Matty Cash

paul514

3 hours ago, rbcuk said:

Been crap for ages, for an ex winger his crossing is atrocious, his defence awareness is non existent, hopefully Unai gives Guilbert a chance to impress as he can’t be anyworse than cash

It's hard to argue with that. He does resemble a headless chicken at times.

• Like 1

Just coming back from injury & recovering from   Gerrard ball , I think he should get till January before he’s can be fairly judged… A v.good player on his day, but I’ve also not alway seen the hype in him… 

Or you never know, If he may have a great WC then maybe Atletico will come in big for him in January… Inconsistent like so many of the team 

Edited by thabucks

7 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I didn’t watch the game today but from what I’ve been told is something I’ve been saying for a while - Cash is average on the ball. KKH might not be able to defend as good as him but KKH is superior on the ball and movement going forward. 

He has a decent enough long range shot but technically he is quite poor. All energy and honest player but is lacking some things to be a good Premier League full back

• Like 1

It's been a lot of energy and bluster, some moments of magic but a huge number of frustrating moments.

As mentioned, for an ex-winger, the final ball into the box is poor on far too many occasions. I know his role is high-energy but he's constantly on the wrong side of the opposition attacker and prone to giving away penalties or having to let them run through to avoid a card/penalty. It would be excusable if the attacking play resulted in produce, ala, Trent AA but there's not a lot.

It's the same things happening time and time again. He's still a very good player, he has attributes but he's not got that competition or threat to his role. The one we do have is out on loan.

Hopefully, under UE, the mistakes and clumsy-ness reduces but he can't transform all the players at once. 

I love Cash's energy and work-rate but it only gets you so far. 

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Gerrard veto'd taking £45m for him from Atletico of course.

I find that hard to believe. Given how bad he is at crossing there's no way we would have turned down an offer like that for him and there's no way Athletico were willing to pay €50m for him.

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

He is a prime example of how our transfer system is floored. We seem to look for bargain players who we think we can improve but ultimately they have floors in their game that we cannot address.

Cash and Watkins are fine athletes. They are strong, relatively quick and they can run all day. They do however have massive technical floors to their game. The opposition do not have to work hard at all to get the ball back from them. It’s like taking sweets from a young child.

So often the ball gets played out to Cash and he is instantly pressured by one/two players and we lose possession. Even when he takes the ball in space, his distribution is poor, as is his decision making.

We then have other players like Emi/Phil/Ings/Bailey who are technically good enough but do not have the physical capability to be effective in the league. 

I read someone else on another thread suggesting that Chambers may get selected at right back ahead of Cash. I would also pick Young ahead of him at the moment. He is a championship winger trying to make it at a big PL club. You can’t fault his effort but he is out of his depth.

What's going on here? Have you been reading my mind this morning mate? Again exactly what I've been thinking. We overpay for incomplete players who seemingly look value-for-money, but have holes in their abilities. If nothing else, they're mentally weak. Our whole team is.

Our recruitment tries to be clever, but gets outplayed most of the time.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I’ve thought for a while we’ve needed to upgrade on him. He’s not great on the ball, doesn’t cross well, defends ok but I don’t think he’s a top 10 premier league full back 

I think this is where I am at with Matty as well. I don’t think he has kicked on as the recruitment team had hoped. He is a great athlete, but I don’t think he will ever gain the other components to his game  like defensive intelligence that we had hoped for. His attacking play hasn’t improved either, as he was very potent in attack at Championship level with Forest.

Decent enough for mid to lower table, but too rash and gets caught out too regularly for a top of the table team.

Saying all that, hopefully Unai Emery will unlock those components mentioned above, and he will prove me wrong. If he can’t then nobody will.

People forget so easy, last season most were hailing him as our best performer, in fact I think he was player of the season, there was a lot of talk Atlético wanting him for around forty million or whatever it was, but no one complained or asked why we didn't sell him when he signed his new contract not long after, or complained when scored four with three assists last season,

Also I doubt it was Gerrard that stopped the sale, if it was no one was crediting him with that when everyone, or most were happy that Cash had signed a new deal, but now Cash has been out form Gerrard is suddenly to blame for not selling him.

• Like 1

Cash has been a good signing overall 12m and he is worth more than double that. He is going through some very poor form but we need to get a top rb in to compete with him so his form dips like now he is out.

Chambers can play rb id give him a go there in the cup see how he does

17 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I didn’t watch the game today but from what I’ve been told is something I’ve been saying for a while - Cash is average on the ball. KKH might not be able to defend as good as him but KKH is superior on the ball and movement going forward. 

I think average is being generous tbh.

Â