Emiliano Martínez

hippo

I can handle this compromise. Even if there was no quarantine rules they would have missed the Chelsea game as would have most likely played against Bolivia. 

Whilst not ideal it could have been a lot worse.  They better train their arses off at Travel lodge and be raring to go against Everton!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I don’t think either player disrespects the club and I very much believe that they appreciate playing for us, Martinez has been outspoken about it and I find it annoying to place doubts over him when it is completely unwarranted…

Try to understand the importance and pride for players like these in representing their country, and playing a part in qualifying and staking a claim for a place in a World Cup. They would not want to miss out and it would be unfair for us to deny them… they haven’t gone against the club or caused any trouble.

At least a compromise has been reached. We don’t know the inner workings of the club and what our players thoughts are.

Let’s put this to rest and look forwards.

The most sensible comment on here 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Villa87 said:

So on this occasion just Chelsea. What are the permeation for future internationals and missing games?

Yeah I think there'll be more going forward.

Tough spot for us though. These are two key players, being measured is sensible.

I would like to say they just wouldn't go, but for different reasons it's a huge deal for both of them.

As frustrating as it'll be to be without players for a game or two, I think it's a good thing long term to show players that we're a pretty great club to play for and that we'll help them achieve their ambitions.

Martinez especially has been very outwardly appreciative of what the club has done for him.

We'll need to learn to rotate players if we're to advance, and one player doesn't make a team, even in a position like GK. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

I don’t think either player disrespects the club and I very much believe that they appreciate playing for us, Martinez has been outspoken about it and I find it annoying to place doubts over him when it is completely unwarranted…

Try to understand the importance and pride for players like these in representing their country, and playing a part in qualifying and staking a claim for a place in a World Cup. They would not want to miss out and it would be unfair for us to deny them… they haven’t gone against the club or caused any trouble.

At least a compromise has been reached. We don’t know the inner workings of the club and what our players thoughts are.

Let’s put this to rest and look forwards.

I thought Dean Smith said that the club asked them not to go?

• Thanks 1

I love their passion for representing their country. They show that same passion every time they walk out representing the Villa. 

I'll take these Uber talented Argentinian over the dross that dragged us down to the championship every day. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Club at one point clearly didn't want them to go. I think we've had to back pedal because they were going no matter what. I appreciate the players have compromised somewhat but I certainly won't forget it. 

I’m surprised mate, you’ve been very rational when it comes to our manager in what seems like a sea of irrational comments, but you’ve been quite irrational on this matter IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I’m surprised mate, you’ve been very rational when it comes to our manager in what seems like a sea of irrational comments, but you’ve been quite irrational on this matter IMO. 

I don't feel irrational. Ultimately I put the club first. It's obvious the club and the manager didn't want them to go. I think it's very disrespectful for the players to go against that. 

And I can put myself in their shoes and appreciate how much they want to play. But I also can't accept that people can't make sacrifices because of Covid. The world's been doing it for 18 months. 

Like I said previously, I hope we don't look back at the multiple games they may miss and think what if at the end of the season. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't feel irrational. Ultimately I put the club first. It's obvious the club and the manager didn't want them to go. I think it's very disrespectful for the players to go against that. 

And I can put myself in their shoes and appreciate how much they want to play. But I also can't accept that people can't make sacrifices because of Covid. The world's been doing it for 18 months. 

Like I said previously, I hope we don't look back at the multiple games they may miss and think what if at the end of the season. 

I know you put the club first mate, and perhaps the initial ’news’ coming off the back of Saturday’s match, where the injuries feel like they’re racking up right now, and it’s losing 2 more players for something you probably feel is unnecessary given it’s their choice.

You have to remember they’ve already been making those sacrifices that we’ve all been making, but to risk their international futures is a big ask, we’ll it is IMO anyway.

You have to remember mate, this story is being pieced together from a tweet from Emi, a comment from DS after the game and a few other bits. We don’t know the full story yet…..

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I think this is why I find it so frustrating. The pre season was disrupted and we've had so many injuries and covid issues these first 3 games.

And then to make things worse we have this. 

I absolutely back and support our players, but that definitely changes slightly towards players who demonstrate that this club isn't their priority. 

I can't help it and ultimately if they miss multiple games, it's going to to be difficult to not look at it once the season is over and think about the impact it might have had. I hope it doesn't have one.

You will go to great pains on here to argue with anyone who dares question the manager or the club's hierarchy, but a player wants to go represent their country - which they're entitled to do - and you have a problem with it.

11 minutes ago, est1874 said:

You will go to great pains on here to argue with anyone who dares question the manager or the club's hierarchy, but a player wants to go represent their country - which they're entitled to do - and you have a problem with it.

I have a problem with them choosing to make themselves unavailable to play for Aston Villa. Yes absolutely. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I have to say that’s harsh on @DCJonah

i’m very conflicted on this.  

One side of me totally agrees with DC, with everything gone on pandemic and everything that players not only go to red listed countries but also suffer impacting missing a game with us, it just feels wrong them doing this for a variety of reasons and I understand peoples points over the last few days but I still think them going is wrong!

The other side of me understands they are new to the international scene, don’t want to risk their places in the Argentina squad, love playing for their country and should be in a fairly secure bubble.  Also they have comprised only doing two games and not the full three so only miss one of our games.

So I get what DC is saying and having a go at his views is wrong.  I think the two Emi’s are wrong for going, I really do, but I understand their reasoning.

• Like 1

Â