Ross Barkley

LondonLax

23 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

By 'backfire" I mean one of these scenarios:

1) He turns up for a year of taking it easy knowing it doesn't necessarily matter as it isn't really his club

2) He turns up, plays the season of his life, propels us up the table then goes back to Chelsea leaving a massive void behind that we fail to fill and we then fall back down again

Now, I don't believe the first will happen - I've never been a massive fan of Ross as a Champions League/England level player but I believe him to be professional enough not to act like that.

The second... Well if his potential finally gets fulfilled and he really steps up will we find ourselves missing him next year? I'd trust in NSWE not to let that scenario happen (and recruit suitably behind if necessary) but you never know... We sort of fell into this trap with Tammy but fortunately we managed to get away with it last season and ultimately ended up in a stronger position this season.

Jacob will be ready by then

• Like 1

I know its been posted before but what makes this even better is Oasis on in the background. 😍

Wonder who chose that as i'm sure its not something Jack would like

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Barkley's weaknesses seem to be largely in his defensive contribution with low defensive stats in pretty much across the board and does not score highly in any defensive statistic aside from low number of times dribbled past. He also seems to lack aggresiveness according to his low card and foul rate which could have contributed to some of his lower defensive stats.

His strengths however seem to be largely in his passing, with some of his passing stats being one of the highest in the league. In particular, Barkley had the highest throughball assists rate of any CM in the league last season who at least played 3 matches.

I've read somewhere that people have compared him to a Mcginn type but his stats, at least last season seem to point towards a player who is less defensive oriented and more passing oriented. So he might be closer to mould in Hourihane or possibly Luiz than Mcginn.

I said this earlier - he is not an 8 but rather a 10 i.e. the more attacking of the CM three.

I had hoped that we would get a Rashica/Benrhama and Jack would drop back in and play this role.  Much prefer him there to RB.

I do think RB is an upgrade over CH though.

I think we also need no. 8 (box to boxer) to cover for an SJM injury.  When we lost him we have been poor - not just because he is one of our better players but because we just haven't got a replacement!

Genuinely chuffed with this signing. A real signal of intent. Barkley is a top 6/8 player, no question. 

I look at our team... Grealish, Luiz, McGinn, Barkley, Mings and Martinez are top tier players.. all top 10 at least, with Jack being good enough for the very top. Add in Konsa and Watkins, who i think will get better and Cash who looks a good player, then the future is very bright. Still some areas to look at (LB and another attacking option) but overall I'm excited for the season 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

I know its been posted before but what makes this even better is Oasis on in the background. 😍

Wonder who chose that as i'm sure its not something Jack would like

I noticed the Oasis too 😍

Has to be RBs choice, he's going round the whole squad Gallagher in the face style... "I'm gonna shhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnneeeeee" 😂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, yayoboy said:

I noticed the Oasis too 😍

Has to be RBs choice, he's going round the whole squad Gallagher in the face style... "I'm gonna shhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnneeeeee" 😂

He's mad fer it! 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

So, looking through Barkley's stats last season, this is what popped out. These stats are relative to the CM position. Rate refers to per 90 minutes. So for example, a high rate of inaccurate crosses means that in an average 90 minutes, there is a high number of inaccurate crosses. 

Weaknesses

Low number of successful tackles

Low number of attempted tackles

Low rate of Interceptions

Low rate of clearances

Low rate of crosses blocked

Low rate of passes blocked

High rate of being disposessed

High rate of inaccurate crosses

High rate of unsuccessful corners

Strengths

Low number of times dribbled past.

Low foul rate-Can be a good thing or bad thing, depending on the circumstances, but I'll count it as a marginal strength.

Low card rate-Didn't get a single yellow or red card last season.

High succesful long passes rate

Low inaccurate long passes rate

High successful short passes rate

Low inaccurate short passes rate

High total key passes rate

High short key passes rate

High throughball key passes rate

High throughball assists rate.

Summary

Barkley's weaknesses seem to be largely in his defensive contribution with low defensive stats in pretty much across the board and does not score highly in any defensive statistic aside from low number of times dribbled past. He also seems to lack aggresiveness according to his low card and foul rate which could have contributed to some of his lower defensive stats.

His strengths however seem to be largely in his passing, with some of his passing stats being one of the highest in the league. In particular, Barkley had the highest throughball assists rate of any CM in the league last season who at least played 3 matches.

I've read somewhere that people have compared him to a Mcginn type but his stats, at least last season seem to point towards a player who is less defensive oriented and more passing oriented. So he might be closer to mould in Hourihane or possibly Luiz than Mcginn.

Yes I have too much time on my hands. 

Edit: Removed low goalscoring rate from the weaknesses list. That was a mistake.

Nothing lost there with the defensive contribution I'd imagine compared to Hourihane, but the passing is a huge upgrade and Conor's achille's heel. I'm happy about that.

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

By 'backfire" I mean one of these scenarios:

1) He turns up for a year of taking it easy knowing it doesn't necessarily matter as it isn't really his club

2) He turns up, plays the season of his life, propels us up the table then goes back to Chelsea leaving a massive void behind that we fail to fill and we then fall back down again

Now, I don't believe the first will happen - I've never been a massive fan of Ross as a Champions League/England level player but I believe him to be professional enough not to act like that.

The second... Well if his potential finally gets fulfilled and he really steps up will we find ourselves missing him next year? I'd trust in NSWE not to let that scenario happen (and recruit suitably behind if necessary) but you never know... We sort of fell into this trap with Tammy but fortunately we managed to get away with it last season and ultimately ended up in a stronger position this season.

If he goes back to Chelsea at the end of the season, then I am confident with these owners we will get someone in as good or better to steadily improve us.

Just thinking about the photos Barkley with Smith and Lange on the official site.

Barkley is 6ft 2in, Smith looks taller so must be 6ft 4in and Large seems really tall, must be 6ft 5in.

Anyone else notice that?

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Just thinking about the photos Barkley with Smith and Lange on the official site.

Barkley is 6ft 2in, Smith looks taller so must be 6ft 4in and Large seems really tall, must be 6ft 5in.

Anyone else notice that?

Smith and Lange are probably wearing dress shoes whereas he's likely wearing trainers, which might factor into it.

Â