Ross Barkley

LondonLax

22 minutes ago, KMitch said:

To be fair, they're going through one as well with Ancelotti.  James looks like he may be the spark to push them into the Champions League, either this season or next.  I've always had a soft spot for Blue Scouse and wish them well, just not when we play them!

spacer.png

34 minutes ago, KMitch said:

For what it's worth, Everton supporters are not happy about this one.  They hate him even more than we hate Fabian Delph, over how he left them for Chelsea.  They've always been traditionally friendly with Villa supporters, but some are actively wishing us to go down now.  

I'm sure you could find some Villa fans who want Everton to go down because they've got Fabian Delph on their books if you scour Twitter for long enough. I wouldn't put too much into how much most Evertonians give a shit about what Ross Barkley is up to these days when James Rodriguez is playing in his position for them. 

• Like 1

Let's hope he sees this as his chance to prove himself over a full season again as a starter in the league. If that happens we will be better for it. Then the question of Chelsea taking him back like Tammy tears it's head, but I suppose another year in the league would mean we could look elsewhere financially if need be.

39 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Martinez 

Cash Konsa  Mings Targett

Luiz 

Traore  Barkley McGinn  Grealish 

Watkins

Decent side that.  I just hope we get the Barkley of his last season at Everton when he did look good.  I've never been wholly convinced by him but maybe I haven't seem him enough as most others on here and pundits seem very excited about this transfer.

If we could just upgrade Matt Targett and bring in Benrhama as first change/rotation on the front three that would be some side.

5 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Let's hope he sees this as his chance to prove himself over a full season again as a starter in the league. If that happens we will be better for it. Then the question of Chelsea taking him back like Tammy tears it's head, but I suppose another year in the league would mean we could look elsewhere financially if need be.

Exactly, our time in the Premier league depends on what we do each season to stay up and improve . Once we are top ten contenders then we can look for long term solutions 

Happy so far 

Just now, TrentVilla said:

So Barkley says he has spoken to Jack over the last couple of weeks.... but certain people in the media claimed earlier this all happened suddenly? Once again... shows how full of it a lot of people are in the media.

It's hot takes isn't it?  Most people in the media don't really know too much about what's going on away from a couple of areas of interest, just look at Villa's coverage in general this season. It seems that often the person giving their opinion hasn't even thought about the question they are being asked until they've got a camera and a microphone being pointed at then.   The Barkley thing has been on for weeks, the random Villa fan on Reddit said it was a done deal on 14th September and he only knew about it because he's friends with Craig Shakespeare's son. I'm sure Barkley and Jack have known about this for even longer.

Now not every rumour comes true but this definitely isn't a move out of the blue.   If you think about it from a business point of view then Chelsea must have been trying to get a couple of players off of their books before the window closed based purely on the fact they've signed a who's who of world class forwards this summer and there is definitely value to be had with some of the players they don't need anymore.  Those players will probably have been offered round to half the Premier League by agents and we just happen to be one of the takers.  

From a footballing point of view I guess Barkley is in our strongest midfield with Douglas Luiz and John McGinn,  Jack is still used further forwards most weeks and it's Conor who falls down the pecking order a little bit. I'm fairly pleased with this deal, we've got a England international in his prime years for very little risk.  He'll have two years left on his contract at Chelsea when the loan ends and I don't think they'll be fighting too hard to keep him unless all of their summer signings turn out to be disasters so if we do want to buy him next summer then the fee will probably be pretty reasonable too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

It's hot takes isn't it?  Most people in the media don't really know too much about what's going on away from a couple of areas of interest, just look at Villa's coverage in general this season. It seems that often the person giving their opinion hasn't even thought about the question they are being asked until they've got a camera and a microphone being pointed at then.   The Barkley thing has been on for weeks, the random Villa fan on Reddit said it was a done deal on 14th September and he only knew about it because he's friends with Craig Shakespeare's son. I'm sure Barkley and Jack have known about this for even longer.

Now not every rumour comes true but this definitely isn't a move out of the blue.   If you think about it from a business point of view then Chelsea must have been trying to get a couple of players off of their books before the window closed based purely on the fact they've signed a who's who of world class forwards this summer and there is definitely value to be had with some of the players they don't need anymore.  Those players will probably have been offered round to half the Premier League by agents and we just happen to be one of the takers.  

From a footballing point of view I guess Barkley is in our strongest midfield with Douglas Luiz and John McGinn,  Jack is still used further forwards most weeks and it's Conor who falls down the pecking order a little bit. I'm fairly pleased with this deal, we've got a England international in his prime years for very little risk.  He'll have two years left on his contract at Chelsea when the loan ends and I don't think they'll be fighting too hard to keep him unless all of their summer signings turn out to be disasters so if we do want to buy him next summer then the fee will probably be pretty reasonable too. 

Agree on all points. This goes back to early Sept, which should give people an idea of how long these things can and regularly do take.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

How could it backfire on us?

By 'backfire" I mean one of these scenarios:

1) He turns up for a year of taking it easy knowing it doesn't necessarily matter as it isn't really his club

2) He turns up, plays the season of his life, propels us up the table then goes back to Chelsea leaving a massive void behind that we fail to fill and we then fall back down again

Now, I don't believe the first will happen - I've never been a massive fan of Ross as a Champions League/England level player but I believe him to be professional enough not to act like that.

The second... Well if his potential finally gets fulfilled and he really steps up will we find ourselves missing him next year? I'd trust in NSWE not to let that scenario happen (and recruit suitably behind if necessary) but you never know... We sort of fell into this trap with Tammy but fortunately we managed to get away with it last season and ultimately ended up in a stronger position this season.

Does anyone else wonder if this signing wouldn't have happened if Jack hadn't eventually gotten called up to the England squad? Not necessarily because it made Jack an England international, but gave Jack a chance to boost up the club in person.

25 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Got the dead eyes of a monster

You know how some personalities just seem to match what someone looks like? A friend of mine looks almost exactly like Barkley and I swear his head is filled with mostly really dense spam. He’s got that same dead ‘post-nam’ look but an emotion every now and then comes through simply because they were told by their home planet that ‘this is how humans react sometimes’.

I reckon you could hit him with a brick and he wouldn’t notice. 

• Haha 1

Â