Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

25 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

What happened with Olise?

Nothing yet, will all depend on that Release Clause you'd imagine (if we are indeed in for him, it came from The Mirror). If it's a release clause of £8.5m like some believe then we'd be mad not to before somebody else does either in Jan or the Summer.

If that clause doesn't exist then he'll cost quite a bit more than that and I can imagine we'll hold off. We are making a revenue loss this year anyway - £20m according to Purslow - and have Barkley, Ramsey and Grealish who can play the same position. So could understand if we didn't make a move.

If that clause doesn't exist, a CM (either DM or Box to Box) to compete with SJM and Luiz. Or a Striker would be more important to the second half of the season than another CAM i think

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

If that release clause is real I can't believe someone hasn't bought him. So I don't think it is. Remember most papers were going with Watkins unquestionably having a £18m clause last summer until Brentford said nah.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

Nothing yet, will all depend on that Release Clause you'd imagine (if we are indeed in for him, it came from The Mirror). If it's a release clause of £8.5m like some believe then we'd be mad not to before somebody else does either in Jan or the Summer.

If that clause doesn't exist then he'll cost quite a bit more than that and I can imagine we'll hold off. We are making a revenue loss this year anyway - £20m according to Purslow - and have Barkley, Ramsey and Grealish who can play the same position. So could understand if we didn't make a move.

If that clause doesn't exist, a CM (either DM or Box to Box) to compete with SJM and Luiz. Or a Striker would be more important to the second half of the season than another CAM i think

Thanks.

For me it’s about quality now. I think we should look at these gems to build the squad rather than buying the players for the sake of it. A striker would cost us atleast 20m and with no guarantee he’ll be better then Watkins. Add to that the fact that we’ve already invested in Watkins. We’ll end up looking to get someone again. A good player won’t want to come and play in the bench. Especially lone strikers. 
It’s basically buying to improve with a future view. We’re not in a big need for Olise or Brooks at the moment. But eventually we’ll need to replace El Ghazi and Trez. It’s about the right time to get players. 
You basically need better than what you have or get young players and rotate them. Other than that I won’t do anything. 
We’ve found Cash and bought him while we seemed to need a LB rather a RB. That’s how we can build a good squad. We shall be too careful when it comes to strikers, they’re expensive and most don’t make it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

If that release clause is real I can't believe someone hasn't bought him. So I don't think it is. Remember most papers were going with Watkins unquestionably having a £18m clause last summer until Brentford said nah.

His contract is ending next summer apparently. That’s possibly the reason of the mentioned price.

49 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Thanks.

For me it’s about quality now. I think we should look at these gems to build the squad rather than buying the players for the sake of it. A striker would cost us atleast 20m and with no guarantee he’ll be better then Watkins. Add to that the fact that we’ve already invested in Watkins. We’ll end up looking to get someone again. A good player won’t want to come and play in the bench. Especially lone strikers. 
It’s basically buying to improve with a future view. We’re not in a big need for Olise or Brooks at the moment. But eventually we’ll need to replace El Ghazi and Trez. It’s about the right time to get players. 
You basically need better than what you have or get young players and rotate them. Other than that I won’t do anything. 
We’ve found Cash and bought him while we seemed to need a LB rather a RB. That’s how we can build a good squad. We shall be too careful when it comes to strikers, they’re expensive and most don’t make it.

Yeah I agree, for a striker I'd like an older player on Loan or for a year more than anything as we do need a body in there for the short term... But I agree with you it should be the right player at the right time (at the right cost). Or somebody who can build for the future  Again, a very different level of player but thinking about the kind of deals done by United for Cavani, Ibra etc. 

Unless a real gem is available that will be effectively a better Davis - someone happy to come off the bench and understudy Watkins ... But crucially somebody who has goals in them and one for the future. Ideally more successful than him, but Iheanacho comes to mind when he signed for Leicester. 

If it wasn't for the extortionate sum of money he cost, Brewster would've been a great shout before he went to the Blades.

its so easy, to just look at stats when choosing a striker,but IMO they need more scouting than most others.

Its HOW they score and how regular, is key to a top striker, among many other things of course.

These players need to be finely scrutinised by good scouts.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Forget about descriptions like understudy to Watkins, get the right player and we see how it goes.  They may make Watkins the understudy...how good would that be, that the player does well enough that Watkins is fighting for a first team spot.

Additionally we shouldn’t be buying players as understudy, we should be buying alternatives.  It’s more about a squad game and so whether we are playing Watkins or this alternative we aren’t weakening the first team.

We need alternatives for when Watkins goes through a dry spot scoring (like now), drop of form, suspensions, injuries or just tiredness......or just plainly a different tactical option during a game.

Precisely.

Team strengthening is exactly how you describe it.....cream rises to the top.....thats how it has to be, players have to fight for their shirt.

thats how the top teams do it....marginal sentimentality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Precisely.

Team strengthening is exactly how you describe it.....cream rises to the top.....thats how it has to be, players have to fight for their shirt.

thats how the top teams do it....marginal sentimentality.

