Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

12 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

this is a very good analytical look at what he brings. Someone else posted it earlier in the thread. 

Appreciate it but I don’t watch these sort of things, pretty to watch a player and judge for myself. I also quite like watching a player in our shirt that I know nothing about.

1 minute ago, villarule123 said:

What a joke Villa, we definitely should have just paid up the £20m straight away to get him here 6 days sooner. Stop penny pinching ffs

Disgustingly tight from the Villa owners, to think he could have been in for the tough Newcastle relegation battle match tonight if we had just coughed up the £20m and been done with it. 

Cannot believe people are praising these owners when they refused to piss £5m up the wall during a period where we have next to zero income. All of this in the name of "negotiating".

NSWE out. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So looks like we increased our pathetic offer by a couple of mill and it's no longer deemed pathetic. 

Fair enough. Not how I would do business but hey, whatever works. Milk us for what we're worth. 

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I know absolutely nothing about this lad other than I saw him linked heavily with Arsenal a year or so ago. Ive zero interest in Youtube clips or selling clubs fans views as neither are a good barometer.

Given how many good and great players France generates our record with French players is frankly abysmal so cant help but be a little reserved in excitment.

However its a very cheap deal in todays market and I trust Smith and our new recruitment team who have an excellent record so I’m hopeful he is an upgrade on Hourihane.

Really didn’t think we would look at midfield in this window so its a bit of a surprise this.

Look forward to seeing him in our colours and him being dismissed as shite within 45 mins 😉 

I admire your optimism Trent, you really think we will give him until half time? 😂😂

30 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I know absolutely nothing about this lad other than I saw him linked heavily with Arsenal a year or so ago. Ive zero interest in Youtube clips or selling clubs fans views as neither are a good barometer.

Given how many good and great players France generates our record with French players is frankly abysmal so cant help but be a little reserved in excitment.

However its a very cheap deal in todays market and I trust Smith and our new recruitment team who have an excellent record so I’m hopeful he is an upgrade on Hourihane.

Really didn’t think we would look at midfield in this window so its a bit of a surprise this.

Look forward to seeing him in our colours and him being dismissed as shite within 45 mins 😉 

I think it's only that low a price because of all the trouble French football and this particular club are having along with Covid, on another day maybe Sanson would of cost a truckload more than that???

• Like 1

Just now, Dave-R said:

I think it's only that low a price because of all the trouble French football and this particular club are having along with Covid, on another day maybe Sanson would of cost a truckload more than that???

Agreed. I wasn’t saying I had low expectations because of the fee, more that the fee doesn’t  represent much of a gamble in todays market. Given our history with French players any signing from France feels a little like a gamble to me but the low fee mitigates it.

• Like 1

Interesting review of Sanson (below), link to the Player reports (top 100 French Players) - Sanson is 36th on this list.

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/assets/The-GFFN-100-2020-Desktop-Version.pdf

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/assets/The-GFFN-100-2020-Mobile-Version.pdf

Versatile midfielder Morgan Sanson is continuing to play an important part in André Vil-las-Boas’ Marseille side, carrying on from his tremendous form last season. The 26-year-old excelled on the left of a midfield 3, developing an understanding with Valentin Rongier which enabled Sanson to play with more freedom while maintaining a balance in the midfield. By the end of last season, Sanson had cemented his place at LCM in the 4-3-3 system that was favoured by his manager and attracted the attention of a host of Premier League clubs.

The player made no secret of his desire to leave Marseille for England last summer, but ultimately was unable to secure a move abroad, despite signing a mandate with “super-agent” Pinhas Zahavi.This season, Sanson has remained a regular in the Marseille side and has started the majority of games in all competitions.

The arrivals of Michaël Cuisance and Pape Gueye have in-creased competition in the midfield positions, but so far, the new additions have been unable to claim a regular place in the line-up. Villas-Boas has adjusted the formation several times already this season, including a 5-3-2 system against Manchester City in the Champions’ League and a 4-3-1-2 shape that has been utilised both domestically and in Europe.

The congested schedule and the requirements of different systems has led to rotation in the midfield positions, with Gueye and Cuisance given opportunities over Sanson at times, most notably during the use of the 4-3-1-2. Despite Sanson’s technical ability and previous experience in an advanced midfield role, Cuisance has been preferred in the midfield position behind the two forwards, with Gueye also receiving some minutes in the LCM position that Sanson had previously made his own.

More recently though and coinciding with OM’s perfect domestic form, the ex-Montpellier player has returned to the starting line-up, regardless of the formation used. One of the reasons that Sanson continues to be a valuable player for his manager is his contribution to the team without the ball.

This season, he ranks third in the squad for successful pressures per 90 and seventh for pressures per 90 in the attacking third of the pitch. This rank of seventh improves to second when removing players with less than 3 90-minute stints played, with Sanson only behind Valère Germain. These pressing metrics highlight Sanson’s high work-rate and an ability to win the ball back for his side in dangerous positions, attributes that Villas-Boas desires from his players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Appreciate it but I don’t watch these sort of things, pretty to watch a player and judge for myself. I also quite like watching a player in our shirt that I know nothing about.

Just FYI, this has 0 clips of him playing and just describe what kind of player he is and how he’d fit into our team. 

I’m with you on the vids in general, but that one was genuinely interesting and informative. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Agreed. I wasn’t saying I had low expectations because of the fee, more that the fee doesn’t  represent much of a gamble in todays market. Given our history with French players any signing from France feels a little like a gamble to me but the low fee mitigates it.

Personally, i think the fee is about right. He looks good but 26 also and not capped internationally.

Like many I know next to nothing about him, but I'm extremely confident in our player recruitment these days so very excited by this. We seem to have a very good idea of what we want and how it fits into the system.

Â