Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

8 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Bit mental seeing the narrative that Ollie blew his chance because Toney scored a pen, think he touched the ball twice in the second half. 

And to be fair while the pundits on TV were poor for this, the papers I saw gave Ollie credit for his role in the second goal (presented as a Southgate masterstroke as two subs combined to set up Bellingham).

Honestly I doubt Southgate has made a decision yet - why bother? See how they perform in the last 9-10 games, how fresh they look, what Kane’s situation is etc. He knows he’s got two good backups and he knows he won’t use them at all if he can avoid it!

• Like 1

Ollie has some of the best stats in Europe. Yeah it's nothing to do with how he's used. Obvs. Toney is better innit. Geez. 

I don't think the straight shoot out has been referenced with any other players around the England Squad.

Harry Kane has earned the reputation he has got, and he is No1 for that role...but he has been given the game time to cement his place......He probably drives the team bus, as well, such is harry's desire to do everything.

Strikers are by nature, easily injured....why can't both go?

but on a selfish note, I don't care if Ollie doesn't go, less chance of injury..... we have already lost JJ for a season to England.

Edited by TRO

In the Watkins vs Toney for England debate, I am surprised no one mentions it's an international shirt. You know, representing a nation. I am surprised no one pick up on the fact Toney is a gambling cheat. 

• Like 2

he obviously wasn't a bad player but still lolz

and yes the Toney gambling thing now forgotten and forgiven, all good move along.

Back on Ollie, it's pointless taking him if you are not going to play to his strengths which Gaweth won't so rather he just stays back and avoids injury. I really hate supporting England under this twonk.

May be an image of 6 people, people playing football, people playing American football and text that says "tball funnys Erdal BAD PLAYER GOOD COACH GOOD PLAYER BAD COACH BAD PLAYER 5 BADICOACH"

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, supermon said:

Ah man this looks bad for Ollie from what the pundits are saying. Hope this doesn't get to him. Just have to go on a mad hype between now and end of season.

Pundits know shit. I would be amazed if he isn't in the squad.

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

If you can't see why Southgate would prefer Toney over Watkins as the plan B you're deliberately obtuse.

But he isnt a plan B, its more of a like for like replacement

Of the 3 then Ollie offers something different

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Zatman said:

But he isnt a plan B, its more of a like for like replacement

Of the 3 then Ollie offers something different

Unfortunately I’m not sure Southgate wants something different, he just wants a back up like for like in case Kane gets injured otherwise Kane will play 95% of the minutes.  Ollie should be going but I think Southgate might favour Toney because of his style and will predominantly be on the bench, hope I’m wrong.

• Like 2

Versatility: Watkins has shown versatility by playing as a winger as well as a striker, offering more options for his team tactically.

Premier League Experience: Watkins has proven himself in the Premier League with Aston Villa, showcasing his ability to perform at the highest level consistently.

Goal-scoring Record: While both players have impressive goal-scoring records, some might argue that Watkins' performances in the Premier League carry more weight than Toney's performances in the Championship.

Work Rate: Watkins is known for his work rate off the ball, pressing defenders and contributing to his team's defensive efforts, which adds value beyond just scoring goals.

46 minutes ago, tinker said:

Work Rate: Watkins is known for his work rate off the ball, pressing defenders and contributing to his team's defensive efforts, which adds value beyond just scoring goals.

Which he literally demonstrated in the last game, yet the entire focus is on his 'poor' performance against Brazil and Toney scoring a pen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

Gambling shenanigans aside (which is/ has been seemingly conveniently ignored) would anyone here swap Toney for Watkins? Essentially, that's what Brentford did. 

No chance.

8 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

Gambling shenanigans aside (which is/ has been seemingly conveniently ignored) would anyone here swap Toney for Watkins? Essentially, that's what Brentford did. 

Certainly not with the way that we try and play.  However, I could see that there might be other systems / approaches that might suit Toney's game better.  Without meaning to be patronising I could see Toney fitting into a Moyes / Dyche side a bit better.  He might even be a better fit for Brentford.  But for us - I'd take Ollie every day of every week.

I think we need to realise that not everyone else are Villa fans and stop having meltdowns because they don't see/value our players like we do.

A number of them will feel the same way about their own players.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

To be fair to that argument, if we had Toney, would we swap him for Watkins, the answer from most would be ‘No’.  The fact is there is not much choice between them they just have different strengths.  

Ollie deserves the spot after the season he’s had whereas Toney has been out because of his own fault.  

Unfortunately life doesn’t work that way and now it’s down to one man that has the tactical ability equivalent of Gerrard.

• Like 3

I wonder how it’ll affect him if he doesn’t get picked.  Obviously the rest over the summer should be beneficial for us next season but mentally how will Ollie feel after such a great season.  Will it knock him back, knock his confidence or will he be determined to do even better.  I’m hoping the latter! Just hope Southgate is not in his ear saying he needs to be at a bigger club to get more game time for England.

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I wonder how it’ll affect him if he doesn’t get picked.  Obviously the rest over the summer should be beneficial for us next season but mentally how will Ollie feel after such a great season.  Will it knock him back, knock his confidence or will he be determined to do even better.  I’m hoping the latter! Just hope Southgate is not in his ear saying he needs to be at a bigger club to get more game time for England.

Like Brentford? 

Â