• Trézéguet
    • Grealish
    • Watkins
    • Traoré (Hourihane 74)
    • El Ghazi (Trézéguet 74)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/12/20 at 23:59

I hate the hypocrisy when it comes to diving and the myth that it's only been in the English game since the influx of foreign players. There were some great players from the seventies who were notorious for diving, Franny Lee and Kenny Hibbert come to mind. Let's be honest, diving has probably been in the game since the penalty was introduced. 

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I hate the hypocrisy when it comes to diving and the myth that it's only been in the English game since the influx of foreign players. There were some great players from the seventies who were notorious for diving, Franny Lee and Kenny Hibbert come to mind. Let's be honest, diving has probably been in the game since the penalty was introduced. 

And the antichrist, cheating runt, that one at the Sty around 75 springs to mind

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

A decent performance but there are some points to note:

1. Watkins should not be our penalty taker, he had missed 3 of his last five and now it's 4 of his last 6 penalties. I am surprised Jack isn't taking them.

2. For all our nice passing we don't really create many chances. Basically it's pass the ball to Jack and let him do something special. 

3. Trez is a diver plain and simple. It wasn't a penalty against Brighton and it wasn't one last night either. He offers nothing apart from effort and he missed yet another sitter last night. 

4. One footed wingers like Traore bother me hugely. Mahrez and Bernardo Silva are also totally one footed so maybe Traore will work out but the jury is still out. He's still miles better than Trez though. 

5. We concede too many sloppy goals and just too many goals in general. Feels like we will concede two in every game we play.

6. WDFAFC

7. City must be getting oil money ready to buy back Luiz, he would be perfect for them and a steal at £35m or whatever the agreed price is.  

Didn't Jack sky a penalty against Sheff Utd ? We haven't had a decent penalty taker since Gareth Barry. 

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

Didn't Jack sky a penalty against Sheff Utd ? We haven't had a decent penalty taker since Gareth Barry. 

Hard to tell due to limited sample sizes. It feels like we’ve only been given about half a dozen of them all together since Gaz left.

10 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

And the antichrist, cheating runt, that one at the Sty around 75 springs to mind

The one where he dives for a penalty and gets our CB sent off?

If so I was there, my dad got tickets for the wrong end and we were in with the scum, right at the back.

Not a pleasant evening for a 12 year old.

Years later in a radio broadcast with Ron Toss he actually admitted to the audience that he dived, and found it all very amusing.

Adenoidal word removed.

Really disappointed with a lot of the comments here - we are worlds apart from last season and playing very decent football. The squad has been hugely improved and we’ve taken a giant step forward

We are obviously still short of depth but it can’t all happen in one season. Very many people seem to think we should be winning every week - that’s unrealistic. Personally I’ll be happy with mid table this season and a further strengthening next summer

I'm delighted with Smith, the squad and the progress made

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

The one where he dives for a penalty and gets our CB sent off?

If so I was there, my dad got tickets for the wrong end and we were in with the scum, right at the back.

Not a pleasant evening for a 12 year old.

Years later in a radio broadcast with Ron Toss he actually admitted to the audience that he dived, and found it all very amusing.

Adenoidal word removed.

Correct, funnily enough me and my Dad and his this nose he worked with and his two lads were at the bottom on the Kop, always remember how many thousands of Villa packed like sardines in the Tilton and the bottom of the Kop was virtually empty

Though it was a solid effort, Good performance and created bag fulls of chances, Play like that every week and we will be more than fine. 

Just one off those Swiss Cheese events when everything lined up for them and against us. 

Wouldn't change much for Newcastle, Maybe Ramsey in for Connor if Barkley not fit. 

You can't legislate for individual errors and incompetent officials, Hopefully on Friday they turn up with the right finishing boots instead of clown shoes and the VAR is trained and competent enough to understand the law and use the equipment. 

At some point in the season we will put an awful shift in like West Ham last night and win, then all be on here saying how the **** did we win that. 

Its a funny old game 😛

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 2

On 30/11/2020 at 21:57, Okonokos said:

Trezeguet has cost us another point. Had enough of him.

and the defence has cost us 3.

What may I pray, is wrong with winning 1-0 away from home, in such a tough and demanding League.

Why do we suddenly think we have world class players who can score at will and bring home the bacon, in every game......1 player nearly does bless him.

to listen to some, you would think we have Best,Law & Charlton up front.

you cannot concede goals with such ease and regularity in this League and do anything but fight relegation......trust me.

The clean sheets we mustered in the early exchanges, where have they disappeared to?......we simply haven't got the level of offensive personnel to cover that level of naive defending, and it drains any enthusiastic life ot of the team.

call me a steve Bruce lover, or a tony pulis lover.....but it would be futile attempt at covering the truth.......we are rearing our ugly head again of how not to defend, we could write that manual.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, TRO said:

If ever there was a game to shoot yourself in the foot, that was it.

it seems to me like....they all want to finish midtable, when opportunities stare you in the face to take more.

