Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

I wouldn't sell Ollie for anything this summer and we have no incentive to do so for a few reasons.

• 5 year contract signed in 2023 - unless he makes a stink, have no reason to move - and doesn't seem to be the type to do so unless player and club found a way
  • A scarcity in the CF position - very few true CF positions out there that can do it all back to goal, linking play, getting in behind, and scoring. These are the only players at that level with Ollie for me
    • Kane
    • Haaland - weaker link up play and back to goal
    • Benzema - older
    • Lewandowski - older
    • Osimhein
    • Then a giant cliff to the next set of players
  • Unreal fitness

This set of combinations has always made him hard to replace but now that he's being played as an out and out striker instead of a quasi left forward for most of his career, you're really seeing the counting stats pile up.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 2

On 08/04/2024 at 19:40, OutByEaster? said:

Seems odd that Ollie might be the top scorer and the top assist maker in the league this season and not be in the running for Footballer of the Year.

Remind me. Who does he play for again? 

8 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I wouldn't sell Ollie for anything this summer and we have no incentive to do so for a few reasons.

• 5 year contract signed in 2023 - unless he makes a stink, have no reason to move - and doesn't seem to be the type to do so unless player and club found a way
  • A scarcity in the CF position - very few true CF positions out there that can do it all back to goal, linking play, getting in behind, and scoring. These are the only players at that level with Ollie for me
    • Kane
    • Benzema - older
    • Lewandowski - older
    • Osimhein
  • Unreal fitness

This set of combinations has always made him hard to replace but now that he's being played as an out and out striker instead of a quasi left forward for most of his career, you're really seeing the counting stats pile up.

And that’s without pens. If he had pens he’d be well clear ahead as the best forward player in the league this year. 

Edited by DakotaVilla

2 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

And that’s without pens. If he had pens he’d be well clear ahead as the best forward player in the league this year. 

But maybe for the best for the team and his confidence that he's not on permanent penalty duty!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

• Kane
    • Benzema - older
    • Lewandowski - older
    • Osimhein
  • Unreal fitness

You sell him you go backwards. It might make financial sense but would rather sell.any other player than Watkins 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PaulC said:

You sell him you go backwards. It might make financial sense but would rather sell.any other player than Watkins 

Martinez is irreplaceable. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Martinez is irreplaceable. 

To an extent but goalscorers are even harder to find and we have one with 28 G+A in 31 appearances. That's absolutely elite numbers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

i assume you dont remember seeing him take pens 😁

Ive no issue with Pens being included, we dont exclude one yard tap ins. A goal is a goal.

• Like 1

Totally agree re his past pens but If you look at Ollie’s self development you can be damn sure that he’s been working on his penalties and is probably itching for a chance to get them back. Will be interesting to see what happens if we get a pen in the next two league games whilst Luiz is suspended.

39 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Totally agree re his past pens but If you look at Ollie’s self development you can be damn sure that he’s been working on his penalties and is probably itching for a chance to get them back. Will be interesting to see what happens if we get a pen in the next two league games whilst Luiz is suspended.

Would assume it goes back to Ollie. I’m sure they’ve been practicing pens for these knockout rounds anyway. 

Yeah unless Ollie has a catastrophically bad record in training I would think he would be taking them in Doug's absence.  Every other facet of his game has improved so I don't see why taking penalties won't have.

• Shocked 1

Bryan King taking Watkins, "We lack a big team mentality" out of context. The comment is not a dig at the size of the club per se, more "Big" as in a more successful club, because consistently successful clubs are far less inclined to have the nine minutes of madness we had on Saturday. I do however, agree that it would have been better left for the changing rooms, because, as we can see, these kind of comments are always open to interpretation. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

On 10/04/2024 at 17:47, sharkyvilla said:

Yeah unless Ollie has a catastrophically bad record in training I would think he would be taking them in Doug's absence.  Every other facet of his game has improved so I don't see why taking penalties won't have.

The thing with pens is you can get 10 out of 10 in training, but in a match where a penalty is all important, then it comes down to mentality. Prime example, Harry Kane against France.

Edited by sheepyvillian

On 10/04/2024 at 20:36, DakotaVilla said:

If he had pens his stats wouod be the same. Just with more missed pens.

There's a reason he got taken off them.

Â