Covid outbreak Jan 2021

NurembergVillan

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

This has been posted in another thread - if it were to happen it'd cause absolute chaos in the game.

A 3-4 week break would mean that when the teams return, there simply wouldn't be time to play all of the tournaments, which means one of a number of different business's would have to give up their major revenue stream. I think it'd result in a situation where the various bodies (FIFA, UEFA, The Premier League, The FA) would go to war on getting their tournament completed and the others cancelled - for each of them, we're looking at an enormous amount of money being secured or lost.

Imagine the Premier League instructing its teams to play league games instead of taking part in the FA Cup, or UEFA telling players that they need to report for international duty rather than finish off the season, you'd have teams scheduled to play in the Champions league and the Premier league on the same day and being forced to choose - it'd be chaos as the various groups eat each other.

A 3-4 week break could change football forever.

BHA have made a statement saying the rumours are not true, so looks like it was fake news on social media . I’ve spoke to Donald about it, and he’s going to get to the bottom of it before he leaves the White House 

#Fakemedia 

• Like 1

Some seem to have got it into their minds that Spurs have to play either one of us or Fulham this week, so are arguing for Fulham to play them as though if that doesn't happen we will be forced to play with an under strenght team. If Fulham feel it's unfair that they should be asked to play midweek that has nothing to do with us.

23 minutes ago, blandy said:

I agree with all of that, except I have a little more sympathy for the 2 governing bodies (but not much). The Clubs (PL clubs) are basically playing games because of TV contracts - billions of quid is at stake. That's the only reason they are trying to complete the season, and they're doing all that while UEFA & FIFA are wanting their Championships/World Cup in the Summer and then Winter , which utterly bollexes the schedules. And during a pandemic the likes of which no-one alive has experienced before. So yeah sympathy to an extent for the difficulty of the task they have too (FA and Premier League) - each club is also looking after its own interests - Spurs, Fulham, Villa etc. while trying to protect their players and staff from the fungus and fatigue and all the rest of it.

With the FA cup, non league and smaller clubs depend on windfalls form these games, so binning it off isn't an option either.

It's just really really tricky for everyone. 

Oh I know the clubs aren't acting selflessly and it's tricky for everyone. Which is why Fulham would 'only' be miffed because the closeness of games compromises their chances of making the same money next season.  But that's the industry they're in. They won't want to be overly compromised in their own goals (pardon the pun) just so that someone else isn't overly compromised in theirs. I just think this situation - even the very solution which looks like being implemented - could have been done a whole lot better and in much better time had the arseholes at the top been more decisive in their decision making. They've known about our outbreak for a while now.

14 minutes ago, Knutserov13 said:

I think the clubs have to be flexible in this strange season, this time it´s Fulham. The next time it might be Everton or Brighton, who knows.

And this is the mindset that has come about. Why is it that the clubs be flexible? Why not the federations? They were flexible enough to give Qatar a winter world cup. The clubs bending over backwards is not the only solution in this. Especially when the health of their players is often part of the equation. They're not cattle. Don't let the Premier League fool us into thinking they're doing everything they can.  They're not. They've shown this week that they're not. They'll do the minimum possible as late as they want and inconvenience whoever they want to as long as it's not themselves. words removed.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

And this is the mindset that has come about. Why is it that the clubs be flexible? Why not the federations? They were flexible enough to give Qatar a winter world cup. The clubs bending over backwards is not the only solution in this. Especially when the health of their players is often part of the equation. They're not cattle. Don't let the Premier League fool us into thinking they're doing everything they can.  They're not. They've shown this week that they're not. They'll do the minimum possible as late as they want and inconvenience whoever they want to as long as it's not themselves. words removed.

whether the PL are right or wrong to do this is neither here nor there anymore. they've done it, so clubs now should expect anything. fulham are just the unfortunate guinea pigs.

no midweek game this week? well, we're going to prepare as if we have one anyway. that newcastle game could be dropped upon us at any point, so i expect us to be ready. games will be decided on who is better prepared

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

whether the PL are right or wrong to do this is neither here nor there anymore. they've done it, so clubs now should expect anything. fulham are just the unfortunate guinea pigs.

no midweek game this week? well, we're going to prepare as if we have one anyway. that newcastle game could be dropped upon us at any point, so i expect us to be ready. games will be decided on who is better prepared

Luckily i think we have a management team that will be on the ball and have is prepared for it

• Like 1

I have sympathy for Fulham and for Tottenham as well in this case. But to be honest I only really care about Aston Villa.

The game should have been postponed. I have a lot of concerns for the Everton game, let alone throwing the kids again. Even if our players test negative , they won't be physically ready for Everton. It'll be a loss. If we were forced to play Tottenham too it'd have been two losses at a very wrong time of the season. 

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

Yep they've shown how desperate they are to fulfil fixtures now. Schedule gaps are like hen's teeth and they'll fill them any which way.  There was (and possibly still is...) a scenario for Villa having 0, 1, 2 or 3 fixtures within the gameweek 19 window.  The Premier League have shown that we need to be ready for all of those eventualities, less than 2 weeks after 9 of our squad will have been tested positive for COVID and you can safely assume some or all of them will still be feeling the effects. The Premier League don't give 2 shits about the players. They only care about the money. They cancelled a WPL fixture over 1 positive test. The only difference is the financial consideration. The human one should be the same. It wasn't.

To get this season finished there is going to be a serious amount of fixture changes like this on the horizon. 

Still I think this is the right thing to do. Hopefully our squad will be fit and well to play Everton on Sunday. 

Just now, omariqy said:

Common sense but not sure why this wasn’t done a few days ago

It posturing. We had to say we were doing "all we could to get the game played", Spurs had to say they wanted the game to proceed and the FA had to leave the decision as late as possible to look the part. 

The moment we closed the training ground this game was off. Everyone knew it but we all needed to play along with the charade! 

• Like 2

Â