Emiliano Martínez

hippo

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's an especially difficult one for Martinez because if he doesn't go he could lose his first team spot for the rest of his career - it's always harder for goalkeepers to get a shout. 

I do get that. I'd also say that after his exploits in the Copa America, it would be very harsh if was completely dropped for complying with the wishes of the league he plays in and the club who pay him. 

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I do get that. I'd also say that after his exploits in the Copa America, it would be very harsh if was completely dropped for complying with the wishes of the league he plays in and the club who pay him. 

Said earlier not with the argie FA in charge... 

He says he's not going to go, the keeper that they actually want does go, emi won't get back in, they will pick the team based on politics not the manager based on ability, its been a problem of theirs for years, they're clowns, winning the copa won't change that and emi has every right not to trust them or think that it's as simple as miss some games come back later and he'll play because of the copa or messi likes him or anything like because he's the best keeper they have 

• Like 1

All this shite about “his employer who pays his wages”… come on, it’s a football club operating in a world football system, where part of the deal is your best players may have international duties. And this may have an impact on their club careers.

I don’t think some of you understand the enormity of representing a country like Argentina in a World Cup. It’s not “small time” of Villa to let him go. Big clubs  routinely lose African players mid-season…

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Said earlier not with the argie FA in charge... 

He says he's not going to go, the keeper that they actually want does go, emi won't get back in, they will pick the team based on politics not the manager based on ability, its been a problem of theirs for years, they're clowns, winning the copa won't change that and emi has every right not to trust them or think that it's as simple as miss some games come back later and he'll play because of the copa or messi likes him or anything like because he's the best keeper they have 

But isn't that even worse? He's got a country who would treat him that way and a club who invested in him and gave him this opportunity and he's choosing them. 

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

All this shite about “his employer who pays his wages”… come on, it’s a football club operating in a world football system, where part of the deal is your best players may have international duties. And this may have an impact on their club careers.

I don’t think some of you understand the enormity of representing a country like Argentina in a World Cup. It’s not “small time” of Villa to let him go. Big clubs  routinely lose African players mid-season…

In normal circumstances and no one minds. This isn't normal circumstances. 

And if this is the case why have the club asked him not to go?

Edited by DCJonah

Just now, DCJonah said:

But isn't that even worse? He's got a country who would treat him that way and a club who invested in him and gave him this opportunity and he's choosing them. 

Maybe but I don't think that's realistic 

Just won the copa, probably fancy themselves with a chance at the world cup, of course he's going to want to be a part of that and do everything he can to be a part of that

I've got no problem with him doing it 

If winning a world cup keeps him content at being mid table at villa then let him win the world cup 

Villa also letting him go would further cement how happy he is here 

• Like 2

After thinking about it for the morning i have come to the conclusion that this is Professional Football. And as a professional you should follow the guidelines given by your place ofwork and the union that it is part of . 

Granted it is a screwed up situ with infection rates in Argentina less than in the UK but thats government level decisions. As an employee of a club that resides in the UK you simply have to follow the decisions made. 

I would like to think that a whole international career does not hinge upon whether you turn up in Argentina for these games or not. Football is a game where these athletes are often injured. This on this occasion should be treated by the players as one of these times. 

Basically yes i totally understand how frustrating it might be for the Emis but its just how it is. 

• Thanks 2

Just won the copa, probably fancy themselves with a chance at the world cup, of course he's going to want to be a part of that and do everything he can to be a part of that

If winning a world cup keeps him content at being mid table at villa then let him win the world cup 

We've asked him not to go. Everyone who is fine with it clearly doesn't agree with Dean Smith and the club. 

3 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

After thinking about it for the morning i have come to the conclusion that this is Professional Football. And as a professional you should follow the guidelines given by your place ofwork and the union that it is part of . 

Granted it is a screwed up situ with infection rates in Argentina less than in the UK but thats government level decisions. As an employee of a club that resides in the UK you simply have to follow the decisions made. 

I would like to think that a whole international career does not hinge upon whether you turn up in Argentina for these games or not. Football is a game where these athletes are often injured. This on this occasion should be treated by the players as one of these times. 

Basically yes i totally understand how frustrating it might be for the Emis but its just how it is. 

Yes, especially after these last two years. 

FIFA rules *oblige* clubs to release players for international duty. Claiming that contracts or employment law apply here is a dead end argument, sorry. This is how football works. That’s why the club haven’t blocked it.

What we have to hope is that federations / govts reach some kind of sensible agreement that minimises the number of games missed.

This is no different from African Cup of Nations. I’m not sure why people are reacting as if this is a unique crime against football.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

In normal circumstances and no one minds. This isn't normal circumstances. 

And if this is the case why have the club asked him not to go?

The key word there is “asked”. Of course it’s sensible for the club to float the idea, because we’d love to hang on to two of our best players, but the players have no obligation to go along with it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I actually agree with this. It's not great for the club but it is in a way.

I also think we need a back up/challenger for Emi anyway. If we get one people won't lose their shit as much. It also pressures Emi to fight for his position or be aware he could lose it. At the moment he is unchallenged and that isn't good because any player unchallenged generally do what they want. I think he needs his position at club level to be under threat tbh, as all players should have. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think this is crazy. The midtable premier league team is his employer. They pay his wages. 

And in regards to the last paragraph, if this is anything to go by, I don't see what sacrifice Martinez will make for us in the future. 

And Argentina is his country. He can change club but you can't change your country.  Blame the government's rules. Players are tested and checked regularly for Covid it's foolish to make them quarantine if their tests come back clear.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

But that union is part of a global union that governs the whole sport. They say they should go. Now what?

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Xela said:

They are paid millions by their clubs and their actions will cause them to miss a lot of games. They should be fined heavily for that. 

I'd imagine their contracts allow them to play international games nd join squads for recognised FIFA tournaments. That's pretty standard.

Just because the UK /England has particular quarantine rules for certain countries is no get out. They can legally travel there for "work" and the law of the UK currently says they have to quarantine when they come back.

I don't blame the players at all. Neither the FIFA scheduling, nor the pandemic or the UK rules around it is their fault.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It looks like Argentina aren't allowing fans to games until the end of September at the earliest so I don't see why they have to play the games at home.  They just gave up the 'home advantage' of a Copa America and won it in Brazil.  I guess there might be another problem finding a place where the home-based players get let in to play though as I believe they've used a lot of the Sputnik vaccine over there which I don't think is widely recognised yet.

Â