Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Its frustrating, but those are the rules right now. Who are we (as a club and a fanbase) to dictate whether our players represent their countries? As Mings said, they're proud to represent their nations so we should respect that. If we want world class players, and the exposure of having Argentina's #1 then this is a relatively small price to pay short term. It's not the players' fault the government is a joke. 

Be interesting on the government stance if/when England have to play in a red country...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, calcifer said:

Did we have Steer in goal and  Hause and Alex in defence? This is very much a possibility, I have had cracked ribs before and it took 4-5 weeks to fully recover!! So Mings will not be playing unless he is dosed up with painkillers.... 

Not many teams will be getting much at Chelsea. For all we know in normal times Emi might've picked up an injury on international duty.

In the past we've lost 7-1 at Chelsea and finished 6th so really it's not a season defining game.

11 hours ago, Jas10 said:

🤣 Really?

”looks like they are going to go anyway” 

looks like? Is that further “confirmation”?

Just go back and look at your own comments and others? Overreactions aplenty.

Sack them? GTFO

Again, let’s see what happens…

No one, including you, has any idea what is actually going on here.

Where did you read “sack them”? Facebook? Because I certainly didn’t say it and I haven’t seen it in here. 

I don’t think it’s an overreaction to ask that our footballers consider the impact their actions have on the club that pays their way. I can sense you don’t think that’s a reasonable request?

As it turns out, they are going and a reasonable compromise appears to have been reached. So I guess that’s the end of it. Bit too messy for my tastes, but pandemic life sucks all round so I’m used to it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Where did you read “sack them”? Facebook? Because I certainly didn’t say it and I haven’t seen it in here. 

I don’t think it’s an overreaction to ask that our footballers consider the impact their actions have on the club that pays their way. I can sense you don’t think that’s a reasonable request?

As it turns out, they are going and a reasonable compromise appears to have been reached. So I guess that’s the end of it. Bit too messy for my tastes, but pandemic life sucks all round so I’m used to it. 

As expected, some sort of compromise has been reached and hopefully the rules/restrictions will be reviewed/altered in the not too distant future.

There were many ott comments here and certain people have acknowledged that and had the time to calm down. Maybe yours weren’t as reactionary as others but my responses were not aimed at one particular person.

One of my points actually was that the players would still respect the club and take into account the impact it would have on us and that some sort of compromise or agreement would be made… which goes against the accusations about them that some people had made.

Not sure why you sensed I didn’t feel or take that into account, oh well.

I don’t go anywhere near FB btw, it’s known as one of the worst places for idiots and reactionary comments…

It’s done, let’s move on.

And yes, the pandemic has been terrible and hugely disruptive.

22 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Blame the government's rules. Simple. Elite sportspeople are tested regularly.

Yep, we should be frustrated at the rules rather than laying into our own players…

At least the matter is closed now.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Yep, we should be frustrated at the rules rather than laying into our own players…

At least the matter is closed now.

I disagree. 

I think the fact the club released a statement and the club captain has come out to support them shows its an issue. 

I'm glad it's closed for now and I hope the rules change soon. 

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I disagree. 

I think the fact the club released a statement and the club captain has come out to support them shows its an issue. 

I'm glad it's closed for now and I hope the rules change soon. 

Let’s move on. Agree to disagree and whatnot.

All I really want right now is to get our players fit and settled… I want to see how we do with our strongest team out there and they need some time to gel and get used to playing with each other.

Again, it’s a transitional period for us. I’m curious to see how we will perform with our strongest side. I wonder if we can pull off the kinds of results and performances that we managed against the “big teams” last season. Seems like it’s going to be harder this time…

We need to be more clinical/efficient against the smaller sides too.

I really don’t think there should be any pressure from the fans… let’s just enjoy.

I prefer to back and support our players, the two Emis are absolutely key for us.

Edited by Jas10

there's no way they're playing vs everton. martinez MAYBE but definitely not buendia. with special permission and if accompanied by hotel security they can have a little outdoor exercise but aside from that they're going to be sat in a hotel room for 10 days. they will almost certainly not be physically or even mentally ready for a PL match

is what it is...i don't think our season will get going properly till nov/dec personally. just need to pick up a few points in the meantime so we're not too far adrift of top half

Edited by tomav84

It's an annoying situation but I think the response to it from the club and the players is class. Martinez and Buendia are desperate to play for their countries but also respect the club enough to come to a compromise. Villa don't want them to go but respect their ambitions as individual footballers and Argentinians enough to seek out a compromise. And Tyrone Mings, honestly defining what it means to be a captain with his comment tonight. Weirdly even more proud to be a Villa fan after this somehow

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

there's no way they're playing vs everton. martinez MAYBE but definitely not buendia. with special permission and if accompanied by hotel security they can have a little outdoor exercise but aside from that they're going to be sat in a hotel room for 10 days. they will almost certainly not be physically or even mentally ready for a PL match

is what it is...i don't think our season will get going properly till nov/dec personally. just need to pick up a few points in the meantime so we're not too far adrift of top half

If i were a club like villa, i would be renting multiple rooms out at a local hotel, including function rooms, then setting up gym equipment, cardio equipment etc in the function rooms etc in advance of their return, so they can maintain a good level of fitness.

Heck, i would probably rent out an entire floor if needed!, heck again!, i would probably rent out an entire hotel!, heck! heck! heck!, i would maybe even build a new hotel  in a  record timeframe so we can build an entire gym and fenced outside area to train!

:P

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Let’s move on. Agree to disagree and whatnot.

All I really want right now is to get our players fit and settled… I want to see how we do with our strongest team out there and they need some time to gel and get used to playing with each other.

Again, it’s a transitional period for us. I’m curious to see how we will perform with our strongest side. I wonder if we can pull off the kinds of results and performances that we managed against the “big teams” last season. Seems like it’s going to be harder this time…

We need to be more clinical/efficient against the smaller sides too.

I really don’t think there should be any pressure from the fans… let’s just enjoy.

I prefer to back and support our players, the two Emis are absolutely key for us.

I think this is why I find it so frustrating. The pre season was disrupted and we've had so many injuries and covid issues these first 3 games.

And then to make things worse we have this. 

I absolutely back and support our players, but that definitely changes slightly towards players who demonstrate that this club isn't their priority. 

I can't help it and ultimately if they miss multiple games, it's going to to be difficult to not look at it once the season is over and think about the impact it might have had. I hope it doesn't have one.

• Like 1

Â