Covid outbreak Jan 2021

NurembergVillan

2 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

What’s classy about just chucking away points? If I were Liverpool, Chelsea, Leicester etc. I’d be kicking up as much of a fuss as Villa about this. Our first team can get results against anyone. Chucking out a load of kids to get beat is just bad for the sporting integrity of the league let alone the potential impact on our season.

I assumed that we’d had some assurances that the game on Wednesday would be postponed as part of agreeing to play the kids in the cup to be honest. 

Your right I had a moral high ground moment! Stuff ‘em if we can’t field a proper team that has trained properly we shouldn’t play. 

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I could actually see a case where we call it off and Levy/Mourinho start going to the premier league and demanding 3-0 win to be awarded to them.

As I've said though that sort of claim would just be laughed out of court given a) teams as recently as last week have called games off at short notice with even less players ill or testing positive b) Spurs had a match with Fulham called off and they were disappointed but weren't seemingly pressing Fulham like they are us c) we had a game called off in near idential circumstances two months back.

I really don't understand how anyone could make us play, not least because we're not really making the decision, it's the health officials laying down 10 day isolation and given how bleak the situation is in U.K again it's not something you can just ignore. It's different to Boro years back when they just didn't bother to turn up at Blackburn as they'd had a flu outbreak.

Mourinho is being incredibly even more petty than usual as they easily could've had outbreak given 3 of their players were meeting up on xmas day and then coming in for training so hardly moral guardians in this.

Don't really understand any club taking that stance in these times. I didn't when Newcastle called their game off v us as I thought it was right decision and we could easily have plenty of cases a few months down the line and here we are now.

Would be hilarious if Spurs lost their whole first team before league cup final and they had to play likes of Harvey White and the 16 year old who scored v Man. City.

Pretty sure Mourinho is acting this way as he sees us a threat not just in terms of the game but in league position. He was out last week saying we are his favourite club to watch to start some mind games

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Pretty sure Mourinho is acting this way as he sees us a threat not just in terms of the game but in league position. He was out last week saying we are his favourite club to watch to start some mind games

I think he would have behaved this way regardless of who they were playing.  

• Like 2

Mourinho is an absolute word removed and I love it. Owns his role as the late 90s Vince McMahon of football. Doesn't pretend to be nicey nicey like Klopp.

He's putting himself in the best position possible to have a massive moan when this is called off, which he should.

This game ain't happening without us being happy.

• Like 4

Something I don't understand - if someone could explain it / the logic behind it.

Other clubs have had Covid positives and fielded a first team from the remaining available players. Citeh for instance had 4 out with positive tests,  but the rest of the team were fine to play a game 1 day later. Whether this was safe or not is another story - probably not, but it happened.

Now us. We have 10 players and 4 staff test positive and our entire first team bubble, including some U23 players and all staff, go into isolation.

Granted our number of positives is much higher but what's the logic behind a decision that deems 4 positive tests to be equal to 4 people isolating, whereas 14 positive tests equals somewhere in the region of 25-30 people isolating?

Edited by est1874
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Mourinho is an absolute word removed and I love it. Owns his role as the late 90s Vince McMahon of football. Doesn't pretend to be nicey nicey like Klopp.

He's putting himself in the best position possible to have a massive moan when this is called off, which he should.

This game ain't happening without us being happy.

Yes he will say anything if he thinks it gives him or his team an edge. He knows damn well it won't go ahead!

8 hours ago, est1874 said:

Something I don't understand - if someone could explain it / the logic behind it.

Other clubs have had Covid positives and fielded a first team from the remaining available players. Citeh for instance had 4 out with positive tests,  but the rest of the team were fine to play a game 1 day later. Whether this was safe or not is another story - probably not, but it happened.

Now us. We have 10 players and 4 staff test positive and our entire first team bubble, including some U23 players and all staff, go into isolation.

Granted our number of positives is much higher but what's the logic behind a decision that deems 4 positive tests to be equal to 4 people isolating, whereas 14 positive tests equals somewhere in the region of 25-30 people isolating?

I suppose it is possible that the 4 people for City had not trained with the rest of the team, and have not have the option to spread the virus? Where as ours had trained together between testing and result

Edited by TheStagMan

8 hours ago, est1874 said:

Yep, this I cant get my head around?

Man City had a game called off yet opened up their trainingground a day later? A few days later they played a PL game, but only the players with Covid not playing? Why werent their whole squad in isolation?

Oh man this is such a mess. I kind of wish they'd just turned round to Newcastle at the start of this and told them they have to play their kids or forfeit. We're going to have a crazy amount of games in hand now.

I get why we played the kids in the cup as the so-called "big" teams do that all the time. Those competitions are always compromised, from a sporting perspective, it didn't do any harm. The league is a different game though by virtue of the prize money involved. I get why they didn't want to take the difficult decision with Newcastle at the start as they had no idea if that was going to be an isolated or infrequent incident so wanted to give them the best chance of completing all 38 games with a full team. The sheer number of positive test and games under threat/postponed causes a massive problem as the precedent has already been set. You have to think the number of games to be made up is going to cause injuries though.

The simple solution is to scrap the Euros altogether and play into the summer again but there's no way uefa are going to permit that. The league has to be finished by a reasonable date and in a manner that's fair to teams and players.

12 hours ago, lexicon said:

It's nice that we're well beyond the point where somebody suggests Ravel Morrison now that's he available on a free again 😂

I still remember the summer I was genuinely excited about the prospect of Morrison and Ross McCormack playing in the same team. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

According to the Athletic the PL are considering replacing our game with Fulham playing Spurs instead.

I actually cant believe they are considering it!

I mean it's the seemingly obvious thing to do, and would simply solve a problem, but when have the pl ever acted rationally before?

It is indeed serious times!

Edited by Nigel
  • Haha 1

Â