Covid outbreak Jan 2021

NurembergVillan

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Either all teams should be forced to play as long as they can scrap up 14 players or no team should be forced to play who has Covid issues in their squad on more than just the odd player.

The PL said that 14 players was the rule and they should have stuck with that. They didn't and thus we nor any other team should be forced to play. Even if it means that some of the bigger clubs get a even sillier schedule.

The PL is a joke league with their VAR and their handling of this.

It’s crazy for the FA to try to put a number on how many fit players a team has to have to field a viable team. What if a team has no goalkeepers or 14 fit strikers but no defenders? I know Brucie set a precedent when we had 11 right backs on the pitch but it just isn’t realistic. 

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

What the actual F?

They’re actually going to make us play this game aren’t they!

I don't think they are making us play. I think this is some Purslow pride type shit, like "other clubs are postponing, but Villa aren't other clubs" type bullshit.

Just take the postpone and don't ruin our position in the league, I guarantee our status as a Covid infected club is enough to grant us time like it has for others.

• Like 2

There’s a relatively simple solution in front of the authorities if they wish to explore it. Fulham can play their earlier postponed fixture against Spurs this coming Wednesday instead of Villa, as long as the Fulham v Chelsea fixture (scheduled for Friday evening) is pushed back to Saturday or Sunday. Villa can then play the Spurs fixture in the slot that Fulham would have played Spurs in their rearranged fixture. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

There’s a relatively simple solution in front of the authorities if they wish to explore it. Fulham can play their earlier postponed fixture against Spurs this coming Wednesday instead of Villa, as long as the Fulham v Chelsea fixture (scheduled for Friday evening) is pushed back to Saturday or Sunday. Villa can then play the Spurs fixture in the slot that Fulham would have played Spurs in their rearranged fixture. 

That's far too sensible 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Blackpool have been fined £25,000 by the Premier League for fielding a weakened team in a league game against Aston Villa on 10 November.

The Seasiders boss made 10 changes to the side that drew 2-2 against Everton at Bloomfield Road the Saturday before.

Blackpool manager Ian Holloway had threatened to resign if the club were fined, later saying: "I'm the manager and I manage the players how I want."

The Seasiders have 14 days to decide whether to appeal against the fine.

Holloway was almost vindicated as his makeshift team were narrowly beaten 3-2 after a last-minute goal from James Collins.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif
606: DEBATE

A similar move by Mick McCarthy last season resulted in Wolves getting a suspended £25,000 Premier League fine.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson said he questioned the Premier League's decision.

"You are allowed to have 25 players," said Ferguson, who is expected to make a significant number of changes to his own starting line-up for Saturday's FA Cup tie at Southampton.

"They ask you to name them. They don't ask you to name your 11 and 14 substitutes. The rules are there."

Blackpool chairman Karl Oyston called the fine "unjust" and said the club could appeal against it. He also stated that he would ensure Holloway did not follow through with his threat to leave Bloomfield Road.

"There is no way I would countenance Ian resigning and I will do everything in my power to make sure that doesn't happen," Oyston told BBC Radio 5 live.

"I think he is disappointed the same as we all are because on the face of it, it is an unjust fine and seems to lack reason.

"The Premier League set their criteria that you have to name a 25-man squad ahead of the season and effectively they then come back in a scarily big brother-type way and tell you those players aren't good enough or the manager hasn't got the right to name the team that he wants to name."

Speaking after the match at Villa Park, Holloway had admitted that making such wholesale changes may have looked like a "crazy" move but he said his hand was forced by the busy Premier League calendar.

"We've got four games in 12 days and the lads I've played every week are struggling to keep up the level," he stated.

Holloway threatened to resign in 2010

"Let them try and fine me, it's an absolute disgrace. I'll show the Premier League. We were a credit to football, and let the Premier League try to tell me otherwise."

Premier League rules stipulate that all clubs must select from a 25-man squad.

Holloway argued that because he had fulfilled this obligation, a case for fielding an understrength side could not be mounted against him.

However, the Premier League said it considers this an extreme case.

Blackpool have also confirmed that Holloway's team selection for their FA Cup third-round loss at Southampton was also taken into consideration before the verdict.

Holloway made nine changes for that game earlier this month as he prioritised a Premier League game against Liverpool the following week.

He effectively said he was prepared to write off the FA Cup because his team had little chance of winning the competition and avoiding relegation should be his prime aim.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/b/blackpool/9378679.stm

We are also risking a fine by playing going by these rules

Don't understand why we're so willing to go ahead if this report is true. Yes it's good to be moral victors and do the right thing to try to always play the games but we aren't half putting ourselves at major disadvantage just throwing away 3 points if we have to put likes of Lansbury out.

