Covid outbreak Jan 2021

NurembergVillan

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its a farce if we have to play Wednesday and as big of a farce if Fulham vs Spurs goes ahead as neither club will be prepared at 48 hours notice.

How does that figure? They're both in London and Spurs are literally on record saying they'll be preparing for the Villa game to go ahead. If Mourinho is half the manager he thinks he is, surely he can adjust tactics to suit relegation fodder Fulham.

As for Fulham, yeah it's not ideal for them, but the fixture list will have to become malleable from here on out, this is just the first of many such cases I'd imagine. Farce is entirely too strong a word for it.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

this season is also easier in terms of potentially cancelling altogether. last season you had liverpool that were so far ahead it would've been unfair (whilst **** hilarious) to cancel the season. this year is tight at the top.

If you were to cancel this season altogether, we'd lose clubs. Without the TV revenue for this season I think we'd see a lot go under.

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

come on mate, if this happened to us we'd be raging. think back to last season, where you're down near the bottom and feel like you can't catch a break. i genuinely sympathise with them

it's probably nothing to do with the fact it was 120 mins as opposed to 90. had they known they had a game wednesday their whole schedule would've changed. players probably had a day off yesterday when they would probably be having their pre-spurs tactical meeting so they've already lost a day of preparation

I agree. The PL should have been arranging this last week once the full details of our outbreak were known. Although, maybe that is the case and the media/public are just not wise to it yet.

On the other hand, if you can cancel a match on a few hours notice, you can't necessarily complain when a fixture is re-arranged on a few days notice.

• Like 2

If it comes down to it, i'd rather take a 3-0 loss that comes with a forfeit rather than send the kids out and potentially destroy our goal difference.

This will also get us greater sympathy in the football world as the narrative would be that we couldn't put a team together due to covid whilst other teams were allowed to postpone.

6 minutes ago, est1874 said:

How does that figure? They're both in London and Spurs are literally on record saying they'll be preparing for the Villa game to go ahead. If Mourinho is half the manager he thinks he is, surely he can adjust tactics to suit relegation fodder Fulham.

As for Fulham, yeah it's not ideal for them, but the fixture list will have to become malleable from here on out, this is just the first of many such cases I'd imagine. Farce is entirely too strong a word for it.

Fulham are preparing for Chelsea and will set up training accordingly which includes fitness levels over the week. Throwing them an earlier game at short notice is really not acceptable. Spurs will be prepared for a game anyway which gives them an even bigger advantage

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Fulham are preparing for Chelsea and will set up training accordingly which includes fitness levels over the week. Throwing them an earlier game at short notice is really not acceptable. Spurs will be prepared for a game anyway which gives them an even bigger advantage

Cry me a river. It's not exactly ideal for us either. It was a pain in the arse for both Villa and Toon when the Newcastle game was postponed, that has yet to be resolved. Other clubs have also been on the wrong end of postponements.

I can give you directions if you're looking for someone to feel sorry for Fulham.

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

Cry me a river. It's not exactly ideal for us either. It was a pain in the arse for both Villa and Toon when the Newcastle game was postponed, that has yet to be resolved. Other clubs have also been on the wrong end of postponements.

I can give you directions if you're looking for someone to feel sorry for Fulham.

Its not about the postponement games have been rightfully called off and our game should too, but nobody should be forced to play on short notice

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Just now, Zatman said:

Its not about the postponement games have been rightfully called off and our game should too, but nobody should be forced to play on short notice

The annoying thing about this scenario is that everyone has known since wed/th last week that Aston Villa will have to isolate for 10 days, so they could have starting rolling the changes from then rather than whispers about it on monday morning when we havent even had confirmation that the Villa Spurs game is postponed yet. 

Wheres the organisation here? Its a multibillion industry and they seem so slow in making decisions. You'd expect them to be the sharpest tools in the box.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

There’s a relatively simple solution in front of the authorities if they wish to explore it. Fulham can play their earlier postponed fixture against Spurs this coming Wednesday instead of Villa, as long as the Fulham v Chelsea fixture (scheduled for Friday evening) is pushed back to Saturday or Sunday. Villa can then play the Spurs fixture in the slot that Fulham would have played Spurs in their rearranged fixture. 

They’re all jumping on my idea now, aren’t they 🤣

NBA showed how it could be done with its finals behind closed doors.

Everyone in a bubble, games played with no issues.

If the worst came, I see no reason why Euros couldn't be completed in a similar fashion in a city with numerous stadiums (just to keep pitches fresh). I.e. London.

But, I expect the virus to slow down in the summer with the ongoing vaccinations. Euros will happen, and the PL will finish. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Junxs said:

The annoying thing about this scenario is that everyone has known since wed/th last week that Aston Villa will have to isolate for 10 days, so they could have starting rolling the changes from then rather than whispers about it on monday morning when we havent even had confirmation that the Villa Spurs game is postponed yet. 

