Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Utd after a new striker - what chance they go for Watkins? 

they already paid a fortune for Rasmus so they have screwed themselves there in any striker is either a back up or puts him on the bench.

Not a chance he goes to United, I think he’s an Arsenal fan so that’s the only possibility. No one can afford him and I don’t think he would want to leave anyway. 

4 hours ago, allani said:

Disagree on the second of those (and struggling to remember the first).  With the second you absolutely want your main striker to be looking to fashion half a yard of space and get a shot away.  If he'd got it on target it would have been difficult for the keeper to save cleanly (or even get to it at all) so you're then looking for your other attackers / midfielders to be getting on the end of any save / block / deflection and to bury the rebound.

I can't link to it but it's the first action on the TNT highlights video on YouTube.

Tap in was probably hyperbole but McGinn was in loads of space and wide open for a pass. He was in a far better position than Ollie.

I'm not saying he was bad by any means but that was a huge chance that many teams would be killing.

5 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

When the pressure hits you find out who’s the real deal.

We all know Martinez excels under pressure but Watkins has been an absolute revelation and is now for me the only candidate for player of the year. If anything, he’s the one who has found his voice and seems to be thriving the harder it gets.

Hopefully McGinn can have a similar response (the signs are there following the performance v Lille) as we need him at a similar level to get us over the line. 

Watkins has been phenomenal this season, shut me right up for the most part with the concerns I had previously.

That said, with better decision making on Thursday we could have as good as killed the tie off.

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Watkins has been phenomenal this season, shut me right up for the most part with the concerns I had previously.

That said, with better decision making on Thursday we could have as good as killed the tie off.

Think Ollie was the first to admit that in his post match interview. He was very disappointed in his own performance and said he should have had at least 2. Probably an assist as well if he'd have looked up a bit.

It's good he's so hard on himself though. Shows he isn't content just to rest on his laurels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthEastVillan said:

Think Ollie was the first to admit that in his post match interview. He was very disappointed in his own performance and said he should have had at least 2. Probably an assist as well if he'd have looked up a bit.

It's good he's so hard on himself though. Shows he isn't content just to rest on his laurels.

Fair enough, I'd not seen that. All I saw was him saying we should have scored three or four.

Pricks on Sky desperately trying to get a headline quote out of Ollie about him being " An Arsenal Fan ".

He handled that well:

" Yeah when I was growing up... But now I'm playing against them... there's nothing more to say "

😂

Pricks

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

The best part about his goal today was all the Arsenal fans screaming offside then Gary Neville reminding them that you can't be offside if your in your own half....

Edited by AshVilla
  • Haha 4

19 goals now.  What a fantastic season and throughly deserves to reach 20 plus goals. 

How can he not be in the conversation for PL player of the season?  

• Like 4

His best season for us so far. Love the guy to bits. I've thought this for a while, but seeing him lean on the Arsenal flag has made me believe it even more- he is, for me at least, well on his way to becoming a Villa hero.

Something has changed within him since Emery has come in. So mucb less reserved. More relaxed and with that you see how he can score and assist so many  . I think also that he realises he can achieve things here with a manager that is perfect for him. He might have been Arsenal growing up but make no mistake he is Villa now. Bit like Merse.

• Like 1

Â