Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

50 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Absolutely delighted.

Cannot believe the negativity honestly. I think people have forgotten how much players  cost in 2020.

I'm glad he's an intelligent person because the lad will need thick skin this year. People are going to dive on him at every opportunity. Many have piled in clearly without having seen him play. I'd recommend he get off social media and tell his Mrs to be careful. He's got a lot of eyes on him.

Good question. He's the second best striker and the second best winger. And he's the second cheapest and definitely on the lowest wage.

Never in a million years. That's some Trump level story telling right there. 

57 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Genuine question: is he? 

Would like some unbiased views on his actual qualities, strengths and weaknesses.

He seems to have the right personality, attitude and workrate. Seems a determined lad too (shite, sounds like I’m describing Trez!) but how technically gifted is he and how much prowess does he have (variety of finishing)? Is he good at one on ones for example?

Can he really be a reliable & top striker/goalscorer at PL level?

I know he’s had a great season and scored plenty of goals but he seems like a difficult player/signing to judge as he’s had one excellent season in the Championship (jump up to PL is huge and lesser players have been prolific there) in a new position for one season. He wasn’t much sought after before when he’d been playing wide, maybe he has massively developed?

I don’t have a clue which is why I’m asking but I’d welcome more neutral or balanced views.

Take out Kane's long range shooting and that's the general game Watkins has. Clearly not at that level yet, but that's the game he's trying to play. (Watching Harry tonight though, goodness me I wouldn't pay £28m for him)

It's a very all-round approach.

Holds it up, runs channels, will come deep to collect if needed, gets in the box once the ball is forward/wide. Good head, decent left foot, 

I am a bit nervey about the fee. But he's a really good player and we're paying a mighty sum for the privilege of removing some of the usual risks you would have with this kind of deal.

He's English so less chance he won't settle, he knows the system, he knows the manager, his wages will be relatively low.

I don't think he's better than Eduoard for example. But he's less of a risk of flopping IMO. Both would be welcome.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I feel we have overpaid for a Championship striker. But it is what it is I guess. Definitely put a downer on the season ahead. We really needed a proven top level striker and for that money we could have got one. Instead we are ending up with Watkins.

This is so ridiculous. Chris Wood doing fine at Burnley after tearing it up for Leeds in Championship. Loads of players from Championship did great in PL last season. I'm delighted if we sign Watkins and you're on a downer??? FMD

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Take out Kane's long range shooting and that's the general game Watkins has. Clearly not at that level yet, but that's the game he's trying to play. (Watching Harry tonight though, goodness me I wouldn't pay £28m for him)

It's a very all-round approach.

Holds it up, runs channels, will come deep to collect if needed, gets in the box once the ball is forward/wide. Good head, decent left foot, 

I am a bit nervey about the fee. But he's a really good player and we're paying a mighty sum for the privilege of removing some of the usual risks you would have with this kind of deal.

He's English so less chance he won't settle, he knows the system, he knows the manager, his wages will be relatively low.

I don't think he's better than Eduoard for example. But he's less of a risk of flopping IMO. Both would be welcome.

Agree with all especially the last bit

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

This is so ridiculous. Chris Wood doing fine at Burnley after tearing it up for Leeds in Championship. Loads of players from Championship did great in PL last season. I'm delighted if we sign Watkins and you're on a downer??? FMD

Football fan in difference of opinion shocker :) But yeah I am massively let down if it happens. I want us to be buying up not down.

17 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I feel we have overpaid for a Championship striker. But it is what it is I guess. Definitely put a downer on the season ahead. We really needed a proven top level striker and for that money we could have got one. Instead we are ending up with Watkins.

So who would’ve you preferred? Wilson? Deeney? Origi? Benteke? Pukki? Rodriguez? 

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Football fan in difference of opinion shocker :) But yeah I am massively let down if it happens. I want us to be buying up not down.

He's a much better signing than Wilson or King. Come end of season you'll see

• Like 1

That’s not how it works though.  When we lose our best players, we lose them to teams above us not below us.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Absolutely delighted.

Cannot believe the negativity honestly. I think people have forgotten how much players  cost in 2020.

I'm glad he's an intelligent person because the lad will need thick skin this year. People are going to dive on him at every opportunity. Many have piled in clearly without having seen him play. I'd recommend he get off social media and tell his Mrs to be careful. He's got a lot of eyes on him.

Good question. He's the second best striker and the second best winger. And he's the second cheapest and definitely on the lowest wage.

Puts it into perspective on how great a deal this is, and not to get caught up in raw numbers. 

Of that I have no doubt. I doubt he is going to be a better signing than Wesley and thats what we need immediately.

Did you say Maddison Mount Maupay et al were downer signings or only Championship players we sign. Genuinely curious

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

This is the signing that will define Smith's time at the club. Huge amount riding on Watkins. 

This is fair.

EDIT: I've actually has a second thought here. 

I think it's likely to decide if he stays this season. He will have pushed this massively. After what he's achieved in one and a half seasons, he deserves the chance.

If he does get sacked and Watkins is crap, I'll still be thinking about the ten in a row and promotion season in 25 years.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 4

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Did you say Maddison Mount Maupay et al were downer signings or only Championship players we sign. Genuinely curious

I think Championship signings generally* need a season in the PL to contribute. And yeah am down more on us because we are already built around lower quality players. A side like Chelsea has proven top quality across the squad so they can bring through Championship players more comfortable.

*lets hope Watkins is one of the exceptions.

6 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Of that I have no doubt. I doubt he is going to be a better signing than Wesley and thats what we need immediately.

I'm very confident he will be. 

Wesley scored in 4 games. 

Went 12 games without a goal, 4 with not even a shot. 

Even if watkins isn't scoring, his pace and movement will benefit us. I think he's going to be a big signing for us. 

• Like 2

Â