Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Happy for Martinez to go, he deserves to be Argentina's first choice keeper and I wouldn't feel good if Villa stood in his way. He's only with us so he gets to play every week and get into the international set up. 

Time for Steer to step up and earn his money as back up 

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Again I don't think more than happy to leave us in the shit is quite right, I'd say he thinks he is doing his duty and these are the consequences, which players have little power over.  I don't see why it means he doesn't love playing for Villa or doesn't give a shit about us but then I'm probably in a minority in that I don't think Jack leaving us means he doesn't or never has loved Villa.  It's not really black and white and I always try to put myself in someone else's shoes, if I take my supporting of Villa out of it and was a player for a different club and I have a chance of a World Cup spot then I would probably go, or at least try and force a compromise.  I understand others think otherwise and expect a player just to tow the line because we pay him the money and should punish them but I don't think that does anyone any good in the long run.

I disagree. He has all the power. It's his choice to go against the wishes of Dean Smith and the club.

3 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Happy for Martinez to go, he deserves to be Argentina's first choice keeper and I wouldn't feel good if Villa stood in his way. He's only with us so he gets to play every week and get into the international set up. 

Time for Steer to step up and earn his money as back up 

You make it sound like we're a charity.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Well no it's not slavery, it's a job. One he's paid a lot to do. 

If I went to a red list country now and therefore couldn't start work and teach my new class in September for the first week or 2, I'd be in a shit load of trouble. I could hardly turn round and say hey I'm not a slave. 

There would be consequences, as there would be for any normal person. Him being a well liked player shouldn't impact that. 

He's choosing to put himself in a situation where he cannot play for us. That's an issue IMO.

You can't really compare this situation to your own career though.  You choosing to go on holiday, or do a bit of extra curricular teaching in a third world country, is either not the school's problem or not normal for your role.

Footballers are all ultimately employees of their country as well as primarily their club, and it is a well known expected fact that the best players of a given country will play for their country. 

This is a unique and unusual situation that has never been encountered before in football. To compare it to anything else, either a completely different sport, let alone career, is always going to throw up contradictory scenarios. 

I think I agree with your viewpoint that it would be wrong for them to go against the Premier League ruling and Clubs wishes, but not for the same reason, and can see why it is far from a black and white / right or wrong situation.

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Will be the same players wanting to leave us when we don't achieve " objectives " or " match their ambitions " after pissing off for a 3rd or more of the season.

The irony.

This needs to stop, this is as bad as the DS thread! We have to stop getting angry about things that haven’t even happened!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

No I don't but if that's how you want to read it with your unnecessary rage towards a player wanting to represent his country, then please do carry on. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Try and put yourself in the shoes of a patriotic player who only has a handful of international caps. He’s playing overseas and all his family are back home. He has a chance to cement his position as a starter in the next World Cup, playing for a team that has a genuine chance of winning the World Cup.

The idea that he’d put his mid table Premier League club first is just delusional. I’m sorry, that’s the reality.

What’s madness is that we can’t find a way of limiting the fallout from this - that’s the responsibility of playing authorities and governments to find a sensible solution.

Pinning the blame on a guy who has been a good servant to the club is just silly. He was probably a big factor in us attracting Buendia in the first place.

Smith will know how to handle this. Sometimes you have to sacrifice something for a player so that they make sacrifices for you in future.

My issue is more with the Federations if i'm honest.

They NEED to find a compromise.

Why can't they play the games in neutral, non Red Zoned territory?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The idea that he’d put his mid table Premier League club first is just delusional. I’m sorry, that’s the reality.

His employers, who have made him a very rich man and given the him the opportunity of first team football.

**** me, what a small time attitude, we are just little old Aston Villa. We should be grateful and the players can do what they want.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

You can't really compare this situation to your own career though.  You choosing to go on holiday, or do a bit of extra curricular teaching in a third world country, is either not the school's problem or not normal for your role.

Footballers are all ultimately employees of their country as well as primarily their club, and it is a well known expected fact that the best players of a given country will play for their country. 

This is a unique and unusual situation that has never been encountered before in football. To compare it to anything else, either a completely different sport, let alone career, is always going to throw up contradictory scenarios. 

I think I agree with your viewpoint that it would be wrong for them to go against the Premier League ruling and Clubs wishes, but not for the same reason, and can see why it is far from a black and white / right or wrong situation.

Yeah, I get its different in that respect. I think the point I was trying to make was that my choice would have consequences and in this unusual circumstance, going against the wishes of his employers should also. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, skarroki said:

No I don't but if that's how you want to read it with your unnecessary rage towards a player wanting to represent his country, then please do carry on. 

No the anger is towards him choosing to miss games for us. I understand his desire to play for Argentina. 

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Of course we’re not, but in his case he left a club that had European football to come to us, a team that had narrowly escaped relegation to play regular football, and I bet a massive motivation for both him and Buendia was breaking into the Argentinian national team. Players care massively about playing for their national team, way more than fans do re supporting the national team, in this country at least.

They are not the bad guys, we are not the bad guys, it’s just an extremely difficult situation. I’m hoping a compromise can be met such as an early release. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Try and put yourself in the shoes of a patriotic player who only has a handful of international caps. He’s playing overseas and all his family are back home. He has a chance to cement his position as a starter in the next World Cup, playing for a team that has a genuine chance of winning the World Cup.

What’s madness is that we can’t find a way of limiting the fallout from this - that’s the responsibility of playing authorities and governments to find a sensible solution.

Pinning the blame on a guy who has been a good servant to the club is just silly. He was probably a big factor in us attracting Buendia in the first place.

Smith will know how to handle this. Sometimes you have to sacrifice something for a player so that they make sacrifices for you in future.

I think this is crazy. The midtable premier league team is his employer. They pay his wages. 

And in regards to the last paragraph, if this is anything to go by, I don't see what sacrifice Martinez will make for us in the future. 

3 minutes ago, jim said:

His employers, who have made him a very rich man and given the him the opportunity of first team football.

**** me, what a small time attitude, we are just little old Aston Villa. We should be grateful and the players can do what they want.

I don't agree with you often but absolutely this. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

My issue is more with the Federations if i'm honest.

They NEED to find a compromise.

Why can't they play the games in neutral, non Red Zoned territory?

Exactly, if the games are played behind closed doors (I'm not totally sure if they are?) then home advantage isn't really that important.  If they did move the games to the US for example then I would have thought that there would be a decent number of supporters living there and they could have full availability of all their players.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The idea that he’d put his mid table Premier League club first is just delusional

I’m not sure how I feel about it all, but his mid table club is his employer, the people who pay him to turn up to work.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Of course we’re not, but in his case he left a club that had European football to come to us, a team that had narrowly escaped relegation to play regular football, and I bet a massive motivation for both him and Buendia was breaking into the Argentinian national team. Players care massively about playing for their national team, way more than fans do re supporting the national team, in this country at least.

They are not the bad guys, we are not the bad guys, it’s just an extremely difficult situation. I’m hoping a compromise can be met such as an early release. 

I absolutely get all that desire. I know he came here to play first team football and get that number 1 spot.

It is an extremely difficult situation but I disagree that they aren't the bad guys. To go against the wishes of the club and the manager and choose to miss multiple games absolutely makes them the bad guys IMO.

Â