Surely the training ground being shut pretty much kills off any chance of the game going ahead as we can't really be expected to just turn up at the ground on Wednesday and play the game without no preparation? Surely?!

You look back two weeks and Man. City made what looks like a very clever strategic call to get the Everton game off. Gave them a decent break over xmas and they've come back flying.

Also surprised a few of teams around Spurs in league aren't protesting. They win this 6 or 7 nil and that would really inflate their GD so that could be crucial for top 4 in the end.

It shouldn't be played. When Newcastle had their training ground closed their game with us was called off hours later so I don't understand what is going on.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Chelsea won't want to play at the weekend and then again on Tuesday against Leicester.

Common sense says to postpone ours and wait for Spurs to drop out of one of their cup competitions.

52 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

If we play with a scratch team of kids and some of the first team but play with the same fortitude and resolve as the kids did on Friday night we could still get something out of the next two games. Either way we can gain respect from large chunks of the general football world. Additionally we will confirm what we already have known for a long time that Mourinho is a classless nerk who works for an equally classless nerk. The precedent will be set and  woe betide Spurs if they try to get games called off because Harry Kane has stubbed his toe. 

You can buy flashy footballers and flashy stadiums but you can’t buy class. 

Maybe but it will all be forgotten in May if Spurs win two trophies and finish top 4 and we finish about 12th. Suddently being sporting and just giving away free points to teams barely above us in the table would be seen as start of the downturn.

AFAIK we are under no legal obligation to play given other clubs haven't so don't really get what grounds premier league could challenge us on, it's hardly a case that would stand up in a sporting court if they just awarded a 3-0 to Spurs if we didn't turn up.

One thing I don't get from all this....Man. City are also in league cup final and still have to play us and Everton. Surely they're going to have even more fixture congestion than Spurs in the run in as you'd expect them to get further in europe and probably FA cup aswell so why wasn't Everton-Man. City being played when it should've or at least re-arranged for this week (cancel Wolves-Everton instead).

Spurs would have to have season of a lifetime not to have any free weeks in May so they can play v us in final week if needs be.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

If we play with a scratch team of kids and some of the first team but play with the same fortitude and resolve as the kids did on Friday night we could still get something out of the next two games. Either way we can gain respect from large chunks of the general football world. Additionally we will confirm what we already have known for a long time that Mourinho is a classless nerk who works for an equally classless nerk. The precedent will be set and  woe betide Spurs if they try to get games called off because Harry Kane has stubbed his toe. 

You can buy flashy footballers and flashy stadiums but you can’t buy class. 

What’s classy about just chucking away points? If I were Liverpool, Chelsea, Leicester etc. I’d be kicking up as much of a fuss as Villa about this. Our first team can get results against anyone. Chucking out a load of kids to get beat is just bad for the sporting integrity of the league let alone the potential impact on our season.

I assumed that we’d had some assurances that the game on Wednesday would be postponed as part of agreeing to play the kids in the cup to be honest. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Why?

Why should we "take a loss"?

**** Newcastle didn't.

If they make us play I meant, depending who we're missing obviously. If we're missing the core of our team we aren't winning anyway, so sack it off

There's two different scenario's here.

1) we are being forced to play it - which is an absolute joke because of newcastle fulham and man city situations.

2) we actually want to try and play it - which is an absolute joke because we are still without half the first team squad and will have had no prep time

• Like 1

Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

There's two different scenario's here.

1) we are being forced to play it - which is an absolute joke because of newcastle fulham and man city situations.

2) we actually want to try and play it - which is an absolute joke because we are still without half the first team squad and will have had no prep time

3). The media haven’t got a clue what is being discussed in private and so are madly speculating.

• Like 1

We should not be playing this Wednesday. However, I wonder who actually has COVID. It may just be 1-2 potential starting 11. The issue is we will not have been able to get the team working on the training ground in preparation. 

I really do not understand why Villa would want this to go ahead?! We have no other cup commitments like many teams so our schedule isn’t bad. Play it later in the season. Anyway - precedent had already been set with 3 other clubs - Newcastle, Fulham and Man City. 

• Like 1

Surely the game cannot go ahead. 

Day 10 would be Wednesday so that’s 10 days of no training, no prep etc. Those positive may still feel unwell or may still be negative. 

Hope this isn’t a ‘pride’ or ‘look at Villa getting on with it’ kinda thing. 

Yeah to me it seems like Bham Mail just want to get some sort of exclusive.

I'd be shocked if we have to play on Wednesday. Actually I probably wouldn't be shocked as it's the kind of treatment we always seem to get handed.

Â