Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

When you've scored 20 plus goals and we've conceded 3 times from 3 crosses with free shots , centre of goal, unmarked 6 yards out....yoi absolutely can dig them out.

I'd have gone worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ollie sounded like a captain last night. That’s exactly what I hope McGinn is saying behind the scenes. Then difference being that Ollie has the the recent performances and conduct for the words to stick.

Playing like a lad who doesn't want to give Safegate any excuses for leaving him out of the Euro squad. He's been very consistent the last couple of months considering we as a team aren't very consistent at the moment. I'm thinking he's now ahead of Bailey and Luiz for POTS. The latter 2 have struggled of late, but I think that is probably down to being exposed. Leon through isolation of a natural RB and Dougie playing deeper and being smothered in the middle. Either way, thank the Lord Ollie hasn't let it affect his own game. He's been fantastic overall.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think we should be very concerned about Ollie Watkins long term future at Villa following his comments about the team lacking a big team mentality. He one of the best strikers in the PL and wants to win stuff. If that doesn’t look possible at Villa, imho he will be off. Yesterday’s result may come to haunt us! 😞

Edited by MikeMcKenna

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

100% for me - you just can’t argue with those numbers. It’s been a step up from him from what was already a high base.

I agree. I think he's become much more clinical this season. Very seldom does he miss sitters, always a willing runner and holds the ball much better than previously. 

I watched him early in the game yesterday and his first touch wasn't great for the first 20 but after that he hardly put a foot wrong. Everything stuck, he brought others continually into the game through the transition and was positionally where he needed to be when the final balls came into the box to earn his goals. He's been like this for a good few months now. Yeah he had a blip earlier in the season but nowhere near previous years. He's becoming Mr Clinical.  

I still think he needs to work on that first touch with his back to goal but I don't think anyone could argue how good he is at the moment. He's been fantastic. 

18 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

I think we should be very concerned about Ollie Watkins long term future at Villa following his comments about the team lacking a big team mentality. He one of the best strikers in the PL and wants to win stuff. If that doesn’t look possible at Villa, imho he will be off. Yesterday’s result may come to haunt us! 😞

I am not too concerned. I think Ollie was speaking in frustration at dropping the three points yesterday, I think OW is selecting and magnifying negatives too. I am sure when he reflects back on the full game - he will see a lot of positives. I get Ollie's sentiment (some of what he said) but I think it would have been better said internally - don't feed the media machine or shit on your colleagues. 

I think we have shown a "big team" mentality considering the injury list we have, which is the worst in the league. Since the Utd defeat - we fought back to win at Luton,  we fought back to gain a point yesterday. Don't get me wrong, we have weaknesses but the team are in a new territory and there has been progression in the mentality since the Utd defeat in Dec.

As Emery said...."be balanced"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I agree. I think he's become much more clinical this season. Very seldom does he miss sitters, always a willing runner and holds the ball much better than previously. 

I watched him early in the game yesterday and his first touch wasn't great for the first 20 but after that he hardly put a foot wrong. Everything stuck, he brought others continually into the game through the transition and was positionally where he needed to be when the final balls came into the box to earn his goals. He's been like this for a good few months now. Yeah he had a blip earlier in the season but nowhere near previous years. He's becoming Mr Clinical.  

I still think he needs to work on that first touch with his back to goal but I don't think anyone could argue how good he is at the moment. He's been fantastic. 

Yes I feel the same - If Ollie’s first touch improves as you say, it could catapult him into elite status among the very best strikers of this era on an international level.

2 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

Yes I feel the same - If Ollie’s first touch improves as you say, it could catapult him into elite status among the very best strikers of this era on an international level.

His 1st touch for the goal at Luton was sublime. As was the winner at Spurs.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

If Arsenal (as rumoured) came in for him in the summer, what would be the minimum price you'd accept?

More than they (or anyone) will be prepared to offer.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

If Arsenal (as rumoured) came in for him in the summer, what would be the minimum price you'd accept?

Half of Digne’s net worth.

• Haha 1

I’m not really sure what to make of Ollie’s comments yesterday. Of course they were mostly out of frustration and he can be forgiven for that. I never think it’s a good look though for a player to criticise his teammates, even implicitly. Ollie’s had a few off games as well- he took a while to get going this season. Would we think it reasonable for a defender to come out and implicitly criticise that?

It is also worth noting that Ollie’s criticism isn’t actually valid based on evidence. We have an excellent record of winning games having taken the lead. If we have a problem this season that distinguishes us from the “big clubs” it’s not mentality. It’s simply squad quality. As Liverpool will attest today, even the best clubs throw away leads every now and then 

38 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

There is no way we could replace Ollie with one footballer. The strategy would have to be to analyse and break down Ollie’s key attributes. His creativity, his assists, his goals. To find these qualities and others in three forward players.

• Haha 3

Â