Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's almost been unfair of us to expect him to NEVER be injured in fairness.

As I mentioned in Duran thread, I'm strangely excited to see how we cope without him on a big stage.

I think it's opportunity for a few of them to play out of their skins!

I wouldn't start Duran. We have better options, such as Diaby or Zaniolo.

We don't need Duran lumbering around, flying into tackles, getting sent off and smashing shots over the cross bar. That said, it would be good to have Diaby fresh for the winnable game against Brentford.

• Haha 1

We all sound very defeatist. Its a major loss losing our key player for such an important game tomorrow. Man city have a makeshift defence. I don't know who they have available tomorrow. Last game Duran started he was dreadful. Let's hope he's better tomorrow. Need Ollie back for Brentford. 

Duran will upset the Man City defence with his rugged style of play.  Not sure he can do it for 90 minutes though. 

I’m no expert but surely if the hamstring scan shows a “small injury”, he’s unlikely to be back for the weekend either. Unai was equally dismissive of the Ramsey injury yet we’ve not seen him since. Hopefully, I’m wrong and he’s fighting fit for Brentford. What do you think @Deano & Dalian's Umbrella?

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's almost been unfair of us to expect him to NEVER be injured in fairness.

Not all of us, I’ve been banging on for what seems like 18 months about the need for a proper back up striker but always shot down about Ollie never being injured, look how Ollie was when Ings was here, we have Duran, we have 10 other players that played as striker in their youth or previous life.  I get there were some solid arguments in there but it’s one of the main positions that we don’t have a quality option.  

Duran is the enigma but I am a little concerned with CL place and ECL cup in the next two months or so at stake...just have to keep my fingers crossed he can or somebody else steps up.  Talk about bad timings for injuries that we’ve had this season.

4 hours ago, PaulC said:

We all sound very defeatist. Its a major loss losing our key player for such an important game tomorrow. Man city have a makeshift defence. I don't know who they have available tomorrow. Last game Duran started he was dreadful. Let's hope he's better tomorrow. Need Ollie back for Brentford. 

You do, I'm not sure others did?

41 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not all of us, I’ve been banging on for what seems like 18 months about the need for a proper back up striker but always shot down about Ollie never being injured, look how Ollie was when Ings was here, we have Duran, we have 10 other players that played as striker in their youth or previous life.  I get there were some solid arguments in there but it’s one of the main positions that we don’t have a quality option.  

Duran is the enigma but I am a little concerned with CL place and ECL cup in the next two months or so at stake...just have to keep my fingers crossed he can or somebody else steps up.  Talk about bad timings for injuries that we’ve had this season.

The lack of injury history works against a back up striker. You're going to pay a lot of money for someone to sit on the bench for what 35-36 matches a season? 

It'd be one thing if Ollie wasn't all that great but he's clearly been chosen (to the point of jettisoning out Ings) to start every match as long as he's healthy and he has a long track record of remaining fit. Duran is the ideal case, though not against the ideal opponent.

5 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

The lack of injury history works against a back up striker. You're going to pay a lot of money for someone to sit on the bench for what 35-36 matches a season? 

It'd be one thing if Ollie wasn't all that great but he's clearly been chosen (to the point of jettisoning out Ings) to start every match as long as he's healthy and he has a long track record of remaining fit. Duran is the ideal case, though not against the ideal opponent.

Plus we signed ings and that clearly didn't work. Watkins went into the worst form of his life because of the additional pressure. 

49 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah totally agree. We need a proper back up striker and I think we will go for one in the summer. We just have to hope Ollie is back asap so that our season doesn't fall apart. 

It doesn't sound like he will be out for too long but that's how most Villa injuries sound, until they last months. 

We should be ok. I reckon he will be back within the couple of weeks.

• Like 1

On 02/04/2024 at 16:51, WallisFrizz said:

I’m no expert but surely if the hamstring scan shows a “small injury”, he’s unlikely to be back for the weekend either. Unai was equally dismissive of the Ramsey injury yet we’ve not seen him since. Hopefully, I’m wrong and he’s fighting fit for Brentford. What do you think @Deano & Dalian's Umbrella?

Although what you suggest is very logical, there are a number of things to consider here.

Firstly, Emery did not say that the scan showed a small injury he just said that there was a small injury, so they may be purely going on the players symptoms.

Second, MRI is able to detect very small changes in muscles. For example delayed onset muscle soreness, which is what you feel The next couple of days  after going to the gym, will show up on MRI but you would definitely be able to play a few days after that.

Hamstring strains are graded on a three point scale ranging from grade one which is microscopic tearing, to grade 3 which is a complete rupture. The healing time For a grade one strain isn’t really that long, but even then, studies have shown that the average return to play time in professional footballers Is about two weeks.

But I agree with you that if the MRI is showing an actual injury, then Saturday would be either too soon or too risky or both.

• Thanks 3

21 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

The first muscle injury he has had in 4 seasons i think. 

That's basically because he has run himself into a standstill. Looked knackered ever since the Ajax injury.  Ideally he could have rested in the international break but obviously he wanted to impress.

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not quite what I meant, Unai

you should start betting on stuff, seems you have the ability to get filthy rich.

On 02/04/2024 at 10:31, GlobalVillan said:

I wouldn't start Duran. We have better options, such as Diaby or Zaniolo.

We don't need Duran lumbering around, flying into tackles, getting sent off and smashing shots over the cross bar. That said, it would be good to have Diaby fresh for the winnable game against Brentford.

Disagree 

Â