Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

Is Max Meyer any good? I don't think I've actually watched him play since he joined Crystal Palace. I know he doesn't get into their team, but Milivojevic, McArthur and McCarthy show me Hodgson likes a very particular type of underwhelming midfielder.

15 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Is Max Meyer any good? I don't think I've actually watched him play since he joined Crystal Palace. I know he doesn't get into their team, but Milivojevic, McArthur and McCarthy show me Hodgson likes a very particular type of underwhelming midfielder.

Just been released but was on £170k pw... 

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Him being released is why I asked! The wages I don't care about as he went there on a free as a big talent and we'd be competing with what other teams would pay him, not what he used to earn.

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Surely he will have to lower his demands though given how it went for him at palace. I'm not saying it was all his fault but he won't be signing for anyone on 170k pw. He was very good for Schalke though and there is a player in there.

Bonjour...

We've been linked before haven't we?

We need someone who can cover/compete with Luiz and McGinn. It's crucial for me. 

Player prices in France could be through the floor with their TV troubles.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Bonjour...

We've been linked before haven't we?

We need someone who can cover/compete with Luiz and McGinn. It's crucial for me. 

Player prices in France could be through the floor with their TV troubles.

Can't see that being us but if are to let Conor go, would make sense. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Can't see that being us but if are to let Conor go, would make sense. 

I was thinking that with all the Connor talk of leaving we could be in for an upgraded midfielder

I like Hourihane but his spot in the squad could easily be improved upon. 

fingers crossed it’s us in for Sanson! 

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Him being released is why I asked! The wages I don't care about as he went there on a free as a big talent and we'd be competing with what other teams would pay him, not what he used to earn.

Strange how him and draxler the wonderkids of the good schalke team both left chasing big things and it's failed for both of them, both of them are rumoured to be dicks, maybe badly advised chasing money and bright lights and falling short

A lot of blame seems to be put on Roy being stubborn and favouring older players who will stick to his system 

We could look to bring him in for around £40k a week and a place on the bench and give him an attacking license and freedom that Roy didn't and he might rediscover something 

Whether or not he likes that deal is another thing 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Is Sanson any good?! Ligue 1 is well off my radar!

Only seen him in the Champions League so no expert at all but I think he'd be an upgrade on Hourihane if he were to leave this month, definitely.

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

Forget about descriptions like understudy to Watkins, get the right player and we see how it goes.  They may make Watkins the understudy...how good would that be, that the player does well enough that Watkins is fighting for a first team spot.

Additionally we shouldn’t be buying players as understudy, we should be buying alternatives.  It’s more about a squad game and so whether we are playing Watkins or this alternative we aren’t weakening the first team.

We need alternatives for when Watkins goes through a dry spot scoring (like now), drop of form, suspensions, injuries or just tiredness......or just plainly a different tactical option during a game.

I agree but we can't give up on Wesley after Half a season and an injury. Do I think we are at a point to have 3 £20m+ strikers? Not yet. But I agree with your point

3 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Is Sanson any good?! Ligue 1 is well off my radar!

Over the last year or so I've seen loads of fans online calling for their team to sign him. How many have actually watched him play is a different matter altogether.

Based on Youtube clips alone he seems to be a decent technical player and, even if it oversells him, I reckon he'd be a massive upgrade on our current CM bench options. 

Came to post the Sanson link as just saw it on Twitter.

Can't say I know much about him other than I've seen a few clubs linked (Spurs, Arsenal and West Ham). But not seen him play myself.

Quick searches online reveal a little but massive pinch of salt considering the sources and that I've not seen him play:

Transfermarkt say he can play CM, CAM and DM. Whoscored have him as a CM or a CAM but say he has strong Defensive abilities but is poor at passing. Has averaged a rating of 6.5 in the CM role (9 games) but not going to judge a player off a mediocre few games that I didn't see.

Rated at £22m for a Ligue 1 midfielder, considering the financial challenges in that league, you'd assume he's a step up on what we have and would be good to rotate with Luiz in that roaming DM role he occupies if he gets injured and to compete with McGinn

4BE22C4A-D1CE-4D65-8738-F775DA2ECA55.jpeg

Just now, HalfTimePost said:

Came to post the Sanson link as just saw it on Twitter.

Can't say I know much about him other than I've seen a few clubs linked (Spurs, Arsenal and West Ham). But not seen him play myself.

Quick searches online reveal a little but massive pinch of salt considering the sources and that I've not seen him play:

Transfermarkt say he can play CM, CAM and DM. Whoscored have him as a CM or a CAM but say he has strong Defensive abilities but is poor at passing. Has averaged a rating of 6.5 in the CM role (9 games) but not going to judge a player off a mediocre few games that I didn't see.

Rated at £22m for a Ligue 1 midfielder, considering the financial challenges in that league, you'd assume he's a step up on what we have and would be good to rotate with Luiz in that roaming DM role he occupies if he gets injured and to compete with McGinn

4BE22C4A-D1CE-4D65-8738-F775DA2ECA55.jpeg

Passing - weak......key passes - strong...........🤔

• Haha 1