Emiliano Martínez

hippo

11 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Yeah this is exactly what I thought would happen when FIFA said they couldn’t block players from leaving

Well I suppose if the PL don't like FIFA's decision they can always appeal it. Just lodge an appeal with, err, FIFA.

• Like 1

I don't begrudge him but do think it's yet another factor that's going to **** with our chances of pushing on this season.

We haven't a hope of any points from Chelsea or Everton with Jed Steer (whom I like) between the sticks and no Buendia either.

Scheduling madness this year. Next will be even worse with the Qatar farce happening in December.

This situation is making a mockery of the entire league. So the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, City, who have 6 players per position are blocking their players from leaving while we will lose our keeper and record transfer player for a number of games. How is this a level playing field? 

8 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

This situation is making a mockery of the entire league. So the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, City, who have 6 players per position are blocking their players from leaving while we will lose our keeper and record transfer player for a number of games. How is this a level playing field? 

This league hasn't been a level playing field for a long long time mate. Arguably never was.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

They are blocking their players? Is that correct?

if Buendia and martinez do go against our wishes, i would 100% buy a new keeper, ensure Sanson/Chuk/Traore etc get some good game time, and make it as hard for them as possible to get back in the first 11.

I dont want them out of the first 11, they are both critical players for us, but thats the main problem!, its just so......disrespectful of both of them if they go against the express wishes of the club and leave us in the s***.

Also, if Deano says "yeaaah, nooo its ok i dont like it but i will you know...yeaaah no accept their decision"...................then both him and the club are too soft.

Edited by MaVilla

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

if Buendia and martinez do go against our wishes, i would 100% buy a new keeper, ensure Sanson/Chuk/Traore etc get some good game time, and make it as hard for them as possible to get back in the first 11.

I dont want them out of the first 11, but its just so......disrespectful of both of them if they go against the express wishes of the club and leave us in the s***.

Also, if Deano says "yeaaah, nooo its ok i dont like it but i will you know...yeaaah no accept their decision"...................then both him and the club are too soft.

Great dig at the manager there!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

They are blocking their players? Is that correct?

What they say and what they do are not necessarily the same thing. I doubt they legally have any way to block the players. They can however attempt to pressure them to drop out, but if they then do drop out, the club can be banned from playing them, and the players anyway may still (as they have the right to do) go.

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Its difficult for English people to understand where the Emi's are coming from because we live in a joke of a Country and cannot fathom what representing the country you love means. They are proud Argies.

Yet the Brazilians are not bothering..... surely they feel the same for Brazil.

52 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

not being funny, but FIFA dont pay these players wages, the clubs do.

what a load of tools.

The commercial value of players and football clubs exists because of the competitions they play in.

This is no different from the African Cup of Nations, which sees players missing several games every two years.

The only solution is to get rid of international football entirely, take the FA out of FIFA, or take the PL out of the FA. Maybe you could call it a “Super League”.

I’m baffled by people acting like this is a unique situation that big clubs wouldn’t be affected by. Stuff like this happens all the time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Of course we’re not, but in his case he left a club that had European football to come to us, a team that had narrowly escaped relegation to play regular football, and I bet a massive motivation for both him and Buendia was breaking into the Argentinian national team. Players care massively about playing for their national team, way more than fans do re supporting the national team, in this country at least.

They are not the bad guys, we are not the bad guys, it’s just an extremely difficult situation. I’m hoping a compromise can be met such as an early release. 

Thank you for making this point, which I think is the most relevant of all.

People need to remember our situation, as a club. We cannot offer European football to potential new signings; we can't do it now, and we're very unlikely to be able to do it even in the medium term. Even if posters on this forum are fully convinced we will soon finish in European places, it doesn't matter, because what matters is whether players and agents believe we will, and they have no reason to think that.

One of the positive stories we can tell, however, is that of a sidelined goalkeeper who came to Aston Villa, played well for a season, then became Argentina's number 1, and won the Copa America with the greatest player in history saying that this goalie was the main reason why. The international recognition that Martinez - and to a lesser extent Luiz - has gotten while playing at the club could be a powerful argument for persuading South American footballers and their agents in the future. But it can only work in our favour if the argument is 'play for your country *because of* playing for Aston Villa'; it won't work if it is 'play for your country *or* play for Aston Villa'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â