Emiliano Martínez

hippo

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Qualifying for a world cup isn’t high stakes?

It is.

Nowhere near as high as playing in the Euros though. And the other points still stand.

Edited by WooJung

54 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

How do we know what the club and he have spoken about - and even if the club have said, ‘hey Emi, it would be great if you didn’t go’ - we do not own him, it’s not slavery, he’s free to make his own choices.

I don’t think the PL have any say on the matter either, the guy’s just become Argentina’s number one, why would he give that up suddenly because of some bullshit red tape being arbitrarily drawn up by the most inept group of dickheads to ever lead this country?! 

Well no it's not slavery, it's a job. One he's paid a lot to do. 

If I went to a red list country now and therefore couldn't start work and teach my new class in September for the first week or 2, I'd be in a shit load of trouble. I could hardly turn round and say hey I'm not a slave. 

There would be consequences, as there would be for any normal person. Him being a well liked player shouldn't impact that. 

He's choosing to put himself in a situation where he cannot play for us. That's an issue IMO.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Agree he  has to go. If we tried to block it and he loses his spot for the World Cup I can't see him wanting to stay at the club. Such a frustrating situation.

Then as much as I like him, **** him. 

If villa aren't his priority then what the hell are we doing? 

Just now, WooJung said:

Nowhere near as high as playing in the Euros

Yes it is it means you qualify for the world cup and in contention to play in the world cup it doesn’t get any bigger than playing in the World Cup

• Like 1

Come the World Cup you know that everyone on here and every other social media platform will be bragging nonstop that Argentina's #1 plays for the Villa. The club obviously see Emi as Argentina's #1 being a huge positive for the club. Well he can't continue to be the #1 goalkeeper for a World Cup contender unless he shows up and plays in the qualifiers.

How do you think it will go down if us holding Emi back causes Argentina to miss the World Cup altogether?  

Quite literally the greatest trophy a footballer can win. Good luck getting him to sign that contract extension. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Agree he  has to go. If we tried to block it and he loses his spot for the World Cup I can't see him wanting to stay at the club. Such a frustrating situation.

You would put anything past the argie FA either... If I was him I wouldn't mess about with my place 

It is what it is

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Then as much as I like him, **** him. 

If villa aren't his priority then what the hell are we doing? 

Find me a footballer that would be fine with his Club blocking his ability to play in the World Cup. You're holding Emi to an impossible standard. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Find me a footballer that would be fine with his Club blocking his ability to play in the World Cup. You're holding Emi to an impossible standard. 

What about every other player not going because of these rules?

I don't think it's an impossible standard at all. Covid has caused unbelievable sacrifices to be made by everyone. 

9 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

The PL and La Liga clubs have all come to an agreement are doing just that to all players needed to go to red listed countries.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

The PL and La Liga clubs have all come to an agreement are doing just that to all players needed to go to red listed countries.  

Doesn't sound like much of an agreement if the players had no say in the decision. The players in Europe badly need a union that can ensure clubs don't get to make these decisions in the future without then having a seat at the table. 

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

9 La Liga players in the Argentina squad,  Four in the Brazil squad

6 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Doesn't sound like much of an agreement if the players had no say in the decision. The players in Europe badly need a union that can ensure clubs don't get to make these decisions in the future without then having a seat at the table. 

The clubs pay them to play for them. It's their job. This seems to be getting ignored a lot. 

What other professions would get to do this?

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

It's standard in cricket and rugby. 

But isn't that an agreement between everyone though? And as you say it's standard. 

This isn't standard and in this case the league and club don't want it to happen. Big difference. 

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The clubs pay them to play for them. It's their job. This seems to be getting ignored a lot. 

What other professions would get to do this?

While true this is a bit naiive. What other professions exist where an employee could get reprimanded for such a decision, get their feelings hurt by said reprimand and thus instruct their agent to slap in a transfer request in and piss off to a more lucrative more successful company in the same profession due to their level of ability? 

Football while a job yes isn’t the type of job we normal folk do, the rules are different unfortunately.

Â