Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Seems odd that Ollie might be the top scorer and the top assist maker in the league this season and not be in the running for Footballer of the Year.

or not go to the euro's....now that would take some explaining.

That 3rd, showed all the aggression, I have doubted him for.....showing that in front of Southgate, might have booked his passage.

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Seems odd that Ollie might be the top scorer and the top assist maker in the league this season and not be in the running for Footballer of the Year.

He has to be a contender at the very least.

Odds for him to win most assists are very generous, 10/1. Bookies not backing him to win top scorer either, which makes more sense to me.

15 hours ago, Enda said:

Odds for him to win most assists are very generous, 10/1. Bookies not backing him to win top scorer either, which makes more sense to me.

Can you bet on most 'goals + assists'?

Most assists - Willian Hill and Betway are 12/1.

Edited by ender4

Good that he got a little rest the last couple of weeks.  Seems to be over his injury based on that performance, and it's given Duran a bit of time to get used to our style and some more experience.

But if we want to finish in the top 4 he needs to be playing in all our games.  He's such a class above that, just like Pau missing from defence,  the whole team struggles when he's not playing. It just corrupts our shape and way of playing too much. 

For that reason, there's no amount of money that i'd accept for him, at least none that any club would offer. Talking needing above world record fee.

He's clearly very determined, and just like he left Brentford to come to us, he'd leave us to take a step up as well if the opportunity arose. I doubt he's the type to kick up a fuss or down tools if we rejected a £100m bid for him though, so it's a no brainer to keep him for me. There are less key jigsaw pieces we can sell (although again I wouldn't want to) if we are struggling to meet FFP.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Has to be in the reckoning but all the talk is Foden. Guessing Palmer will win the young one. 

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Good that he got a little rest the last couple of weeks.  Seems to be over his injury based on that performance, and it's given Duran a bit of time to get used to our style and some more experience.

But if we want to finish in the top 4 he needs to be playing in all our games.  He's such a class above that, just like Pau missing from defence,  the whole team struggles when he's not playing. It just corrupts our shape and way of playing too much. 

For that reason, there's no amount of money that i'd accept for him, at least none that any club would offer. Talking needing above world record fee.

He's clearly very determined, and just like he left Brentford to come to us, he'd leave us to take a step up as well if the opportunity arose. I doubt he's the type to kick up a fuss or down tools if we rejected a £100m bid for him though, so it's a no brainer to keep him for me. There are less key jigsaw pieces we can sell (although again I wouldn't want to) if we are struggling to meet FFP.

Ollie will be 29 next season has a contract with us until he's 32 and he's in his prime, can't see anyone paying the money we'd want for him.

As crazy as it sounds though, depending on FFP if we were offered 100m+ I'd consider it, if it meant we had room to buy 3/4 top top level players to take us on another level. Spurs have sold Bale and Kane and still pushed on.

Unai also has a history of getting goals from his number 9s everywhere he goes.

Can't see us selling anyway and Ollie has been brilliant for us and would be difficult to replace.

5 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

Ollie will be 29 next season has a contract with us until he's 32 and he's in his prime, can't see anyone paying the money we'd want for him.

As crazy as it sounds though, depending on FFP if we were offered 100m+ I'd consider it, if it meant we had room to buy 3/4 top top level players to take us on another level. Spurs have sold Bale and Kane and still pushed on.

Can't see us selling anyway and Ollie has been brilliant for us and would be difficult to replace.

This for me is why I'm not worried if we sold Watkins or he pushed for a move.  Unai will get 20+ out of someone else. 

• Like 1

Watkins won’t be sold unless someone offers a truly staggering amount. He’s up there with Haaland, Salah and De Bruyne as the best attacking players in the league in terms of goal contributions (without pens), is always fit and is continually applying himself and improving. If anything, he’s demonstrating captain credentials. 

Can't think of a better English Premier league player atm, foden on his day but over a season it has to be Ollie, Superb player, Dean Smith picked a diamond.

• Like 4

Cant imagine some clubs not testing the water in the summer when he ends top of the goal and assist charts in the best league in the world. That alone puts you on the radars of the top clubs let alone if you delve a little deeper into his character and attitude which is top aswell. Worth over £100m easily in this day in age. Whether Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool will pay that, remains to be seen.

Hopefully CL will be ours and he’ll be leading our line in it.

1 hour ago, VillaJay said:

i think if we were offered 100m+ for any player we'd have to consider it. it's the sort of money we simply cannot turn down. we can't replace him with that money, but we could sign 2 very, very good players for that. but we're not getting that...we only got that for grealish becuase of the clause. if that wasn't in place city would've **** about with add ons and probably got him for 80m

we could get toney for 50/60m for a start. not as good as ollie, but at least it's guaranteed goals in this league

• Like 2

22 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

He won't even get team of the year, they'll put Haaland in it despite him dropping off this year and if anything looking even more limited as just a goalscorer (don't get me wrong a damn good one) 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He won't even get team of the year, they'll put Haaland in it despite him dropping off this year and if anything looking even more limited as just a goalscorer (don't get me wrong a damn good one) 

Haaland shouldn't be near team of the year (as yet, he may have an incredible end of season).

12 hours ago, VillaJay said:

Spurs have sold Bale and Kane and still pushed on.

Don’t disagree with your wider point on sales sometimes being fine but I do question this… Spurs finished below us last season and are head-to-head with us this season - they’ve finished outside the top four in 3 of the last 5 seasons. Despite us coming from the Championship at a time they were already a CL team, and all the advantages they have with stadium etc, we are now basically in the same bracket of teams around the top four, not as good as the title chasers, hoping to make it into the CL and a few dodgy results away from slipping down the table. I’m not sure that can be called pushing on from their perspective. 

Anyway - I think the big point from me, as others have said, is I think Watkins is worth more to us than he is to eg Arsenal, which makes it hard to see a deal getting done. But yes, if we sell him, it could lead to more good things - you only ever know in retrospect. Same as we are a better team now than when Grealish was playing for us, even though we lost our star/talisman/captain.

Â