have. They put far to much emphasis on experience, the thing being with VAR they can move that experience in to the VAR room not losing it

Found out yesterday that they're self employed, make it more professional FFS throw money at it and them, scout better, train better, pay them better, look after them better and support them better, make it something that a 20 old being released by man utd considers a viable alternative

Instead they'll just round up the PE teachers 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Between about 2011 and 2019 my PL watching time was nothing more than the odd highlight and the occasional MOTD. In that time I assumed my almost 0 exposure to the league would mean learning new referees when I started watching more.

Wrong. Mike Dean's still about, still a rocket polisher.

• Like 1

PGMOL "it wasnt part of mctominays natural running movement and was dangerous"

they do not understand what it is they are watching! it wasnt part of his natural running movement, it was reaction to Son trying to grab his arm, he's fending him off, he's pushing away from Son's contact and Son's attempted foul, something that you will see 100+ times per game - and it wasnt dangerous despite what Son's theatrics and the Spurs players reaction tried to tell the ref

its a shit decision that they can justify because they dont "get" football

• Like 2

VAR is killing the sport in more ways than could have been imagined.

Some new rules are urgently needed.

1) If the player leaves the ball and jumps in front of a challenge to win a free kick or penalty then that player should be booked for unsportsmanlike behaviour.

2) If the player appears to be exaggerating the severity of a challenge in order to get a player booked or sent off then he should be booked himself.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

VAR is killing the sport in more ways than could have been imagined.

Some new rules are urgently needed.

1) If the player leaves the ball and jumps in front of a challenge to win a free kick or penalty then that player should be booked for unsportsmanlike behaviour.

2) If the player appears to be exaggerating the severity of a challenge in order to get a player booked or sent off then he should be booked himself.

Both of those are where VAR should help the ref, let them see the cheating 

But like I said the refs we currently have don't understand what they are looking at, you can slow it down, spin it around do whatever you want to it they can't see it for what it is

That's not a VAR problem that's a PGMOL problem, they're using it the wrong way

Got no problem with them using VAR to review the Son incident but the result should be a Son booking 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Got no problem with them using VAR to review the Son incident but the result should be a Son booking

In Formula 1 when things get referred to the stewards they often conclude that it’s a racing incident. Yes they came together but it’s part of the sport sometimes. 
The same doesn’t seem to apply in football, if there is contact between feet or legs then it’s a foul (if the player has gone down to draw attention to it). There doesn’t seem to be the common sense bit.
What we have:
Player runs into the box -> he goes down theatrically -> replay shows some contact -> penalty

What we need:

Player runs into the box -> he goes down theatrically -> replay shows some contact -> player is deemed to of exaggerated the contact/fall to win a penalty -> no penalty -> yellow card for simulation/unsportsmanlike behaviour.

All the officials need to ask themselves is “did the contact cause the fall?” If not then they are cheating.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Genie said:

the officials need to ask themselves is “did the contact cause the fall?” If not then they are cheating.

100% agree

That's been completely lost from football, player falls over, VAR gets involved... "Well there was contact" it doesn't matter! Salahs finger gets pulled and his knees buckle, it's just common sense that the one hasn't caused the other, it's pure cheating that if you were kind you still put down as gamesmanship 

Same with brushing the ball in the tackle somehow equates to winning it, its bollocks

Its a mess, diving, handball, offside, phases of play, its all bollocks now 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

In Formula 1 when things get referred to the stewards they often conclude that it’s a racing incident. Yes they came together but it’s part of the sport sometimes. 
The same doesn’t seem to apply in football, if there is contact between feet or legs then it’s a foul (if the player has gone down to draw attention to it). There doesn’t seem to be the common sense bit.
What we have:
Player runs into the box -> he goes down theatrically -> replay shows some contact -> penalty

What we need:

Player runs into the box -> he goes down theatrically -> replay shows some contact -> player is deemed to of exaggerated the contact/fall to win a penalty -> no penalty -> yellow card for simulation/unsportsmanlike behaviour.

All the officials need to ask themselves is “did the contact cause the fall?” If not then they are cheating.

Mostly agree but would add who caused the contact that caused the fall? If the attacker purposefully jumps into the defender to win a penalty (like Kane did against us), it's not a penalty, it's a dive. 

• Like 1

I think the biggest impact on the game that VAR has had is that after a particularly poorly officiated game, you'd go home thinking "That referee is a blind word removed", now there's are layers of incompetence so you go home convinced that there's some sort of conspiracy or institutional incompetence, you go home wanting rules changed, situations clarified, all the anger has moved away from the single referee to a whole level of the football infrastructure.

It's not fixing things, it's not making them better, it's making games slower, removing the joy, rewarding cheating and creating a level of suspicion and paranoia amongst fans that's unprecedented.

I much preferred a shit referee to a sport I can't trust.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Bit of a throwback but the standards have always been shite

Bosingwa gets a FK for this :D 

Oh thats Mike Riley refereeing, thankfully nobody gave him a high profile referee position after this :P  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â