General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Just reminded of another shit thing tonight, traore took on 4 players (of course he did...) they all close round him barging him about, ball got stuck in the mix... Chelsea free kick 

Is it just me who almost as a cliche says its a good job he didn't have to make a big decision because he would have got it wrong 

That was tonight 

Bizarrely it was actually an uncontested drop ball with possession going back to Chelsea due to Chalobah sitting on the ball. How he got to that restart decision I have no idea.

Just now, tom_avfc said:

Bizarrely it was actually an uncontested drop ball with possession going back to Chelsea due to Chalobah sitting on the ball. How he got to that restart decision I have no idea.

Out of likes, that's the one, chalobah sat on the ball, Chelsea ball

Almost the same as McGinn towards the end. Pushed, pulled, jostled, tripped along the line but tries to stay on his feet, gets bumped one more time from a different player whilst he refs waves play on and gives Cheslea a goal kick. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The new guidance to let fouls go to keep the game flowing is just another tool that allows biased referees to steer things towards the top sides

This whole guidance is ridiculous. People don’t want fouls let go they just don’t want soft fouls given that disrupt the flow of the game.

What we’ve ended up with is random blatant fouls being ignored and then we still get the soft fouls at other points in the game.

At the end of the day most of the refs are just poor at what they do so you can tell them whatever you want and they’ll still be poor.

13 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

This whole guidance is ridiculous. People don’t want fouls let go they just don’t want soft fouls given that disrupt the flow of the game.

What we’ve ended up with is random blatant fouls being ignored and then we still get the soft fouls at other points in the game.

At the end of the day most of the refs are just poor at what they do so you can tell them whatever you want and they’ll still be poor.

On the contrary, I think they are magnificent at what they are doing...

As far as manipulating the game to suit an agenda which allows certain teams the rub of the green at our expense - The referee association seems to be doing a marvellous job...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

On the contrary, I think they are magnificent at what they are doing...

As far as manipulating the game to suit an agenda which allows certain teams the rub of the green at our expense - The referee association seems to be doing a marvellous job...

Well said sir 

On 12/09/2021 at 00:39, tom_avfc said:

And incompetent officiating coupled with the new ‘let it flow’ philosophy result in injuries like Harvey Elliott’s yesterday, for which the ref didn’t even blow for a foul at first. He only sent Struijk off because of the consequence, not the action of making the tackle.

In all honesty, I’ll put up with soft fouls been given if it’s avoiding serious injuries. It’ll only be a matter of time before it happens to one of our players. 

19 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

And incompetent officiating coupled with the new ‘let it flow’ philosophy result in injuries like Harvey Elliott’s yesterday, for which the ref didn’t even blow for a foul at first. He only sent Struijk off because of the consequence, not the action of making the tackle.

In all honesty, I’ll put up with soft fouls been given if it’s avoiding serious injuries. It’ll only be a matter of time before it happens to one of our players. 

If Elliott doesn't end up with a serious injury, I'm actually not sure it was a foul (haven't seen replays though).  

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

If Elliott doesn't end up with a serious injury, I'm actually not sure it was a foul (haven't seen replays though).  

From the one angle I saw it looked like a jumping lunge from behind from a player miles out of position. Obviously they didnt show a replay so might be wrong 

I was astonished they let play go on from the tackle as it looked a clear foul at the time

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

From the one angle I saw it looked like a jumping lunge from behind from a player miles out of position. Obviously they didnt show a replay so might be wrong 

I was astonished they let play go on from the tackle as it looked a clear foul at the time

He's not out of position really - those sort of block challenges happen a lot.  He doesn't come through Elliott, it's more to the side but his trailing leg obviously catches him.

I mean, it could well be a foul as he does catch Elliott after all, but it's nowhere near being a red card worthy tackle.  The injury has shaped the decision.

Certainly didn't look like a red card to me. And yeah I'm convinced the ref gave a red because of the injury. Which is absolutely bonkers to be making decisions in that way.

Hard to tell without replays, but just looked unfortunate to me. Elliot's leg just goes under him. It happens

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

People are always going to get injured playing football, sometimes seriously, I don’t know why people feel the need to lose their minds whenever there’s a bad one.

I think people losing their mind is understandable if it’s a malicious foul. 

But you’re right, for something like yesterday it’s just an unfortunate thing that happens. 

The Ref Watch article on Sky Sports says that if the tackle has endangered another player then it's dangerous and deserves a red card 

"When you see that challenge from behind. The law says: does he endanger the safety of the opponent. Well, the outcome would certainly say yes"

I think this logic is very flawed. He's basically saying the outcome informs the decision, which seems wrong. The referee can't make a judgement based on how injured he thinks the player is

The injury looked worse than it is. Dara O'Shea was taken down by Fernandes in the Ireland Portugal match and suffered maybe a worse injury but the ankle didn't dislocate so there was less to shock the referee and Fernandes stayed on the pitch.

With joint injuries, it's not about where the bones are now that determines the severity of the injury. It's where they have been.

Like Wesley's leg divider probably looked fine when he was lying on the pitch afterwards but we all saw where the different parts of the leg were during the tackle

I wonder if they will be able to get it rescinded like Son's on Gomes in 2019

That was actually worse, as Son 100% had no intention of anything but hacking down Gomes.

Maybe Struijk just needs to turns on the tears like Son did. One of the biggest fake 'nice guys' out there, Gomes incident was not the first time he'd done that.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Son tripped Gomes and he fell and broke his leg on Aurier, what are you talking about?

Son had zero chance of getting anywhere near the ball, and launched himself with the sole, deliberate intention to hack down Gomes from behind while running at full speed.

It was a petty, dangerous act, that resulted in a player breaking his leg. 

Incidents like that should be a red everytime imo, its no different to just walking up to an opposition player and booting them in the leg.

Luke Shaw got away with a horrendous one last season as well.

Â