Callum Wilson

Delphinho123

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

If you're a player at RB Salzburg, you know that all the top clubs in Europe are looking at you and you'll get a move to one if you keep performing. There's absolutely no point in a player like him moving to a team like us right now.

I can think of 3 without trying hard.

The PL is a much higher profile. More people will watch him playing for Villa on TV worldwide than Salzburg. Probably by a factor of 100. Hence his next move could be huge if he is a hit. 

As a result, any sponsorship deals would be significant.

We could pay him a fortune.

Just now, Mazrim said:

I can think of 3 without trying hard.

The PL is a much higher profile. More people will watch him playing for Villa on TV worldwide than Salzburg. Probably by a factor of 100. Hence his next move could be huge if he is a hit. 

As a result, any sponsorship deals would be significant.

We could pay him a fortune.

Why bother when you can just go straight to a top club, like Minamino or Haaland?

10 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Why bother when you can just go straight to a top club, like Minamino or Haaland?

If those offers exist then it makes things unlikely, I agree.

I just don't see how he's "not available to us" though based on the fact other players have left Salzburg for big moves before.

I'd hope our recruitment would be more imaginative and ambitious than accepting we cannot prize players away from... Austria.

Edited by Mazrim

3 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

If those offers exist then it makes things unlikely, I agree.

I just don't see how he's "not available to us" though based on the fact other players have left Salzburg for big moves before.

I'd hope our recruitment would be more imaginative and ambitious than accepting we cannot prize players away from... Austria.

But it's not just Austria, it's RB Salzburg, who are known and respected as finders of great talent across the continent. Any other team in the Austrian league, sure we'd have a great chance of signing their best players, but not them IMO. 

54 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Can you provide some other examples?

I have on the transfer thread. @Villain4Life has numerous times too. @Tomaszk has numerous times. @Jas10 has also made some cracking suggestions. Others have also named a few strikers and forwards who are playing in France, Germany that are easily gettable by us.  

Koita and Berisha are two young fast strikers who can play the high pressing game that Dean Smith wants to implement and solidify. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I understand fans wanting us to sign talent from across Europe but didn’t we do that the year we went down? It’s very hard to strike the right balance. 

Did it last year and stayed up tbf. Recruitment is complex.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So apparently Wilson prefers Newcastle and we’d prefer him to go to Newcastle too.

Am i supposed to feel disappointed by this?

Let them have him. Bang average player that won't improve

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I understand fans wanting us to sign young talent from across Europe but didn’t we do that the year we went down? It’s very hard to strike the right balance. 

and very nearly last year.

Can't see us outbidding Newcastle changing much if thats where he wants to go. Still not convinced our interest is anything other than showing brentford we have other options as well as Watkins.

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I have on the transfer thread. @Villain4Life has numerous times too. @Tomaszk has numerous times. @Jas10 has also made some cracking suggestions. Others have also named a few strikers and forwards who are playing in France, Germany that are easily gettable by us.  

Koita and Berisha are two young fast strikers who can play the high pressing game that Dean Smith wants to implement and solidify. 

I trust V4L's judgement, I found Jas' suggestions to not be realistic either as they were all highly touted and sought after youngsters, and I have tomaszk on ignore so have no idea who he suggested.

17 minutes ago, lexicon said:

But it's not just Austria, it's RB Salzburg, who are known and respected as finders of great talent across the continent. Any other team in the Austrian league, sure we'd have a great chance of signing their best players, but not them IMO. 

Didn't Southampton sign Mane from Salzburg?