Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

10 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

If he gets to 20 goals 10 assists and gets left behind we may as well just pack it in. What else can he do?

Keep scoring 20 goals and 10 assists for Villa.  Feel the love from a proper coach / manager / tactician.  Say **** you to one of the most boring England managers we have ever had.  Some people bang on about Southgate's record in tournaments whilst overlooking the fact that I think he's only ever played one team ranked higher in the FIFA rankings (France last time out).  We've had an extraordinary run of avoiding the fancied teams even when it looked like we'd drawn the tough half - all the other teams somehow found a way of either ending up in the other half or losing to a team they were expected to beat.

We had Croatia and Italy for toast and both times rather than killing them off, Southgate got us to sit back and allow their midfielders the time and space to start dictating the game.  I don't get the whole "he's got us to a semi-final and a final" thing - for me he cost us both tournaments (or at least the chance of getting to the final in the first).

8 minutes ago, allani said:

That assumes Southgate won't be saying the same thing to Toney.  "Stay at Brentford and you'll only be back-up to Kane.  You need to be playing for City and winning the CL to be in with a good shout of staking a claim for the starting position."

He could be I guess. Let's be honest Toney is not there next season either way, he clearly wants out. Brentford fans know this and just want top dollar for him. But Watkins clearly is enjoying working under Unai and for a team in the top 4 and signed a new contract recently. 

58 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think we need to realise that not everyone else are Villa fans and stop having meltdowns because they don't see/value our players like we do.

A number of them will feel the same way about their own players.

It’s the opposite here though. He’s objectively having a world class season. It isn’t only us who think that. 

I mean he starts for half of the teams in the top 10 and he might not even make it into our squad at all, not even because other players are better. It’s mental. Not just as a villa fan. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisvilla4 said:

Gambling shenanigans aside (which is/ has been seemingly conveniently ignored) would anyone here swap Toney for Watkins? Essentially, that's what Brentford did. 

They both offer differing options imo - I do rate Toney and personally I think he will be Southgate’s go to back up striker, however I don’t particularly like his demeanour, Ollie is much more humble and grounded and based on this season Ollie should be the back up guy - it’s a no brainer for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

They both offer differing options imo - I do rate Toney and personally I think he will be Southgate’s go to back up striker, however I don’t particularly like his demeanour, Ollie is much more humble and grounded and based on this season Ollie should be the back up guy - it’s a no brainer for me.

100% where I'm at.

I think he's worth taking just for everything he can offer to a team as a whole, even if Toney goes as well.

He can probably do things which one of the midfielders/forwards who wouldn't get a game anyway can do and more probably.

Why is the argument Toney or Watkins , I mean why not take both and leave Rashford at home instead , out of form all season and offers nothing 

this way Safegate has a backup Kane in Watkins and Toney to bring on instead of Rashford in the event of  a penalty shootout 

• Like 2

Living abroad I get pretty unbiased opinions. My foreign mates know I’m a villa fan so they’ve been talking villa up a lot this season and they often say how great Watkins is. I tell them he probably even make it in the England squad for the euros and they’re stunned. 

This is great for us. Watkins still has something to prove so will be busting to get more goals and assists.

I really don’t give a damn about England, especially under this fraud of a manager. 

• Like 2

It would be the most Southgate thing ever to take Ollie to the Euros and only bring him on for 10 minutes (as we're on the brink of defeat against someone like Croatia in the knockouts) only to play him on the left wing and keep Kane up top.

17 hours ago, nick76 said:

To be fair to that argument, if we had Toney, would we swap him for Watkins, the answer from most would be ‘No’.  The fact is there is not much choice between them they just have different strengths.  

Ollie deserves the spot after the season he’s had whereas Toney has been out because of his own fault.  

Unfortunately life doesn’t work that way and now it’s down to one man that has the tactical ability equivalent of Gerrard.

That's the lowdown of it all.

• Toney has the slightly better scoring ratio in the Prem, but Ollie has played more games, more experience.
  • Ollie has scored over 10 goals in 9 seasons consecutively, Toney has done 6.
  • Both have good fitness records....but Toney has been out for such a long time, this season.

It is close, but for me to take 3 in a squad of 23, is ok.... 2 is a bit thin.

Think he needs to forget any hope of playing for England, he plays for the wrong club (not London based or a sky scum side) to get the plaudits he deserves! They are pretty much noshing Toney off, its nauseating! 

Media have already wrote his England squad hopes off. 

He can just fire us to the CL and stick 2 middle fingers up to them all. 

1 hour ago, JPAngel said:

It would be the most Southgate thing ever to take Ollie to the Euros and only bring him on for 10 minutes (as we're on the brink of defeat against someone like Croatia in the knockouts) only to play him on the left wing and keep Kane in defensive midfield.

fixed for you

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Think he needs to forget any hope of playing for England, he plays for the wrong club (not London based or a sky scum side) to get the plaudits he deserves! They are pretty much noshing Toney off, its nauseating! 

Media have already wrote his England squad hopes off. 

He can just fire us to the CL and stick 2 middle fingers up to them all. 

He's an attacker, so is completely the wrong fit for Southgate's England tbf.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthEastVillan said:

You just know whats going to happen ahead of time anyway. He'll take Toney, who will hardly feature, and when England crash out early the exact same media outlets who were crying for him to be picked will blame Southgate for not taking Ollie instead 😉 

"England flounder as their top contributer sits at home" 

You can just see the headlines now.

I feel the same as you tbh, I always want England to do well, but I have 0 passion for the national team at the minute. 

I agree and even though I will watch every game, the football bores the hell out of me and I don’t expect much each game.  I didn’t even get excited when Bellingham scored the last second to get a draw, I just watched the restart and then turned off the tv when the ref blew the final whistle.  Delighted Ollie helped get the draw in aiding the goal but knew he wouldn’t get the credit he deserved for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

That's the lowdown of it all.

• Toney has the slightly better scoring ratio in the Prem, but Ollie has played more games, more experience.
  • Ollie has scored over 10 goals in 9 seasons consecutively, Toney has done 6.
  • Both have good fitness records....but Toney has been out for such a long time, this season.

It is close, but for me to take 3 in a squad of 23, is ok.... 2 is a bit thin.

Ollie has played a bit of European football 

2 is enough, he'll overplay kane so 3 is a waste, instead he'll take rashford who can cover 2 roles (badly being irrelavent) 

• Like 2

Â