Ross Barkley

LondonLax

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Didn't he start the first 3 games after he arrived? You could also point to Luiz, who is effectively only here on loan if Man City decide he is. With a nice chunk of change for developing him coming our way, at least.

I understand your point, but personally I would rather see the slightly less dogmatic approach they're now taking over loan signings as a positive.

oh dammit, just as i was feeling super happy....

Just imagine if Barkley's loan ends and we dont buy him, then Man City come in at buy Luiz back at the end of the season............

our beautiful midfield :(

will be fine tho, we will just go out and buy 2 ballers ;)

22 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Are we still the last club to field an all British team in the PL? 

A few coincidental injuries or suspensions and we might be the next club to do that as well. 

All English I believe. Boro did it with one Scotsman iirc albeit one who could have declared for England

6 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I can't remember exactly but wasn't the Purslow issue with making loan signings was in signing young players and helping to develop them for other clubs who then take them back and start using them in their first teams as was the case with Axel and Tammy.

That isn't the case with Ross Barkley. He is the finished article. 27 years old in a couple of months,  280 appearances, 33 senior England caps. Chelsea know what he is capable of. He isn't going to surprise them or anyone else.

I think he has a good season for us, and we as a club have a good season and then have the aspiration to kick on again next season, then I see no reason why Ross Barkley wouldn't want to stick around and why we couldn't pay Chelsea what they would want for him. I'll start to worry about that in 6 or 7 months time though.

I agree it was more in reference to younger players. I’m personally over the moon we have loaned a player of Barkley’s calibre. Couldn’t care less if there is no option to buy or about what Purslow said a year ago. I don’t get why some fans get so hung up about it.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Tremendous signing!

On another note, just watched his interview and he’s wearing a home shirt without the stripes on? 

Edited by jim

1 hour ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Lampard clearly thinks so. They have Jorginho, Mount, Havertz, Ziyech, Kovacic, Loftus-Cheek and Kante.

And we’re worrying about whether we should sign a 3rd top class winger... 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Well, he's here.  i hope he lives up to what I think was overhyped.  I guess we'll find out together.

2nd best % in Chelsea team last season for passing in final 3rd 90% and played over 1000 minutes. That's better than any of our squad last season

Hard to see any downside with this signing, unless he starts nutting people on the training ground.

I hope he enjoys playing under Deano. A lot of people will think of the Drinkwater car crash, but I think Barkley could end up as more of a Mings figure - someone who finally hits their obvious potential on a consistent basis thanks to Smith’s coaching.

• Like 1

Just now, KentVillan said:

Hard to see any downside with this signing, unless he starts nutting people on the training ground.

I hope he enjoys playing under Deano. A lot of people will think of the Drinkwater car crash, but I think Barkley could end up as more of a Mings figure - someone who finally hits their obvious potential on a consistent basis thanks to Smith’s coaching.

There’s barely any grounds for comparison with the drinkwater transfer beyond the fact they’re midfielders from the same club.

I don’t think anyone is worried about this turning into that situation, it might not work out as well as we all hope but there’s zero chance it’ll be that bad, in my opinion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So Purslow said we didn’t want to loan players then a year later we have loaned a player.   He probably shouldn’t have said that. But why do you care so much? 

I want leadership from those who are running the club and I want them to say what they mean. I don’t want to see Global statements made as if policy and then change when it suits them.

I get it supporters don’t care, if the club is making the best decision then I’m supportive of it, but be honest. Anything else just makes you sound like a used car salesman.

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Didn't he start the first 3 games after he arrived? You could also point to Luiz, who is effectively only here on loan if Man City decide he is. With a nice chunk of change for developing him coming our way, at least.

I understand your point, but personally I would rather see the slightly less dogmatic approach they're now taking over loan signings as a positive.

I don’t agree with your point on Luiz, things change, Luiz May want to stay Moving forward. Drinkwater was an emergency signing. I also agree about a loan signing if right for the club then make it. But I’m sick of CEO’s/owners  making global statement at Villa and then not following through. I understand the sentiment at the time  and it was good to hear from the club, but it didn’t last long and probably never should have been said.

I also don’t believe Barkley was their first choice they wanted to sign an 8 but obviously not available for the price they were willing to pay. 

56 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I want leadership from those who are running the club and I want them to say what they mean. I don’t want to see Global statements made as if policy and then change when it suits them.

I get it supporters don’t care, if the club is making the best decision then I’m supportive of it, but be honest. Anything else just makes you sound like a used car salesman.

Really strange post. What suits them suits us. Would you prefer they stubbornly refuse to improve the squad even if they are at the limit of spending because Purslow said before we don't want to rely on loans?

Bearing in mind fans will complain about any petty old shit, you must realise you being the only person to take issue with this says a lot.

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

But I’m sick of CEO’s/owners  making global statement at Villa and then not following through. I understand the sentiment at the time  and it was good to hear from the club, but it didn’t last long and probably never should have been said.

I think you just want to be angry about something.

I also don’t believe Barkley was their first choice they wanted to sign an 8 but obviously not available for the price they were willing to pay. 

Based on?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, QldVilla said:

When did Purslow say we will never make another a loan signing? I suspect he didn't and was perhaps the club wants to move away from too many loan signings. Do you have a link to the quote?

Barkley is phenomenal addition for the season. Can't imagine that anyone would think otherwise

7 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

When did Purslow say we will never make another a loan signing? I suspect he didn't and was perhaps the club wants to move away from too many loan signings. Do you have a link to the quote?

You're a tad wrong, he did as I remember watching him the interview at that time and IIRC it was just as we got promoted.

Tammy and Axel had a great season but went back to their parent clubs leaving us worse off after improving their players for them.

Purslow commented that the loan market doesn't work as it's not a good business model (or words to that effect).

I will try and find the link later today unless someone beats me to it.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

“Some of the other players we’ve talked about aren’t our players, and we don’t like that.

“We’ve had a lot of players this year who we don’t own. They’re a lot more valuable now than when they joined us and if we try to buy them it’s like, ‘Well, you improved them so now pay more’.

“That’s a terrible business model and we’re not going to be doing that in the future.”

• Thanks 1

Â