Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

On 27/12/2020 at 05:02, sne said:

While Saka might be unrealistic maybe we can raid Arsenal for Folarin Balogun who is out of contract in the summer. 19 y.o American/English kid who can play the front 3 and has played in the Europa League and scored this season and is bossing it for their U23 side. 

Apparently Liverpool are interested but surely Villa is the place to be.

Should add I've only seen him play once and that was for maybe 20 mins in the Europa League :D 

He's a talent. I've been keeping an eye on his situation, thinking he might be just the kind of player we could benefit from (and also because I'm hoping he declares for the U.S.), but it sounds like he's being linked pretty strongly to RB Leipzig.

22 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Brighton on verge of signing Moises Caciedo who's already a full Ecuador international.

I wonder if that's a market we'll start to look to in next few years, talented under 20 South American player as it's supposed to be easier to sign them now with work permits.

A good shout, I had been thinking that as well. He's a young box to box midfield player, who was previously linked to Manchester United and Liverpool, at a higher fee. Potentially, a smart bit of work by Brighton at £5m, according to Talksport's South American correspondent, Tim Vickery.  Might well have been worth a cheeky bid and a place on our bench.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, John said:

A good shout, I had been thinking that as well. He's a young box to box midfield player, who was previously linked to Manchester United and Liverpool, at a higher fee. Potentially, a smart bit of work by Brighton at £5m, according to Talksport's South American correspondent, Tim Vickery.  Might well have been worth a cheeky bid and a place on our bench.  

Might have refused a work permit because it wouldn’t have been a top fee of ours and unlikely to get sufficient game time whereas he might be ok in both categories at Brighton.  This is just a guess based on history though, and I might easily be wrong.

• Like 1

Though I don't think he could make the vast, vast step up to ourselves, as one rarely gets to espouse the virtues of VVV-Venlo players I would like to draw some attention to Giorgos Giakoumakis who is on an absolute tear in his maiden Eredivisie campaign; 16 goals in 16 games (4 last night, 3 on his debut and a healthy spread across the rest of the games).  Could be one of those perfect storm scenarios, I don't think he's ever put up those kind of numbers previously and yeah, it's the Eredivisie, but typically speaking VVV are consistent relegation battlers so he's doing the business whilst surrounded by the league's lesser players.  Won his international debut off the back of this form (which he scored in, albeit it against shite opponents).  Bought for peanuts and as the VVV model is to generally sell for whatever they can get (largest ever sale being the circa £6m they got for Keisuke Honda some years back) when they've got a decent player on their hands, he likely won't be sticking around long.  Again it's likely too big a step up for the likes of us and could all be a one-season thing (he's 26 so he's not some fresh wunderkind) but his next employers will absolutely be higher up the footballing ladder and might find themselves with a bit of a bargain (and were we still mired in the Championship, I'd be wholeheartedly advocating for him).

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Might have refused a work permit because it wouldn’t have been a top fee of ours and unlikely to get sufficient game time whereas he might be ok in both categories at Brighton.  This is just a guess based on history though, and I might easily be wrong.

Don’t think Brighton would have any easier ride with work permit than ourselves. They spent £20m apiece on Webster and Maupay, £18m on Trossard,  £15m on Bissouma. 

23 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Don’t think Brighton would have any easier ride with work permit than ourselves. They spent £20m apiece on Webster and Maupay, £18m on Trossard,  £15m on Bissouma. 

Fair point considering the above purchases.  Quite hard to get in young foreign but yet to established youngsters in these days as Man City found out with Douglas Luiz, to our benefit.  Yes they can send out to feeder clubs but to keep them in your squad and initially get that visa seems quite hard.  To be fair I dont know the rules well enough to get around it.

Edited by nick76

12 minutes ago, deeps said:

Gregg Evans saying we’re going to be quiet this window. 

Thought I’d share as he’s ‘always on the money’*

*sarcasm 

He did say we might be after an attacker if the money is right, so he’s covering a couple of bases with his statement as usual.

• Like 2

i do wonder if we need to sign someone, we have 5 games in 14 days coming up soon, with the COVID cancellations we will likely have a few more of these "X games in a short period of time", even i very good player would add some depth and competition, and more than ever some competition and squad depth might well make a big impact come the end of the season.....dunno.

would really like someone who can play across the front 3 three, or even a central midfielder/DM, allowing us to move mcginn forward if needed, without weakening the team.

Edited by MaVilla

9 hours ago, nick76 said:

Fees don't have anything to do with work permits any more.

• Thanks 1

I don't think there's any one position we are desperately needing to strengthen.  Sure we could do with another striker to take the pressure off Ollie but this is the first window in a long time where I would not be disappointed if we sign no one.

If, however, and that's a big if, we decide to sell or loan any of the players currently in the match day squad (Hourihane, Taylor..etc..) then we should be replacing them.

• Like 1

Offer Celtic £££  plus there choice of Lansbury & Hourihane, or Heaton or Steer, Engels for Edouard. Lets not be in a position if Watkins gets injured as having a winger as only forward. It’s not worth the risk relying on him staying fit. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, thabucks said:

Offer Celtic £££  plus there choice of Lansbury & Hourihane, or Heaton or Steer, Engels for Edouard. Lets not be in a position if Watkins gets injured as having a winger as only forward. It’s not worth the risk relying on him staying fit. 

Yea I just read something similar on Birmingham Live, apparently they want 25m for him now with 18 months left on his deal and they are looking for a midfielder......

One person commented offer them 20m plus Conor and let them have Davis on loan..... I think that would be a good deal for both sides assuming their asking price is as quoted.

Conor would rip up the SPL.

• Like 4