Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Just now, Mantis said:

Taking only two out and out strikes would be **** stupid. Although that's Southgate.

What does he need a striker for? You don’t win 0-0 with a striker. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Toney just looks livelier than Watkins sadly. He actually presses and closes down the defenders unlike Watkins. Watkins plays far too chilled in an England shirt, it's ok for us as he has a genius of a manager, but for England he needs to bust a gut like Toney has and get involved in the game.

Sadly I think Toney has the edge especially as he can take penalties too. It's not fair really as Ollie has had a far better season in the league and not been banned for 5 months, but he missed his chance the other night.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, david-avfc said:

I don’t think Southgate “hates” villa but it’s abundantly clear he has his biases towards the big clubs, impossible not to see if you watched England for the last 6 or 7 years. It’s always the case that players outside the Sky 6 clubs have to do at least twice as much as those who do play for the chosen clubs To get in the squad or start games.

Is this a Southgate thing or an international manager thing? I think England always had a bias to a small number of high achieving clubs and it does make logical sense. 

Generally the more successful clubs have better players. 

At International football you only get a small amount of time together so players that know each other's game have a benefit. 

The high achieving clubs are more likely to play a style that's similar to Englands.

12 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Toney just looks livelier than Watkins sadly. He actually presses and closes down the defenders unlike Watkins.

I think most interviews I’ve heard Watkins says that Unai told him to stop doing this and it’s why his game has improved so much 

if Southgate leaves him behind he’s a clown , but that said any striker we take is only really there to carry the oranges and water bottles  for Kane 

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

Didn’t even get a mention.

Of course not, and tbh I don't think he'll be going to the Euros in the summer no matter what he does now, sadly.

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Taking only two out and out strikers would be **** stupid. Although that's Southgate.

Two players for every position is the norm, and Rashford can cover there. It ain't that stupid tbh especially when you have Kane.

• Like 1

Yup won't get a mention for keeping that alive when it was a lost cause. Sounds like the media have already picked the squad with Toney going 😂 

Tbh from a selfish point of view it'll be better for Villa if he misses out. Just Hooe it doesn't dent his confidence if so.

Edited by NorthEastVillan
  • Like 3

That's what the 2nd striker role is going to be for England, come on with 10 mins left and chase things down

It's ollies game not Toneys

Had a big block on a defender trying to clear too, that's what England will need to see games out 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Two players for every position is the norm, and Rashford can cover there. It ain't that stupid tbh especially when you have Kane.

Yep, if Kanes fit he will play every minute, we don't need 3 strikers, he'll name rashford as someone who can play 2 roles (badly in both is irrelevant) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's what the 2nd striker role is going to be for England, come on with 10 mins left and chase things down

It's ollies game not Toneys

Had a big block on a defender trying to clear too, that's what England will need to see games out 

Spot on 👍🏻

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It won't be though, Kane will play every minute

If he finishes the season how he has played all season he’ll be going Euros. Personally don’t really care either way as I don’t care about England but always nice to see Villa players involved in these tournaments.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yep, if Kanes fit he will play every minute, we don't need 3 strikers, he'll name rashford as someone who can play 2 roles (badly in both is irrelevant) 

See i wouldn't be playing Kane the full 90 in the group games especially if we're comfortably winning. He always seems to be blowing out of his ass when we get to the quarters.

Edited by jasoncb

Wouldn’t have equalised without him keeping the ball alive. Haven’t heard a pundit mention this yet but I’m sure one will have noted Toney clapping on the bench.

Just now, smg said:

Wouldn’t have equalised without him keeping the ball alive. Haven’t heard a pundit mention this yet but I’m sure one will have noted Toney clapping on the bench.

Noone has mentioned ollies part in the goal. 

Still watching, let's see if it's *ever* mentioned. 

Seems the media want toney. 

Â