Ross Barkley

LondonLax

9 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

There was a moment in the 2nd half when he received the ball on the half way line, and he turned, against Neves, not the quickest, his 1st touch was good, but he couldn't get away from him. He has lost that acceleration that the best players have, Jack has it, he is 27 now, it is not going to come back. 

He was always one of my non-Villa players, but i'm afraid i don't think he is ever going to be as good as he could/should of been

Gareth Barry never had it, maybe Barkley needs to sit deeper and let McGinn be the more forward player. 

7 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Gareth Barry never had it, maybe Barkley needs to sit deeper and let McGinn be the more forward player. 

McGinn isn't good enough on the ball to do that - maybe Sanson can. 

2 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

So does Elmo comapred with Cash but nobody says get him out of this club and never play him again. El Ghazi for Grealish the same (although I've seen him get plenty of abuse). He strengthened us at the start of the season, and right now he's out of form and also IMO weakening the team whenever he plays but this send him back to Chelsea just baffles me. He looks unfit since the injury and covid break, there is no doubt about that but it's up to himself and the coaching staff to get him firing again.

I think that he was brought in as the opportunity presented itself to improve on Hourihane and we had decided against Sanson due to the price quoted in the summer. It was a decent loan actually for all concerned. We got an upgrade in that position and Barkley got a chance to prove himself. He did that to an extent before the injury and now he is out of form and not playing well - IMO it's 90% mental with him at the moment because he doesn't trust his body to hold up. Maybe he comes back in to form, he helps us up the table and we get a couple extra million prize money or sneak into Europe, maybe he doesn't, but cancelling the loan (if even contractually possible) is not the way to go IMO. You wait it out and see if he improves and see can you use him further. If he doesn't then he goes back to Chelsea at the end of the season. Imagine he was our own player and performing so poorly and we couldn't get rid of him so easy at the end of the season. That would be a much worse situation.

Barkley weakens us compared to 10 men though. 

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Exactly. N'zogbia had an attitude problem, barkley is supposed to be extremely professional and if anything wants to be a success too much. 

I never saw N’Zogbia get subbed off and make as much of a **** scene about it as this prat does. Taking his boots off, sitting on the hoarding, booting bottles around. The guy is a word removed. N’Zogbia provided more to a far inferior side. 

The excuses made for this sack of shit are unbelievable.

1 hour ago, MrSmirch said:

I never saw N’Zogbia get subbed off and make as much of a **** scene about it as this prat does. Taking his boots off, sitting on the hoarding, booting bottles around. The guy is a word removed. N’Zogbia provided more to a far inferior side. 

N'zogbia didn't throw a strop because he couldn't care less about being subbed, or aston villa or playing football. At least Barkley wants to do well and the blame he gets for being frustrated is bizarre IMO. 

Finally as an aside N'Zogbia provided nothing to us IMO except costing us alot of money. 

Edited by villa89

8 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Why do we even talk about Barkley anymore? Surely no one thinks he should be playing, no one thinks we should buy him at this point?

Theres posters here who genuinely think he's brilliant. Same smart cookies who swore by steve bruce.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, villa89 said:

N'zogbia didn't throw a strop because he couldn't care less about being subbed, or aston villa or playing football. At least Barkley wants to do well and the blame he gets for being frustrated is bizarre IMO. 

Finally as an aside N'Zogbia provided nothing to us IMO except costing us alot of money. 

No he doesn’t its a pantomime.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, MrSmirch said:

Theres posters here who genuinely think he's brilliant. Same smart cookies who swore by steve bruce.

Can they out themselves so I can discount their posts when I see them pop up as they clearly have no clue about football, it's not even debateable.

5 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

He doesn't bring more out of watkins though. Watkins has got as many chances to score goals in the games barkley has missed as the games barkley has played. Watkins has just been unlucky with his shots for whatever reason when barkley is out or the team. It is just a coincidence. 

