Covid outbreak Jan 2021

NurembergVillan

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Surely our game with Newcastle can now be played during FA Cup 4th round weekend?

that's a no brainer. it's happened before too under slightly different circumstances going back a few years (under MON i think) we moved a mid week game vs blackburn to the 4th round weekend as weekend games are easier for fans etc because both of us went out in the 3rd round

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

come on mate, if this happened to us we'd be raging. think back to last season, where you're down near the bottom and feel like you can't catch a break. i genuinely sympathise with them

it's probably nothing to do with the fact it was 120 mins as opposed to 90. had they known they had a game wednesday their whole schedule would've changed. players probably had a day off yesterday when they would probably be having their pre-spurs tactical meeting so they've already lost a day of preparation

Playing 120  mins on a Saturday then playing again on a Wednesday is hardly uncommon.  It's certainly far more reasonable to expect them to play than us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

According to the Athletic the PL are considering replacing our game with Fulham playing Spurs instead.

More like Greg Evans clocked the suggestion on here yesterday and then ran with it 😁

• Like 2

I don't sympathise with Fulham. This is the crowd who brought plastic clappers to Wembley. 

And if I was a neutral looking at both our clubs, I know whose side I'd be on. Hint: the one with 9 first team players out due to Covid.

Edited by est1874

If we don't play Spurs it shouldn't automatically mean that Fulham have to play them instead, and it's not like if Fulham don't play them then we will have to, this isn't about giving Tottenham what's best for them, they may well just have to go without a fixture and make do with it.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Playing 120  mins on a Saturday then playing again on a Wednesday is hardly uncommon.  It's certainly far more reasonable to expect them to play than us.

it is when they only find out about the wednesday game on the monday before the game

i don't have the solution. this is probably the only one. but if i was a fulham fan i'd be fuming at this

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I don't sympathise with Fulham. This is the crowd who brought plastic clappers to Wembley

And if I was a neutral looking at both our clubs, I know whose side I'd be on. Hint: the one with 9 first team players out due to Covid.

Not sure this will come into consideration in any decision-making.

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

There’s apparently a meeting today to discuss elite sports closing down for 3-4 weeks. No surprise given the scenes in the fa cup over the weekend and also footballers not sticking to the rules. The BHA(British horse racing authority) are meeting government officials today)  . Very little contact between people in horse racing , so looks like the lot is shutting down. 

This has been posted in another thread - if it were to happen it'd cause absolute chaos in the game.

A 3-4 week break would mean that when the teams return, there simply wouldn't be time to play all of the tournaments, which means one of a number of different business's would have to give up their major revenue stream. I think it'd result in a situation where the various bodies (FIFA, UEFA, The Premier League, The FA) would go to war on getting their tournament completed and the others cancelled - for each of them, we're looking at an enormous amount of money being secured or lost.

Imagine the Premier League instructing its teams to play league games instead of taking part in the FA Cup, or UEFA telling players that they need to report for international duty rather than finish off the season, you'd have teams scheduled to play in the Champions league and the Premier league on the same day and being forced to choose - it'd be chaos as the various groups eat each other.

A 3-4 week break could change football forever.

cancelling the euros is the only solution if footy was postponed for a few weeks. they wont have fans in the stadiums anyway so whatever happens they'll have to hold the euros in just a few cities

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

cancelling the euros is the only solution if footy was postponed for a few weeks. they wont have fans in the stadiums anyway so whatever happens they'll have to hold the euros in just a few cities

I'm sorry, but taking our British hats off and considering the wider football world,  Portugal Vs France is looked at as far more important, entertaining and prestigious than West Ham Vs Burnley on a Tuesday night.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't see why the Euros have to be cancelled or postponed, if they have to halt football for a month then just push everything back a month like how this season started late, just start 2021/22 in October. Play the Euros in August and finished by mid September. 

It's not like fans have bought tickets so they have to stay on schedule

If you're the Chief executive of UEFA, it's your job to do the best thing for your company, to protect your investors and those people who are stakeholders in your business, like the sponsors, the TV companies, the various national bodies and FA's - now if you have a number of global TV deals for the Euros worth say £600m, that money funds a huge amount of the stuff you want to do over the next couple of years, it's your largest revenue stream - if you're not trying to protect that, you're the worst CEO of all time.

If you're the Chief executive of the Premier League, it's your job to do the best thing for your company, to protect your investors and those people who are stakeholders in your business, like the sponsors, the TV companies, and the clubs - now if you have a number of TV deals domesitcally and internationally for the remainder of the season worth say £600m, that money funds a huge amount of the stuff your clubs are doing - it pays the wages of your superstars, it's your largest revenue stream - if you're not trying to protect that, you're the worst CEO of all time.

In order for either of those two CEO's to be in a position to consider just stopping, they'd want massive compensation from the other - and there is no way in hell that the Premier League and other leagues across Europe are going to compensate UEFA by £600m in order to get the Euros postponed. Those clubs are currently desperately grasping for any income they can get having lost their match day revenues.

Expecting UEFA to cancel the Euros for the benefit of the Premier League is like expecting Coke to stop production for a couple of months because Pepsi are in trouble.

• Like 3

this season is also easier in terms of potentially cancelling altogether. last season you had liverpool that were so far ahead it would've been unfair (whilst **** hilarious) to cancel the season. this year is tight at the top.

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Apparently Fulham are not happy about it though because they played 120 minutes this weekend, boohoo.

They played a complete different team at the weekend.  

3 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I don't see why the Euros have to be cancelled or postponed, if they have to halt football for a month then just push everything back a month like how this season started late, just start 2021/22 in October. Play the Euros in August and finished by mid September. 

It's not like fans have bought tickets so they have to stay on schedule

That's certainly possible to a degree - but it'd still mean compensation on the UEFA TV deals. That's not insurmountable though I guess, it wouldn't be a cancellation fee, just a charge for forcing the TV companies to reschedule.

If we delayed a month - this season could go to the end of June or maybe sneak into July, with the Euros in August and then the next season starting in October - that season would run through to July of 2022 with a short summer of just August off and a start in September for a 2022-23 season that would then run to August 2023 in order to allow an eight week gap for the blood World Cup. That late start would mean they'd need to slightly reschedule the 2024 Euros and then try to bring the calendar back online over the next two or three years so that we're back to normal for a regular World Cup in the summer of 2026.

The problem is that they've already squashed the schedule so much because no one body is prepared to take a hit on their tournament. It'd be hectic for the next five years but possible I guess, but there'd be so much change I'm not sure that they'd be able to force it through.

• Like 1

Â