Matty Cash

paul514

He's definitely the weak link defensively. I feel sorry for him because he isnt awful and hasnt regressed as a footballer - it's just that everyone around him has either been signed as a higher level player or improved massively under the new coaching team, so Cash stands out

Edited by StewieGriffin
  • Like 1

It was pretty standard Cash today, one reckless moment, a lot of backwards passing, lots of running and a half-decent effort on goal.  He allowed Konsa to put in a faultless display at centre half which was the main thing.

• Like 1

I really don’t get Matty cash as a player. 

defensively he’s too stand offish, shit at tacking and doesn’t intercept much.

Offensively he does take any on, never beats his man, his crossing is poor  

he sort of works in the grand balance, but as an individual I rarely see what he offers 

Cash is the chaos right back. He demonstrated that perfectly v Lille. We all know we can upgrade here but the boy has the fight and heart of a lion. He’s plenty good enough to be a squad option . 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I really don’t get Matty cash as a player. 

defensively he’s too stand offish, shit at tacking and doesn’t intercept much.

Offensively he does take any on, never beats his man, his crossing is poor  

he sort of works in the grand balance, but as an individual I rarely see what he offers 

Cash is pretty much average at anything which on paper is fine, but it makes him very tactically weak. You aren't as strong defensively as if you had a pure defensive RB for instance when we play Konsa at RB. And he's not good enough going forward when Kamara used to drop into RB position.

If you replaced him with a more capable full back we'd look so much more dangerous going forward or much more solid defensively 

• Like 1

He’s still so bad going forward for an ex winger. He doesn’t beat his man, he can rarely cross and he’s not great on the ball. 

For the the most frustrating thing about him is how limited he is in tight spaces, whenever we are in possession in the opposition half, when the ball goes 9/10 its going back. We'd be a lot more dangerous with a more creative and gifted player, which should be one of the focus purchases this summer 

2 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

He's definitely the weak link defensively. I feel sorry for him because he isnt awful and hasnt regressed as a footballer - it's just that everyone around him has either been signed as a higher level player or improved massively under the new coaching team, so Cash stands out

Like the reverse of Alan Hutton, hes some sort of "legend" because everyone else around him got shitter and he suddenly started to look alright 😂

• Haha 1

He’s a really likeable lad who always puts a shift in but he’s definitely someone we will need to improve on if we’re to be playing at Champions league level. I’d keep him in the squad though, because he is a very useful player. 

Those thrown ins have more distance on them than most ‘Prize Where It Lies’ contestant attempts. 

Apart from the pen I thought he did vert well today. Does offer a lot more going forward with him in the team than when Konsa is rb. A bit of a liability defensively but the last home game against Brentfird we conceded 3 so against a very good Bournemouth side the defence did pretty well.

just watching MOTD, just noticed he lost the ball before it was recovered and we scored the second.

He lost it right on the edge of their box, he just jogged back and wasnt even in view 10-15 seconds later when we turned the ball over on the edge of our own box, then went up the other end and scored.

thats terribly lazy, you lose the ball and then jog back like you have no cares in the world, should be busting a gut.

not impressed.

Edited by MaVilla

The kid’s got bags of heart. Scored a last minute winner against Boro in the cup, got the crucial goal against Lille, fronted up in the shootout as well. For me despite any limitations he stays in the squad 

• Like 2

Love him. But his inability to pick a pass, pass the ball inside or put in a good cross stands out like a sore thumb. Hopefully it will improve, but he seems limited. 

A quality RB sadly is what would make the biggest improvement to our team right now.

Would still make a great number 2.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/04/2024 at 09:45, Skruff said:

Would still make a great number 2.

This all day long.

He's not the RB you want as first choice if you're chasing top four every year, but he's the backup you want in that situation.

I think he walks into most mid/lower table prem teams - he's good enough at most things but exceptional at nothing.

Â