Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

If we get awarded a penalty against Bournemouth I wonder if Ollie wouid take it 

Nah, even with Luiz out there are still others you'd want taking it ahead of him.

• Like 1

Just now, Mantis said:

Nah, even with Luiz out there are still others you'd want taking it ahead of him.

With how much his finishing has improved, I'm not so sure of that anymore. Tielemans maybe.

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

With how much his finishing has improved, I'm not so sure of that anymore. Tielemans maybe.

Yes the old Ollie maybe but I'd back him.to score now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Surely the 20 goals in a season is finally going to happen. 

And couldn’t happen to a more deserving guy. Without penalties as well, it will be an unreal achievement. 

Best striker we’ve had in the premier league era. 

We should just give him the pens! 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

And couldn’t happen to a more deserving guy. Without penalties as well, it will be an unreal achievement. 

I completely agree!

id like nothing more than for Ollie to eclipse “Father of the year” Yorke and our all time record scorer Agbonlahor…

Frankly having those two as the figureheads for our scoring stats is a little bit embarrassing considering how much of a pair of tits they are

• Like 1

If we’re two nil up, Ollie’s got both and we’re given a penalty with ten minutes left, I’m happy with him stepping up to take it.

Under a more nervy set of circumstances I’d give pause for thought.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, birdman said:

Just arguing with someone who is adamant Ivan Toney is the better option for England due to his link up play and the fact he's different to Kane. And the old chestnut Ollie had a quiet game etc etc 🤦You can't have the season Ollie is having and not be picked. Surely that is just facts? 

Toney is different to Kane? Not seen enough of him to know for sure but Ollie as a defence stretcher and presser is completely different to Kane, I was leaning towards it being Toney because he is more like kane and Southgate doesn't have to do anything different with him whereas Ollie I don't think Southgates set up works with him 

That said Southgates set up... It's brilliant sat here seeing kane on 30+ goals chasing the bundesliga record, Watkins on 19, Solanke on 17, Palmer on 16, Bowen on 15, saka and foden on 14, Bellingham I think has over 20 - saw a stat the other day that only 5 players across Europe have 20+ goals and 10+ assists in all comps this year and 4 of them are English - knowing full well that we will look shit in front of goal this summer 

We're a racing bike with stabilisers on 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Half a year ago I would've said no Benteke is better but now I'm inclined to agree. Sure Benteke put up similar goal numbers (not assists though) in a much worse team but Watkins just adds so much more all round. Also, Watkins' fitness levels and resistance to injury are insane and have to count in his favour if you're having that discussion.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

I completely agree!

id like nothing more than for Ollie to eclipse “Father of the year” Yorke and our all time record scorer Agbonlahor…

Frankly having those two as the figureheads for our scoring stats is a little bit embarrassing considering how much of a pair of tits they are

The dream would have been to have Benteke and Ollie as our top two.

My go to has always been Yorke as best premier league era forward/striker. To be honest my inclination is still that, but I can’t argue against the reasoning for saying Ollie now has that title. 

I’m just thinking back to the time when he was bought, the weeks leading up to it seemed to drag (he doesn’t actually sign for us until over 130 pages into this thread), the transfer value kept increasing and there was a reasonable amount of posts that were not terribly happy with the price we paid :)

I don't want to take anything away from him because he's absolutely brilliant, but his goal today takes a deflection of Smith-Rowe, right? He goes for a chip of sorts but it's the touch off the top of ESR's boot that loops it up over the keeper yeah? Might have gone in anyway but it's not quite the sublime chip I initially thought it was

Again, not trying to detract from him, he forces the goal either way and he's been sensational this season. Beautiful player.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Nitpicking, but Benteke is still the best striker we’ve had IMO.

As an all-round forward, though, Watkins is the better player. 

49 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Toney is different to Kane? Not seen enough of him to know for sure but Ollie as a defence stretcher and presser is completely different to Kane, I was leaning towards it being Toney because he is more like kane and Southgate doesn't have to do anything different with him whereas Ollie I don't think Southgates set up works with him 

That said Southgates set up... It's brilliant sat here seeing kane on 30+ goals chasing the bundesliga record, Watkins on 19, Solanke on 17, Palmer on 16, Bowen on 15, saka and foden on 14, Bellingham I think has over 20 - saw a stat the other day that only 5 players across Europe have 20+ goals and 10+ assists in all comps this year and 4 of them are English - knowing full well that we will look shit in front of goal this summer 

We're a racing bike with stabilisers on 

Yes agree. The biggest problem is not the Ollie/Ivan one....but Southgate and his cherished handbrake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pongo Waring said:

Best Villa striker in my lifetime
Best Villa striker since Pongo Waring

I see what you did there 😃 but it’s still probably Andy Gray or Gary Shaw 👍🏻

• Like 1

Â