Agree totally with this, must buy better than what we have, then that keeps those players we have already wanting to do better and out those newly acquired better players.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Mmm sorry i cant agree with some of this. He got a move to a bigger club while Spurs were being cheap with wages compared to others. He made a bad transfer decision thats it

I dont think anybody except this thread has ever questioned his attitude

It does seem on here a few get intimidated whenever we get linked to a top level player for some reason.

I remember this time last year when Giroud was being tentatively linked and people were coming out with same old rubbish about his apparent bad attitude even though in intercviews Lampard and everyone else at Chelsea says what a top class pro he is in the dressing room and training ground.

Now you could make a case is Eriksen needed given we have Jack and Barkley for that range of pitch but wasn't so long ago he was one of best playmakers in the league at Spurs and he can play a bit deeper in midfield given they would pretty much always start him and Ali in the same team behind Son and Kane.

Inter move hasn't worked out, more so to Conte trying to fit him in 3-5-2 but you'd think a team looking to break into top 6 in near future wouldn't turn their noses up if it was a realistic transfer, bit of a bizarre approach to me.

He's a better player than Barkley imo and we've seen the difference Ross has made in some of his games imo and there were plenty of people not wanting him either for some reason.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

I wonder how it works with the confidentially of the release clauses, I guess English contractual law is applicable and don't now much about that. Obviously the club and the player and the agent knows and have the right to know if there is a release clause. But can they be obliged not to reveal that contract detail? I don't know if contracts need to be registered somewhere, with the PL or UEFA for example, haven't some posters on here worked at places where they see the contracts? Perhaps they can also be obliged not to reveal the details. Other contract details like the wage I guess can become public for tax purposes, also the length of the contract I guess is public information.

Regardless of the fact if there is an obligation not to reveal or not, the knowledge of an release clause is highly valuable. I can not for one second beleive that an agent who is trying to negotioate a move to another club and who knows about a favourable release clause wouldn't in some way or another let the buying club know that the player is available for that amount. And if other clubs so easily can know about the release clause, you can question what point it has with keeping it secret. In the Spanish league for example I get the impression that there usually is a buy out clause in the contracts that are public.

Or to be brief - anyone know how it works? 🙂  

5 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I wonder how it works with the confidentially of the release clauses, I guess English contractual law is applicable and don't now much about that. Obviously the club and the player and the agent knows and have the right to know if there is a release clause. But can they be obliged not to reveal that contract detail? I don't know if contracts need to be registered somewhere, with the PL or UEFA for example, haven't some posters on here worked at places where they see the contracts? Perhaps they can also be obliged not to reveal the details. Other contract details like the wage I guess can become public for tax purposes, also the length of the contract I guess is public information.

Regardless of the fact if there is an obligation not to reveal or not, the knowledge of an release clause is highly valuable. I can not for one second beleive that an agent who is trying to negotioate a move to another club and who knows about a favourable release clause wouldn't in some way or another let the buying club know that the player is available for that amount. And if other clubs so easily can know about the release clause, you can question what point it has with keeping it secret. In the Spanish league for example I get the impression that there usually is a buy out clause in the contracts that are public.

Or to be brief - anyone know how it works? 🙂  

Clubs always speak to agents before clubs to see if the player might be interested, the agent tells the club if there is a release clause.

OBS not the right thread but just realised Derby are about to be taken over by Man City owners cousin ( The Founder of Bin Zayed Group ), so another stinking rich club in England.

Thing is, they are all pulling from the same source of wealth, basically owning more than one club in the country, is that all legal?

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

OBS not the right thread but just realised Derby are about to be taken over by Man City owners cousin ( The Founder of Bin Zayed Group ), so another stinking rich club in England.

Thing is, they are all pulling from the same source of wealth, basically owning more than one club in the country, is that all legal?

They've been "about to be taken over" by them for quite a few months now and are apparently on the brink of administration. They haven't managed to get out of the relegation zone in that time, which wouldn't fill me with confidence as an investor planning to take over a club and get them to the PL. By the time they sort their squad out the Championship will probably have some sort of wage cap. I don't see it happening.

47 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As he’s a cousin, I don’t think it would be an issue. I’m not sure if even two brother bought different clubs under two separate organizations would be an issue itself. Possibly the relation can be investigated but that’s it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Yeah I agree, for a striker I'd like an older player on Loan or for a year more than anything as we do need a body in there for the short term... But I agree with you it should be the right player at the right time (at the right cost). Or somebody who can build for the future  Again, a very different level of player but thinking about the kind of deals done by United for Cavani, Ibra etc. 

Unless a real gem is available that will be effectively a better Davis - someone happy to come off the bench and understudy Watkins ... But crucially somebody who has goals in them and one for the future. Ideally more successful than him, but Iheanacho comes to mind when he signed for Leicester. 

If it wasn't for the extortionate sum of money he cost, Brewster would've been a great shout before he went to the Blades.

Agree on that. It’s time to find quality and additions to the squad. If there were short term solutions I won’t be against it such as Barkley. But most quality players will come to start.