Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Watkins is dangerous in wide areas with the ball in front of him, he can hold the ball up, but for England he mainly just sort of waits in central areas for the ball to come to him - too passive.

Gaweth would have jizzed his pants when Betfair scored the penalty

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richp999 said:

Noone has mentioned ollies part in the goal. 

Still watching, let's see if it's *ever* mentioned. 

Seems the media want toney. 

I'm beginning to care less and less tbh. Let them take Toney, he'll probably get 10mins at the finals anyway. International football just bores me 😴 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, richp999 said:

Noone has mentioned ollies part in the goal. 

Still watching, let's see if it's *ever* mentioned. 

Seems the media want toney. 

I’m not a Southgate fan by any means but to be fair he will see it. I still think he’ll take Toney mind you. 

13 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's mental isn't it?

10 assists, 16 goals was just to have a single chance in a meaningless friendly, and after that, it's over?

13 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

to be fair, that is the opinion of the media. I would expect much more consideration from the England leadership. Games are chances and performing certainly will be a big tick in the box. I think Konsa for instance really took a good chance in the week.

Ollie has been around that squad now for a number of meetups, they will know his capabilities and what he adds. Similarly for a 23 man squad, Gareth will probably only take two strikers so it does feel a straight shoot out with Toney. 

Cheltenham is right, the media have Always and forever been like this.  Southgate clearly ignores the media, so this won't affect his thinking. His stubbornness is usually a fault, but probably not on this occasion. 

That said, I think he'll take Toney. His England don't play to Watkins many strengths, so Toney is the better option.  And as a result, we will repeat his failings of previous tournaments. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, supermon said:

Ah man this looks bad for Ollie from what the pundits are saying. Hope this doesn't get to him. Just have to go on a mad hype between now and end of season.

Hopefully Watkins can use it to his advantage. I trust Emery to continue getting the best out of him.

Thought he did well for England's 2nd goal last night but as someone said got very little praise for it, appalling treatment by the scummy little media to be honest who want that pr*ck Toney to go over him. Toney has more presence in the team but I still think Watkins is a better overall player and with the season he's had for us it would be ridiculously unfair for Mr Paddy Power to go over him who's put his feet up for 5 months of the season. 

If Watkins doesn't go then surely he has to take Konsa who should be ahead of Dunk at the very least and he doesn't rate Tomori who isn't great on the ball. If no Villa players get selected for England after our best season in God knows how long then I really will consider not bothering to watch England this summer.

• Like 1

Toney must have a world class PR team. For some reason the narrative over his betting scandal is framed as a plucky underdog story when it should be what it actually is: fraudulent behaviour with a just punishment. Because he’s seen as an underdog the media is now on his side when they should be challenging the England leadership at every opportunity on why such a disruptive personality is anywhere near the squad 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

If he gets to 20 goals 10 assists and gets left behind we may as well just pack it in. What else can he do?

This is the problem isn't it.

I want Villa players to be able to fulfil their ambitions of playing for England (though not for Sareth's version of England, and I'd be happy to avoid the injures), and Villa to be the most represented club for England players again, but what message would this send to Englishmen playing for or thinking of joining us who have those same aspirations?

You're better of sitting on City's bench basically.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

I totally expect Watkins to miss out on the Euros, with Southgate opting to take Toney as back up for Kane.

Southgate said before the match yesterday that Toney offers the same as Kane and drops deep to start the attack… so that fits in with Southgate’s one dimensional brand of football.

Southgate will also use the excuse of being able to deploy Rashford, Foden and Bowen in a central attacking role too.

it’ll suck for Ollie who will no doubt be the top scoring/assisting English striker in the premier league come the end of the season. 

• Like 1

Toney is an easy pick for boring non technical and tactical football which Southgate plays and easily slots into his Plan A if Kane is injured. Southgate doesn't have the tactical knowledge like Unai, Pep, Klopp, otherwise he would have worked out a plan B by utilising Ollies attributes. Which in turn why England won't win anything with Southgate in charge. Any good manager will have more than one plan and sadly Southgates downfall would mean Ollie probably won't be chosen for the Euros

14 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Toney just looks livelier than Watkins sadly. He actually presses and closes down the defenders unlike Watkins. Watkins plays far too chilled in an England shirt, it's ok for us as he has a genius of a manager, but for England he needs to bust a gut like Toney has and get involved in the game.

Sadly I think Toney has the edge especially as he can take penalties too. It's not fair really as Ollie has had a far better season in the league and not been banned for 5 months, but he missed his chance the other night.

I agree.

I think Ollie lacks the natural aggression of Toney, ( I mean aggression with himself).....However, I think Ollie is the better allround footballer.

I see they missed commenting on the crucial headed ball, he gave to Maddison to keep the ball in play, for Bellingham's goal.

It was only Ezri, who was looking to pass to him,  against Brazil.

I think it takes time to be accepted in an England set up....and he hasn't had enough time.

I noticed a few poor performances from England regulars....but Ollie seems to be the one forensically scrutinised.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

Â