Callum Wilson

Delphinho123

2 minutes ago, Rolta said:

You don't know we're not getting him! I'd hold back on that delight. 

Callum Wilson tells agent he wants Newcastle United move - as bidding war heats up for striker.

The 28-year-old shares the same agent as Matt Ritchie and is eager to sort out his future.

Callum Wilson has told his agent that his preferred move this summer is to sign for Newcastle United.

The Magpies are effectively involved in a bidding war for the striker's services with Aston Villa tabling the latest proposal at £21million for the AFC Bournemouth star.

Wilson's representative Will Salthouse threw winger Matt Ritchie into the equation earlier in the week as part of swap deal, but the winger - believed to be on £65,000 per week - is torn over a return to the South Coast or seeing out his peak years on Tyneside.

Ritchie signed the lucrative deal back in March and is contracted at United until 2023.

Wilson's wages at Bournemouth have dropped to £75,000 per week with the Cherries after relegation and he wants to leave to pursue his England career, something he can only realistically achieve in the top-flight.

Salthouse is planning to hold further talks with managing director Lee Charnley and football secretary Richie Hines over the weekend as Newcastle look to kickstart their summer transfer window.

Mike Ashley is in Miami but has sanctioned some cash buys providing they fit into the club's new outlook on finances amid the pandemic.

Although, United's slow-paced window is arguably down to the approval of big money deals via Ashley and the time taken to get firm answers.

Wilson would love to join the Magpies but the interest from Aston Villa is strong and the latest bid underlines their intentions to win the race for the Coventry-born striker.

Link

No player looking to move would want it to be public knowledge who his preferred destination is as with all transfers things can collapse at any moment. The player cannot risk alienating one club by stating his preference for the other club....and I’m pretty sure his agent wouldn't want to do that either. 

If we sign him we do....if we don’t then we move on but this ‘claiming to know a players private preference’ is a non-starter IMO. 

31 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

How do we know he would turn us down? He might not even be interesting in coming here anyway.

I wouldn't be disappointed in the slightest, nor would I read one bit into it if he went to Newcastle. 

Doesn't mean we should panic in the assumption that we can't sign anyone  better.

Agree it could be anything

- we don’t want to break our wage structure for him

- couldn’t persuade him we’d develop him technically (probably less importance given his age)

- couldn’t guarantee Jack will be around

Wages seems the most likely. Wilson is 100% not worth breaking wage structure for and In the process harming team morale. imagine trying to explain to Grealish, Mings, McGinn, Luiz that Wilson is worth 80/90k/week and they’re worth 30-60k/week. 

16 minutes ago, SuffolkVillan said:

Yes, don't forget he scored 8 in 32 last year, Wesley got 5 in 21

I don't really see the relevance. 

If wilson turns us down are we getting a striker that scored more Premier league goals than him last season?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

If wilson turns us down are we getting a striker that scored more Premier league goals than him last season?

He only scored more because Wes got injured . People love slating Wes , had he played 35 matches , he would've outscored Wilson.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

Well of course he'd be interested - I'm sure he'd much rather come to us than stay at Bournemouth, but maybe he prefers Newcastle? As I said, he's a Coventry lad.

I can understand why he would look to move as far away from Coventry as is possible. He did much the same thing when he moved to Bournemouth. ;)

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

My point was Wesley's scoring rate is same as Wilson's. Both crap. The original question was"Do you think we'll sign better than wilson if he turns us down?"  My answer was yes because Wilson is no better statistcally than Wesley

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

I mean hasn't he said he would rather join Newcastle? 

Some North East based journalist has said that, even before a Newcastle bid was allegedly made. Unlikely a player or agent would make this known - player would want the longest contract and largest salary, agent would want the biggest fee.

5 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

How would it make sense for a 28 year old Coventry born lad to prefer a move to Newcastle, at later stages at career most want to move back closer to home

16 minutes ago, John said:

I can understand why he would look to move as far away from Coventry as is possible. He did much the same thing when he moved to Bournemouth. ;)

• Haha 1