• Trézéguet
    • Grealish
    • Watkins
    • Traoré (Hourihane 74)
    • El Ghazi (Trézéguet 74)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/12/20 at 23:59

If Watkins wasn't fouled he wouldn't have been offside by a shirts sleeve. He used extra force to get away from Ogbonna. But we need to take our chances. Poor finishing again.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

When you say “every time West Ham attacked” that’s not very often to be fair. They scored from their only two shots on target. We’ve missed plenty of chances and made mistakes when dealing with a couple of balls into the box. I’m sure we’ll come out firing on Friday. The frustrations of the last couple of games should help to fire them up. 

I agree they didn’t attack much, and not too effectively when they did. That’s what made it more worrying for me that every time they did push forward, I felt they could score. Imagine if they had been playing as well as they normally do?

• Like 2

Just now, briny_ear said:

I agree they didn’t attack much, and not too effectively when they did. That’s what made it more worrying for me that every time they did push forward, I felt they could score. Imagine if they had been playing as well as they normally do?

Do they normally play well? For me it was a typical West Ham/Newcastle/Palace/Burnley win. Grab the lead and then retreat and defend for the entire game and ride your luck as best you can. It can get you wins but I wouldn’t want to go back to watching us play like that as opposed to some of what we play now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our overall football is actually very good. In all our games so far, only Leeds has dominated us (though we put in a horrible first 45 vs Southampton). And our finishing isn't as bad as people think - every team misses chances.

However, we still show naivety in the manner in which we concede and in simple things like game management (don't get me started on our throw ins!). So far this season we have not gained a single point when the opposition has scored first.

I think Dean has the "how we play our football" stuff sorted, he just needs to work on the "make sure your heads are screwed on" bit and we'd be doing brilliantly.

• Like 2

Honestly, it's quite bewildering how we managed to lose that game. We had so much more of the ball, loads more chances, and somehow contrived to miss a pen and a sitter.  Spam are a really shite team and can't believe they are 5th in the league, they've mugged us off last night.

It seems to be a common theme at the mo that all the opposition we face score with virtually every shot on target. Spam had 2 shots on target, 2 goals; Brighton 3 shots on target, 2 goals; Southampton 4 shots on target, 3 goals. On the other hand, we've had 6 shots on target against Spam, 1 goal; 4 shots on target against Brighton, 1 goal; 10 shots on target against Southampton, 3 goals. Do we blame the GK? I don't think so, as I don't think he could stop any of them. The defence is clearly a weak link for us though, we've reverted to being sloppy, and still can't defend set pieces properly. 

Trez's miss is unforgiveable given he did the same against Brighton, he might work hard for the team but against the barcodes I think he has to be taken out. Not good enough to constantly miss sitters, it's costing us points. 

We've lost 4 games this season and 3 were completely undeserved, why we always lose when we concede the first goal I don't know, this team is still weak as p*** mentally, it has to stop now. Must beat Newcastle on Friday and must be aiming to win 4 of the next 5 games. We're now 4 points down on last season just from the last 2 games, overall we're still up on last season but if we keep losing games like last night all that good early work in the season will be undone. I'm expecting a response on Friday. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

Woke up this morning still angry that we came away with nothing. Everyone but Moyes thinks it should have been a penalty. The refereeing in the championship was bad, this isn’t much better. We had our chances for that to not have mattered though, Watkins penalty miss and Trezeguet’s miss should have turned the game in our favour. West Ham were very lucky, they’re not a team of world beaters but they took their chances, literally, and rode a tidal wave of luck. 

We need to beat Newcastle on Friday, there needs to be a reaction. We’ve got a winnable run of games coming up. But we have to make it happen by taking the chances and cut out the sloppy defending. 

• Like 2

Most infuriating game since Selhurt Park last year and maybe the Everton game too when El Ghazi missed that sitter and Walcott scraped a late equaliser.

I thought we were brilliant in controlling the game. Its the most pleasing aspect for me. Sure we are sloppy in defence at times but I cant remember an opening 9 games of a season where we could say we have been the better side in 8 of them and look like creating so many chances when we attack. Its just so frustrating that we built a platform with the 5 wins from 7 going into some favourable games only to lose the first 2. What’s worse is I feel cheated out of them by the ridiculous officiating. 

Really hope the game goes ahead on Friday and all the frustration in the players lead us to a 5-0 hammering of Bruce.

• Like 3

Gutted at the result because that performance last night didn't deserve a return of nil points. Two shots on target from West Ham and they get two goals, we were by far the better team and played some nice football, we just lack a bit of quality up front.

Douglas Luiz alongside Jack ran the midfield last night, shame our defence isn't as good as it could be.

Hopefully Fridays game goes ahead and we will put in another good perfomance, we need three points quickly to keep us mid-table.

A decent performance but there are some points to note:

1. Watkins should not be our penalty taker, he had missed 3 of his last five and now it's 4 of his last 6 penalties. I am surprised Jack isn't taking them.