The mentality worries me at times......even carragher was more upset than the manager, with the goal that was ruled out.....I would like to see a bit more passion from him at times, its like we are doing ok, midtable is progress.

yes, it is.....but when better stares you in the face, why not take it.

I feel so angry with those conceded goals, more so than the misses.

He was upset alright he is just too smart to show it in his interview. 

2 hours ago, VillaCas said:

Really disappointed with a lot of the comments here - we are worlds apart from last season and playing very decent football. The squad has been hugely improved and we’ve taken a giant step forward

We are obviously still short of depth but it can’t all happen in one season. Very many people seem to think we should be winning every week - that’s unrealistic. Personally I’ll be happy with mid table this season and a further strengthening next summer

Yes I agree generally with what you're saying, we have improved a lot, and are starting to dominate games. We looked much better than Spam and them winning the game is absolutely inconceivable given the little they created. However, that still can't legislate for the fact that we've lost 4 of the last 5, against midtable at best teams (and yes, I include Arsenal in that).

We have to start showing more resilience. One point is better than zero points and we could easily have got that from the last 2 games but for poor defending and missing numerous opportunities. VAR has also f***ed us and I wish it would eff off, but we can't use that as an excuse for some of the goals we are conceding and the opportunities we are missing.

Four of the next five are games I believe we should be winning, I felt that about the recent games too but we've screwed those up, that's in the past now, it's now up to the team to turn up starting on Friday and stop dropping points we shouldn't. 

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He was upset alright he is just too smart to show it in his interview. 

I would like to think you are right.....because I desperately want to be wrong.

13 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

Do they normally play well? For me it was a typical West Ham/Newcastle/Palace/Burnley win. Grab the lead and then retreat and defend for the entire game and ride your luck as best you can. It can get you wins but I wouldn’t want to go back to watching us play like that as opposed to some of what we play now.

be careful what you wish for......points keep you in this league, not champagne football.....albeit, didn't see much of that yesterday, just loads of possession attached to a lack of composure in the final third.

Edited by TRO

15 hours ago, maqroll said:

When we leak in a goal seconds into each half, the manager must take the bulk of the blame, IMO. Must get the side more focused. That it actually happened in the second half is inexcusable, especially when we were the far better team on the day, despite poor shifts from Cash, Targett, Mings and Trez.

If anything can unite fans of different clubs, it's a hatred of VAR. Games should be boycotted until they scrap it.

Pre-VAR, that goal stands, and West Ham would not raise a finger in protest. So, what has VAR achieved other than to piss EVERYONE OFF?

We could've gone 4th, now we languish at the median. Maybe it's about our level anyway.

Everyone can **** off.

I was thinking the opposite, how can you blame the manager. He set us up perfectly to win the game, after that it's up to the players. If we dont want to challenge for headers or stop crosses, that has to rest with the players.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaCas said:

I think that is a really condescending response to what amounts to a very poor defensive display and a golden opportunity to snatch an away win, from a team, whose own admission was poor in display.

to keep responding on the whole season, when your comments would be much better served on the game itself, is irritating.

We have spent the best part of another £100 million, so you would expect an incremental rise in Stature.....but for a team who has dispatched the mighty Liverpool ,Arsenal and Leicester.....you would expect a better result than that, not to mention the woeful defending of crosses.

No passionate supporter of our club wants or delights in criticising the team, if you cared to listen to us waxing Lyrical after the Liverpool and Arsenal games, you would know that......No we can't win every game, but when you put in a cheap defensive display, allied to a comedy of errors up front, we are entitled to say it like we think it is.....No one wants to tarnish the dream, but sometimes reality has to surface.

still fuming with that debacle of a result......they say teams can get out of jail, they got out of Alcatraz, and we give them the bloody keys.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I was thinking the opposite, how can you blame the manager. He set us up perfectly to win the game, after that it's up to the players. If we dont want to challenge for headers or stop crosses, that has to rest with the players.

but does it?

I have a real fear that, that might be creeping in to the game......but it has to be all or nothing.

Players have to do as they are told or forfeit their shirt and we get players, who do do as they are told.

We concede so many headed goals, that are poorly defended, there is a question mark over the back 4 going for headers with conviction, sure I see some half hearted attempts, that tick a box, that keep the wolf from the door.

Some of the players of yesteryear like Andy Gray, Martin Laursen, Ugo.......would put them all to shame.

Until heading the ball is outlawed, they need to shape up.

ps they just let the ball hit them on the head, not attacking it on a regular basis.

Â