Wheres the organisation here? Its a multibillion industry and they seem so slow in making decisions. You'd expect them to be the sharpest tools in the box.

in fairness, we have no idea what conversations have been had and when. the PL for all we know were straight on the blower to fulham last friday saying "all possibilities are being looked at, one of which being you playing spurs next wednesday"

it's just that the athletic are only reporting it today

9 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think we need to stop making like Fulham need to man up or something. It's not their fault they caught covid earlier in the season, no more than it's our fault that we did. The clubs are doing their best to play these games in an environment where almost everything else is shut down. Fulham are having a season where every single point is going to matter towards survival. Had they been notified earlier about a re-scheduled fixture (and make no mistake, they could have been...) then they could have played their FA Cup game earlier in the cup window and had better preparation.  But because of the FA and the Premier League's prevarication, Fulham are potentially facing a compromise to their season that could knock on into future games. It's not fair on them and each club's fans shouldn't be turning on each other - albeit **** typical that they do. The governing bodies are at fault. The clubs are not the bad guys in any of this and Fulham are trying to avoid a relegation that would cost them hundreds of millions, all while the 2 arsehole governing bodies act late, lazily and inconsiderately on a whim. We'd feel the same.

Again, I will never bring myself to feel a shred of sympathy for Fulham.

You're also assuming that all the rumours in the media are true and Fulham aren't happy about the short notice. We don't know any of this for a fact yet.

Why don't we just wait and see what happens?

30 minutes ago, est1874 said:

so you'd be absolutely fine if the shoe was on the other foot and we got told with 2 days notice that we had a game vs a top side that we hadn't prepared for? football fans are allowed to feel sympathy for other clubs you know...fulham are hardly a rival of ours.

not sure how much of a pain in the arse for us it was that the newcastle game got postponed either. in fact, we are likely to have barkley fit for the rearranged fixture that we didn't have last time. also, we beat wolves the following weekend. it could easily be argued that we had extra prep time for that game that might have made the difference

27 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

so you'd be absolutely fine if the shoe was on the other foot and we got told with 2 days notice that we had a game vs a top side that we hadn't prepared for? football fans are allowed to feel sympathy for other clubs you know...fulham are hardly a rival of ours.

not sure how much of a pain in the arse for us it was that the newcastle game got postponed either. in fact, we are likely to have barkley fit for the rearranged fixture that we didn't have last time. also, we beat wolves the following weekend. it could easily be argued that we had extra prep time for that game that might have made the difference

I'm well aware it's possible to feel sympathy for other clubs. Fulham is not one of those I will ever feel sympathy for, and I'm not about apologise for that.

How quickly people forget - Fulham were a rival of ours less than 2 years ago. I don't see what that has to do with it either way. I don't feel threatened by them, I just don't like them.

As for having Barkley fit for the rearranged fixture, possibly, but you don't know anything about what the condition of our players will be after contracting Covid-19. One of our First XI is asthmatic; if he's caught Covid, which I sincerely hope not, it's not unlikely that he'll have a much longer recovery time. The same might be true of anyone else with an underlying condition, or players who simply get unlucky. I'm hoping and praying for a quick recovery for all, but I'm not naive enough to think that we'll just snap back into form.

On the rescheduling of the Newcastle game (or any game from here on out), the more likely event is that it will be wedged in between two other games, at short notice, with little rest time before or after. So I'm not sure how that could ever be in our benefit - nor am I clear on how that's any different from Fulham's situation - apart from the fact that we may have 9 first-teamers still recovering from a potentially deadly disease at the time. The long-term effects of Covid on survivors of all ages are still very poorly understood.

So as I've said before and will continue to reiterate - cry me a river about Fulham. We and other clubs have much bigger things to worry about than whether or not they'll have to play a game at short notice. I couldn't give a rat's arse.

Edited by est1874

51 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think we need to stop making like Fulham need to man up or something. It's not their fault they caught covid earlier in the season, no more than it's our fault that we did. The clubs are doing their best to play these games in an environment where almost everything else is shut down. Fulham are having a season where every single point is going to matter towards survival. Had they been notified earlier about a re-scheduled fixture (and make no mistake, they could have been...) then they could have played their FA Cup game earlier in the cup window and had better preparation.  But because of the FA and the Premier League's prevarication, Fulham are potentially facing a compromise to their season that could knock on into future games. It's not fair on them and each club's fans shouldn't be turning on each other - albeit **** typical that they do. The governing bodies are at fault. The clubs are not the bad guys in any of this and Fulham are trying to avoid a relegation that would cost them hundreds of millions, all while the 2 arsehole governing bodies act late, lazily and inconsiderately on a whim. We'd feel the same.

Somebody give @BOF a microphone!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I agree with all of that, except I have a little more sympathy for the 2 governing bodies (but not much). The Clubs (PL clubs) are basically playing games because of TV contracts - billions of quid is at stake. That's the only reason they are trying to complete the season, and they're doing all that while UEFA & FIFA are wanting their Championships/World Cup in the Summer and then Winter , which utterly bollexes the schedules. And during a pandemic the likes of which no-one alive has experienced before. So yeah sympathy to an extent for the difficulty of the task they have too (FA and Premier League) - each club is also looking after its own interests - Spurs, Fulham, Villa etc. while trying to protect their players and staff from the fungus and fatigue and all the rest of it.

With the FA cup, non league and smaller clubs depend on windfalls form these games, so binning it off isn't an option either.

It's just really really tricky for everyone. 

• Like 1

Â