Ross Barkley

LondonLax

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Agree, I also think that he's shown that we do need someone of his ilk in that position, someone to play off Jack to use the space that Jack creates, to play closer to Ollie, the idea of Barkley is a good one 

If jack stays out on the left then we need someone who plays like Barkley

We just need someone of better more consistent quality, a £30m+ proven quality player from a CL team as our star signing of the summer, proper exciting known signing 

Or we play jack cam and sign a world class winger which are a dime a dozen

4 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

Here's a thought.... now I'm not a fan, but I wonder if with two or three better forward players around him he'd be a better player.

There'd be less onus on him to deliver, he'd just be a cog in the machine.

So, if we were to sign a few in the summer a notch or three above El Ghazi would we then see a better Barkley?

Barkley is worse than el ghazi so why would that do anything lol? 

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Is he fit? I think we need to make up minds up at the end of the season. He has been poor since January no doubt but his first few months he was excellent. If he can get back to that standard I would still think of buying him. If he continues to play like this no thanks.

Was terrible in 2 out of his first 6 games. Show of what was to come. 

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've said this before, could it be that, he simply doesn't suit us?

Might work for him at a different type of team and culture.

I think to rebuild his career and reputation, he should slog it out with a lesser team for even a season.

Newly promoted, or recently promoted team which managed to stay up?

Would his ego allow him to to this though? Seems to need to be somewhere where he feels like and is treated as top dog.

Watched a piece with Deano yesterday saying he would take a team of good characters who fight for each other over pure talent any day.

I just don't think Ross fits this mold.

Still got 12 games to go though.

If we are debating that we can't afford his wages in year 3 of being back in the prem, there is no way that  a newly promoted side would.

If we don't go for him it will probably be another loan for Ross, perhaps abroad. Might well be added to a long list of young english players who don't quite fulfill the early expectation/hype. Like Jack Wiltshire.

Edited by The Fun Factory

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They are? 

Ones that can impact the game at a very high level? Yes. 

Easily the position with the most good players. Hell City and bayern each have 3.

If we can swing it one of oyarzabal (he might be close to 100 mil though), Jonathan Bamba, Neres (although he isn't fully fit), Diaby (Bailey could also be a shout if he actually cares about football), Ocampos, Depay, Thuram, Carrasco, Lozano etc. We'd be laughing most of those would go for 40-60 mil

Just to continue the list with lower value players but good players none the less: Berardi, Ikone, Chukwueze, Szoboszlai (although he may be more in the model of jack than a true winger), Cucurella, Ousmane Dembele (?), Thauvin (would be an excellent signing think he is out of contract in the summer), Neto, Bergwijn etc. 

Edited by MotoMkali

Barkleys cameo was a microcosm of our second half:

• His only forward run with the ball resulted in a simple turnover
  • His most meaningful touch was almost an assist for Wolves
  • His passing only looked certain when he played it backwards.

Thought Ramsey looked better in the few minutes he had.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Barkleys cameo was a microcosm of our second half:

• His only forward run with the ball resulted in a simple turnover
  • His most meaningful touch was almost an assist for Wolves
  • His passing only looked certain when he played it backwards.

Thought Ramsey looked better in the few minutes he had.

As was for my eyes too. I am most disappointed with his lack of energy and work-rate. He seems nowhere near winning a duel, if you compare to Sanson (pre-knock) and Ramsey. For certain, the balance of McGinn, Luiz and Barkley does not work. Really frustrating that Smith seems to persist with this. Although, he is now not trying it in a starting line-up. I would not be adverse to Barkley been returned to Chelsea, much is my distain of his performances at the moment. Was hoping it was injury or fitness but surely the 'training-minutes' trope can well and truly be dismissed now? Although Smith was trotting it out last night. 

He looks totally devoid of confidence but that aside I just don’t think he suits the team.

We’re a very organised and hard working team  without the ball,  If you have just one player that isn’t switched on 100% we’ll get punished.  That’s what seems to be happening with Barkley.   You could perhaps tolerate it if he was offering something in an attacking sense, but that doesn’t seem to be happening either.   It’s a shame because the signing had so much promise.  Thankfully it was just a loan rather than a permanent deal.

Said a few weeks back and I think its fairly evident even more so, Barkleys issues are upstairs rather than downstairs.

He now knows he's got zero chance of making the Euros, As that reality sinks in the further he will sink and that's whats happening in front of us. 

3 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Said a few weeks back and I think its fairly evident even more so, Barkleys issues are upstairs rather than downstairs.

He now knows he's got zero chance of making the Euros, As that reality sinks in the further he will sink and that's whats happening in front of us. 

That combined with him being afraid to get injured as he needs a transfer away from Chelsea this summer as he has no future there. It's a balancing act as he won't get the move he want's if he sucks but he's also won't get it if he's injured again.

Currently he's choosing the play it safe option which is making him useless for us.

Started off with so much promise. Then came that Arsenal performance and I thought finally Ross Barkley has found his potential. The injury against Brighton was just bizarre.

Just a shame that it hasn't clicked since he's come back from injury. 

Maybe he needs to lose some muscle as he has huge shoulders.

I think the reason he's never fulfilled his potential is a combination of lack of belief in his own ability and not identifying his role in a team. 

Is it true he likes a drink? If this is then the lad needs a helping hand to get him off it. If it's true that is?

10 minutes ago, sne said:

That combined with him being afraid to get injured as he needs a transfer away from Chelsea this summer as he has no future there. It's a balancing act as he won't get the move he want's if he sucks but he's also won't get it if he's injured again.

Currently he's choosing the play it safe option which is making him useless for us.

Absolutely, On the plus side for him, He's probably devaluing at around £1m a performance so his price tag for any perspective buyers will be around £20/25m rather than the £40m banned around at the beginning of the season. Think this has Jack Wilshere V2 allover it. 

• Like 1

Why are people obsessed with sending him back to Chelsea? He's on loan for the season. He's played well in some games and been disappointing recently after a lenghty layoff through injury. He might rediscover some form and help us out later in the season. But sending him back to Chelsea is one of the dumbest suggestions I've heard. We do that and we're a player less in the squad and are not allowed to register a replacement.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Why are people obsessed with sending him back to Chelsea? He's on loan for the season. He's played well in some games and been disappointing recently after a lenghty layoff through injury. He might rediscover some form and help us out later in the season. But sending him back to Chelsea is one of the dumbest suggestions I've heard. We do that and we're a player less in the squad and are not allowed to register a replacement.

not to mention that contractually we probably aren't even allowed to teminate the loan even if we wanted to. did drinkwater's loan even get cancelled after he headbutted his own player?

40 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

not to mention that contractually we probably aren't even allowed to teminate the loan even if we wanted to. did drinkwater's loan even get cancelled after he headbutted his own player?

I thought that we are contractually obliged to play him, no?;)

Edited by sparrow1988

Â