Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

5 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I’ve heard the story of him saying this, too: don’t know where, mind.

Your concern pretty much sums up mine: I worry about a midfield three of Jack, McGinn and Doug. Would it leave Doug exposed? Does McGinn have the discipline or appetite to play that role? And does it take something away from McGinn’s game by not having him bomb on etc?

I’m torn in some way: I want him further up field but don’t want him isolated on the wing. 

Nice problems to have, I suppose. 

4-2-3-1 with Jack In the middle of the 3 in a free role. Better wingers either side that will actually occupy defenders and I think he’d work wonders.

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

How much will Brentford really want for him though? They know we have money and love to charge top dollar. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them ask for £40m

In theory, Watkins was/is their best player. Should be anything less than 28m tbh. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

In theory, Watkins was/is their best player. Should be anything less than 28m tbh. 

I think Benrahma is considered to have a higher ceiling and a safer bet though. Watkins goal and contribution stats are great, but Benrahma is the one that really catches the eye.

Just now, Rob182 said:

I think Benrahma is considered to have a higher ceiling and a safer bet though. Watkins goal and contribution stats are great, but Benrahma is the one that really catches the eye.

Reading the Brentfords forums alot actually think Watkins has the higher ceiling. (I was surprised about this too)

@jonjon @Brentfordnylons We all would value your opinions on their potential/ceilings. 

I'm not particularly sold on Benrahma, looks very much like a highlights reel type of player. He's got ability, bags of it, but highlights of any player can morph them into a Ronaldo/Messi hybrid. I haven't seen him in the flesh so I'm speaking from a position of some considerable ignorance, but I'd prefer a winger to be just that - someone who hugs the line, benrahma wonders all over the place. That is not what we need (as we've got Jack), and I think asking Benrahma to stay on his wing (yes yes, cut in, late runs as well etc etc) is not the type of player he appears to be.

I'd actually move on from him.

• Like 1

With Targett, Grealish and Watkins we have our play on the left tied up imo.

Buendia makes far more sense than Benrahma to me. If we have Buendia and Cash we might actually stop playing as if someone's tilted the pitch towards the left hand side and attack down both flanks for a change. Plus, I'd rather we stopped giving Brentford any more money. Listening to more sh*t about the 'Brentford model' from their fanbase of amateur accountants would bore the shite out of me.

Edited by villanmac
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Can we please PLEASE take 11 from Nakamba and give it to Ollie? 

Was thinking this yesterday after watching a video from his old coach at Exeter. Watkins has always been number 11, it’s only fair to let him keep his lucky number. 

Edited by It's Your Round
Found said video
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 7392craig said:

What can’t be underestimated is that regardless of whether they were all tap ins or not, he’s always in the box. When was the last time we had a striker who knew where the box was? They’re usually jogging up from the centre circle when any crosses are going in.

It's a great point.  So many times last season, we got in decent positions and had decent crosses going into the box but no-one got on the end of them.  Judging from the highlights (only, granted) Watkins seems to be pretty adept at finding space around the 6 yard box - drifting slightly off the central defenders, or just being very central. 

Obviously Premier League defending is better than that in the Championship, but that sort of awareness is definitely something we were missing last season.

• Thanks 1

Any tories on here with a Times sub? Want to read the full article - 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/ollie-watkins-ticks-most-boxes-for-a-modern-striker-except-top-flight-experience-q0tbvgwfn?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1599616897

Eyebrows will be raised at the fee but there is no doubting the talent of the player: Ollie Watkins is about as sure a bet as there is in the Championship. It was a blistering season for the Brentford forward, who is quick, skilful, athletic, intelligent and a scorer of all manner of goals. The 24-year-old ticks most boxes in a modern forward — apart from top-flight experience, hence those questions about that hefty £28 million fee.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Reading the Brentfords forums alot actually think Watkins has the higher ceiling. (I was surprised about this too)

@jonjon @Brentfordnylons We all would value your opinions on their potential/ceilings. 

I think less than Watkins about 20 mill,great player but a much bigger gamble than Oli.Just my opinion no ITK on this 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Any tories on here with a Times sub? Want to read the full article - 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/ollie-watkins-ticks-most-boxes-for-a-modern-striker-except-top-flight-experience-q0tbvgwfn?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1599616897

Eyebrows will be raised at the fee but there is no doubting the talent of the player: Ollie Watkins is about as sure a bet as there is in the Championship. It was a blistering season for the Brentford forward, who is quick, skilful, athletic, intelligent and a scorer of all manner of goals. The 24-year-old ticks most boxes in a modern forward — apart from top-flight experience, hence those questions about that hefty £28 million fee.

Thats one huge E...

Â