Ross Barkley

LondonLax

His body simply cant do what it used to, however much he tries

A few mins after he came on he had the ball facing our half, tried to dip the shoulder, spin and drive forwards into the wolves half

He got about 2 yards until the wolves player easily got back round, robbed the ball and set off into our half with barkley treading water behind

His first step and initial burst of acceleration is gone. All those hamstring injuries...

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Thug said:

Not his ‘fault’ for the second half display, as we were pretty poor before he came on.

However, he did nothing when he did, other than almost gift them a goal.

One thing for sure, he’s not worth the fee or the wages that have been suggested.

Failed experiment, was worth a go, he’s worth a late gamble in games because despite everything else, he’s got a shot in his locker that no one else has.  Didn’t see any other sub that was worth a punt.

For me, his villa fate was decided about 10 games ago.  If we’re paying for him to be here, then we may as well make use of him here and there.

He hasn't had a decent shot on goal for months.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Ha, someone else picked me up on this the other day. I’ll put my hands up and admit I got it wrong. I genuinely thought he’d be a massive improvement and early on, the signs were there that he might. 

But let’s be honest, it’s been a dismal loan spell and I’m struggling to see where he as a player goes from here. He just looks lost and tired when he’s playing. 

Look mate we can all be cynical with the benefit of hindsight. I thought he was a great signing too. He probably wouldn't get called out on his lack of effort and quality say if he was in the relegation season a few years back because you wouldn't know where to start but guys like Watkins, Konsa, Mings and Targett even are setting a really consistent level when it comes to desire, work, and quality that Barkley just doesn't look like he belongs here. His effort and the effort of our 4 to 5 top guys - just not aligned.

• Like 1

Don't want to seem to be giving him too much rope but I really do think a lot of the issues with him are physical/fitness ones. He just looks totally slow and cumbersome in his movement, in a way he didn't even look initially for us. There was a point tonight where one of Moutinho or Neves fell on their arse in front of him,  he advanced with the ball and was immediately caught up to by Moutinho/Neves, I know there's things he can be criticised for re: work rate but that kind of stuff isn't and suggests to me that there's more up with him. He's never exactly been the most tireless worker going but he used to be able to make up for it more than he seems able to at the moment. It's disappointing but at least if it persists it's not our problem beyond this season.

5 minutes ago, andym said:

A few mins after he came on he had the ball facing our half, tried to dip the shoulder, spin and drive forwards into the wolves half

He got about 2 yards until the wolves player easily got back round, robbed the ball and set off into our half with barkley treading water behind

His first step and initial burst of acceleration is gone. All those hamstring injuries...

It's obvious he's still suffering. As you said, no burst at all. Wouldn't be surprised if he had an operation after the season was over. The injury doesn't look like it's going to heal on its own. 

12 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I'd still like Wakins as our striker. It's wide left we have to be scouting for now. We have to work on the assumption Grealish will be off, even if he might not be.

Watkins plays like a left winger. Id rather have ollie there with tammy/wesley up top

44 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate it's when we are " up against it ", he is supposed to be able to switch the balance by doing what he is renowned for.

Grabbing the ball, driving forward and unsettling the other team.

I see no evidence of him threatening to do anything of the sort these days.

Don't get me wrong J-V he is failing miserably right now and hasn't got anywhere near what we thought we'd bought in to, would he have got there without the injury set back, who knows. 

That last half hour today was a missed opportunity for him again but I feel it was a bridge too far against that wolves form for his level in the last few appearances. I think we need to see if the required impact will come in an easier spot, if we are controlling a game like we should vs Newcastle, use it as a confidence builder and hopefully build from there. He hasn't got many games left to make his mark though.

At one stage it's like 35/40m, another its wouldn't take him on a free. Seemed a good spot but its looking like poor value now and at this moment in time I doubt very much he will be coming here in the summer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

He was taking a lot of set pieces early on so this might have added to it

He does have a high shot created from dead ball passes per 90, but its not really that big of an effect. If you removed deadballs altogether for everyone on that list the ranking currently would be

1-Jack Grealish-5.55

2- Kevin de Bruyne-5.1

3-Callum Hudson Odoi-4.81

4- Hakim Ziyech-4.68

5- Bruno Fernandes-4.38

6-James Maddison-3.43

7-Ross Barkley-3.39

7-Raphinha-3.39

9-Mason Mount-3.25

10-Pascal Gros-2.78

So he only drops down one position. 

Edit: Actually, nvm he wouldn't change position at all.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

Was brought on to change the game in a positive way for us, did the opposite. I dont think he's fully fit. 

No excuse for that. If he’s not fit now, he never will be. 

I said it before but the game seems too quick for him. The press, the limited time on the ball. He just doesn’t seem quick enough to deal with it. 

50 minutes ago, andym said:

This. I don't think it's attitude or laziness. He's physically not the same player we had in those early games. His ability to drive with the ball was a major strength, now he's got nothing in the tank. 

Is he fit? I think we need to make up minds up at the end of the season. He has been poor since January no doubt but his first few months he was excellent. If he can get back to that standard I would still think of buying him. If he continues to play like this no thanks.

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Is he fit? I think we need to make up minds up at the end of the season. He has been poor since January no doubt but his first few months he was excellent. If he can get back to that standard I would still think of buying him. If he continues to play like this no thanks.

Problem is, he is 27, on massive wages and would command a large fee. Add to that the fact that he would have no sell on value, he is injury prone and his form has always been erratic. It’s a no from me.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

He is not for us. Move on

I've said this before, could it be that, he simply doesn't suit us?

Might work for him at a different type of team and culture.

I think to rebuild his career and reputation, he should slog it out with a lesser team for even a season.

Newly promoted, or recently promoted team which managed to stay up?

Would his ego allow him to to this though? Seems to need to be somewhere where he feels like and is treated as top dog.

Watched a piece with Deano yesterday saying he would take a team of good characters who fight for each other over pure talent any day.

I just don't think Ross fits this mold.

Still got 12 games to go though.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Martinez weren't really unwanted though.

Both fans and Arteta rated him and they were sad to see him go.

You didn't say whether they rated him or not you said unwanted. Arsenal rated Leno and considered Martinez surplus to requirements. 

Funny how you don't even mention Mings who was definitely unwanted and not even rated by Bournemouth. That 25 million is a bargain now for the English international. 

Â