2. For all our nice passing we don't really create many chances. Basically it's pass the ball to Jack and let him do something special. 

3. Trez is a diver plain and simple. It wasn't a penalty against Brighton and it wasn't one last night either. He offers nothing apart from effort and he missed yet another sitter last night. 

4. One footed wingers like Traore bother me hugely. Mahrez and Bernardo Silva are also totally one footed so maybe Traore will work out but the jury is still out. He's still miles better than Trez though. 

5. We concede too many sloppy goals and just too many goals in general. Feels like we will concede two in every game we play.

6. WDFAFC

7. City must be getting oil money ready to buy back Luiz, he would be perfect for them and a steal at £35m or whatever the agreed price is.  

Few points:

1. Var. Use thicker lines. If they overlap, let it go - it isn't clear and obvious then

2. Yes Jack was a bit divey. However, these dumb refs can't see a chokehold when staring a screen for 5 minutes so they aren't gonna catch a sneaky wee kick. Jack simply has to exaggerate it just to draw attention to it. If you don't want him to do that STOP KICKING HIM

3. Seems like every post game analysis is about var. I went to hear them talk about goals, tactics, moments of skill, defensive critiques. Not a bunch of people arguing vague points about something no one understands

4. If Ollie had scored a goal with the part of his arm they called offside it would not have been allowed

5. Traore > trez

6. Love Conor but watching him try to  track back is like one of those dreams where you are trying to run away from a serial killer but your legs don't work properly 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Glad I don't watch football anymore, as listening to radio is bad enough.

I didn't even do that tonight, I checked the match thread and looked at Livescore.

Football has had it's day.

When shit machines and people who are words removed take over and decide when a goal isn't a goal, football is finished.

I know we are getting the shit end of it lately but overall it's a ****.

If this shit carries on when fans are allowed back in, there will be riots, and I don't **** blame them.

To be honest I'm inclined to wish I could have done the same.

Watching Villa the last two games has been demoralising, we have played well but ultimately shafted by VAR both games.

It's been a good start but it is such a shame we haven't been able to capitalise and we should have more points on the table.

I really like Trezeguet but last two matches he could have or should have scored four goals and as a result I'd give Traore a chance.

Substitutions are a problem, we need more competition. El Ghazi is not the answer, sell him in January and get Rashica in or someone similar.

Defence (and midfield) need to work on their concentration levels, we started cold both halves against the Spammers.

We need to put this right against the Barcodes on Friday or we could be in a scrap again.

• Like 1

Thoughts.....

Jack was great but has to stop this throwing himself to the floor, the problem is its become the norm in the league eg Aloski last week with Pepe that if you get kicked you try it on

The offside is offside on the basis of the rules now, the rules are all wrong though it totally ruins that moment in football and you argue over toenails/armpits - Should be daylight between them for offside

Missed penalty & point blank chance - Trez has to score as does Watkins, i was really surprised we didn't delay the sub and let conor have it 

Goals - Need to sort out this Zonal marking and funny how we lay into CB when Cash made very little effort to block the cross in the first instance - That doesn't suit the Mings agenda though

Overall - Played well, we will win more than we lose playing like that - Just need to cut out the mistakes

9 hours ago, richp999 said:

If anyone needs any proof var is corrupt, this is it. 

I don't think its corrupt its just a sh*t system being used incorrectly.

Hawkeye in tennis and cricket for example has ball tracking to help with decisions, VAR has a camera image with a bloke in a shed drawing lines where he feels like it to determine someone is offside by 2mm. Its a work in progress but the end game cant be what we are seeing now.

25 minutes ago, villa89 said:

3. Trez is a diver plain and simple. It wasn't a penalty against Brighton and it wasn't one last night either. He offers nothing apart from effort and he missed yet another sitter last night. 

This is just wrong. The ruled out pen against Brighton was clear contact and was ruled out for a microscopic touch from the defender. The pen last night was 100% a pen. Rice pulls him back at least twice. Both are exaggerated by Trez but the simple fact is if he doesn't do that they won't get given. If Watkins had done the same last night we may have another point on the board this morning. 

I agree with you that he needs to find his shooting boots as he is missing a sitter a game at the moment and it can't continue. 

• Like 1

They need to sort VAR in your league. Fans are more annoyed by it then they ever were by the ref or linesman missing something in a split second. Last night was as bad as the disallowed Leeds goal from a couple of weeks back plus Watkins was fouled which actually pushed his arm / shoulder "off". ☹️   Why didn't VAR pick this up if they were looking so closely and for so long at the incident?  ( only look at certain infringements I suppose which again is daft if they get their slide rules out for offside!) 

Other sports Cricket, Rugby, NFL etc all use video to the advantage of decision making and if there is a close decision where it is debatable, will let the original call stand. There needs to be common sense. This is not a computer game.

Certainly didn't deserve to lose last night. 

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 2

Â