Also if we need a goal barkley offers nothing. I would rather play a youth player and see what they can offer. Otherwise El Ghazi and Sanson all the way. 

I guess we see things differently, El Gazi typically a wide player and ive not really seen Sanson at 10.  Ive seen enough of Ramsey to know thats hes one for the future but unlikely to trouble a goal keeper. I saw enough of Barkley early on to know that if we can get him firing he can score and create, just need to get him back to being that player.

34 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I guess we see things differently, El Gazi typically a wide player and ive not really seen Sanson at 10.  Ive seen enough of Ramsey to know thats hes one for the future but unlikely to trouble a goal keeper. I saw enough of Barkley early on to know that if we can get him firing he can score and create, just need to get him back to being that player.

Grealish is 1000 times a better CAM than barkley. And in my opinion is better as a CAM anyway. 

And El Ghazi provides more value as a winger than Barkley does as a CAM. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, MrSmirch said:

No he doesn’t its a pantomime.

If he actually cared he'd try on the pitch. Since he doesn't there is no way to look at it other than he is faking. 

Also I know I'm agreeing with you. 

Can we stop making excuses for a player who isn't even ours. A player who doesn't try and who has been without a doubt our worst player this season. And will probably go down as our worst player this decade. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

An £11 million loan?! 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/10/01/report-west-ham-couldnt-pay-11m-deal-for-ross-barkley-hes-now-joined-aston-villa/%3famp

I don’t know how reliable the above source is, but it says £11m package.  That does include wages though.

Joined sept 30, will leave 31st June? 9 months.

assuming his wages are £100k a week, 9x4x100k gives you approx £3.6m in wages

so the loan fee falls around £7m?

With no resale value, if he plays no more games he will have cost us £687,500 per match.  (Or £2.75m per goal/assist)

if he starts every remaining game he will have cost us just shy of £400k per match.

All this is of course assuming that that report isn’t total BS.

1 hour ago, Thug said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/10/01/report-west-ham-couldnt-pay-11m-deal-for-ross-barkley-hes-now-joined-aston-villa/%3famp

I don’t know how reliable the above source is, but it says £11m package.  That does include wages though.

Joined sept 30, will leave 31st June? 9 months.

assuming his wages are £100k a week, 9x4x100k gives you approx £3.6m in wages

so the loan fee falls around £7m?

With no resale value, if he plays no more games he will have cost us £687,500 per match.  (Or £2.75m per goal/assist)

if he starts every remaining game he will have cost us just shy of £400k per match.

All this is of course assuming that that report isn’t total BS.

3-4M in wages and 6-7M in loan fee doesn't seem too far fetched to me. Remember getting Barkley was regarded as an absolut coup at the time. Had he continued in the form he had before his injury and not gotten injured it would have been worth it.

Still have hope that he can contribute and win us games in the last part of the season, but my hope is fading...

• Like 2

I think he is playing it safe.

Not seen him properly sprint since before his injury.

Trying to avoid another injury for a potential move in the summer.

Said it before. This guy is playing for himself, not the team. He never joined because of the team, he joined because he wanted to play with his mate Jack Grealish.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I've seen nothing from him to prove otherwise.

He ran half the length of the field against Leicester and buried in the bottom corner. That's just one instance. The Arsenal game at the Emirates. The Liverpool game. I would suggest that would be evidence of him not being totally shite.

I'm not saying he is the best player we've got. I've even mentioned he probably shouldn't be starting at the moment. I just don't really get the he's totally shite comments. To say that is just nonsense. Similarly, the send him back to Chelsea comments.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

He ran half the length of the field against Leicester and buried in the bottom corner. That's just one instance. The Arsenal game at the Emirates. The Liverpool game. I would suggest that would be evidence of him not being totally shite.

I'm not saying he is the best player we've got. I've even mentioned he probably shouldn't be starting at the moment. I just don't really get the he's totally shite comments. To say that is just nonsense. Similarly, the send him back to Chelsea comments.

It's one of those where we will agree to disagree.

• Like 1

Â